Eaglemoss company gone?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Vale, Jul 12, 2022.

1. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I took out my five EM starships yesterday and perused their detailing: I have a standard version of the Enterprise-C, Probert-Concept Enterprise-C, SS Conestoga, STO CSN-01 Khitomer, and a Special ST: Bey USS Enterprise (Refit).

All jolly decent diecast, not without their flaws - but all exceptional and worth every penny, IMO.

Whatever the opinions on EM’s quality, I think most will agree they took a massive deep dive on producing a multitude of background starships and vehicles, the likes of which may never be seen again (by Trek collectors).

2. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Did eagle moss ever build this ship that I have in my fact files??? I want one.
    3B6935CF-5ED2-4E3B-996A-7506047F8A5F.jpeg
    It’s a shame they couldn’t spell ‘embedded’.

publiusr likes this.
  3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

saddestmoon likes this.
  4. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Might grab one whilst I can then! But actually no I won’t because I don’t trust them now. :wah:

How much are 3D printers? I am sure that I can use my Star Trek Fact Files to generate printing schematics! I am rubbish at painting though… would someone paint it for me? :guffaw:

137th Gebirg likes this.
  5. 137th Gebirg

They've come down in price over the years, but if you're going to do ship models, and unless you plan on painting them yourself, you may want to get the ones that support multi-colored resin. There's also the resolution to consider, some of the lower-end ones you can see the blocks and it looks like something that was made using Minecraft, scaled down. I don't have one myself but I've known many who do and they like them, FWIW.

saddestmoon likes this.
  6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There are other online toy stores that stock EM product. Bigbadtoystore.com is my go-to place.

saddestmoon, Kor and 137th Gebirg like this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It depends on the quality you want. They have definitely gotten cheaper and I have even worked with teen clients who saved enough money to purchase one, about $300 US. The only struggle was really in the fact that you have to check what file type the printer can print. Some of the cheaper ones use their own proprietary formats and not all 3d applications work perfectly.

That said, there are websites that can print files and mail it to you. Have not priced it in a bit.

As for painting, just look up a local gaming shop and ask around. I've started doing painting custom action figures myself and it actually just takes time and patience. It's not perfect but it's not impossible either.

Timofnine likes this.
  8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

That looked odd to me as well. But apparently "imbed" is a less common variant spelling of "embed." It's listed in a number of reputable dictionaries, and it has appeared in various professionally-published books and periodicals.

Edit to add re: printing:

It's pretty expensive to use the print-by-order sites. It's cheaper to get your own 3D printer. Decent ones can be found as cheap as $200, sometimes less if on sale through Amazon. Gcode is a pretty standard file format, so if the printer can use that, then you're good to go. There's free software that will convert other commonly used 3D formats such as STL and OBJ to Gcode. It does take some work to assemble and set up the printer in the beginning, though, and then to dial in the right settings, etc.

Kor

9. 137th Gebirg

Plus, the STFF was a Brit production, so it's entirely possible it was one of those Queen's English vs. 'Murcan English spelling differences. :D

McCoy's Disco Collar and Kor like this.
  10. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

Well I just packed up all my E-D parts... a sad day :sigh:. I had waited quite awhile to start the build and had up to issue 70-something. My plan was to have this be my summer project and had already gotten to issue 22 of the build... . again, a sad day.

11. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah I was holding off buying the books in the hopes they would continually be updated and maybe once Streaming Trek wound down there would be a definitive edition. Guess we know that won't be happening. Guess I'll have to take whatever's out there, wrong scales and all.

I often thought of a hypothetical situation where I suddenly became rich and unwisely blew my fortune on these things. It was always a 50% probability that I would actually spend money on these things. They did just not reach that sufficient ostentatious level of conspicuous consumption. Like I couldn't try to art snob these things, "Yes, well here you see my collection of Bajoran freighters, only 700 were made and sold at an Ohio Comic-Con. I have three, one of which actually received the correct color scheme..."

Argosy and The Wormhole like this.
  12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An episode of Fags Mags and Bags focused on a woman who'd bought every issue of the Titanic part work, which got cancelled with one issue to go.

13. Char Kais

Char Kais Commander Red Shirt

Already exists.

Paramount Global licensed Star Trek construction blocks to BlueBrixx, a LEGO-compatible construction block sets manufacturer from Germany.

[​IMG]

https://www.bluebrixx.com/en/sets/star_trek?filter=parts&order=desc

All videos are in German. For some reason, word hasn't gotten around in the English-speaking world that such sets exist.

saddestmoon and Ray Hardgrit like this.
  14. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

Can't say that this has been my experience. I received a number of models that had plastic nacelle struts broken, I had to send all of them back and go back and forth with customer service with pictures of the damage and all that. Never got to keep anything.

15. Vale

Vale Guest

I've had to return a few models over the years – particularly in the Doctor Who range – and they always let me keep the defective one. I assumed it was because I live in Ireland, so shipping costs would have made returning them not worth it.

16. PicardWasTaken

PicardWasTaken Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

don't know if there is already a form for this, but since Eaglemoss is at a high chance of shutting down, are there refunds to orders that where never shipped, or will the orders still be delivered, or what? Im very sad to see this happen to such a great company, and i hope that things will be resolved.

17. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

18. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I’m not sure how it works in the UK, but in the USA regular customers are usually at the bottom of the list for getting paid back - you’re probably better off trying to get your credit card company to reverse the charges.

McCoy's Disco Collar likes this.
  19. PicardWasTaken

PicardWasTaken Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

thanks for the help!

McCoy's Disco Collar likes this.
  20. McCoy's Disco Collar

McCoy's Disco Collar Commander Red Shirt

Damn. I have three ships on pre-order: the Stargazer XL, the Cerritos, and the Vancouver. Three of my favorite designs ever, and now we'll likely never see them.