E-Book Pricing Alerts

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Apr 4, 2017.

1. DWMarch

DWMarch Captain Captain

I've been checking on these titles every day since the beginning of the month and they have never gone to $.99 for me on Amazon Canada. Checking the US site from the S&S link they don't show as being on sale either.

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Really? That's odd, Amazon Canada is showing the sale prices for me.

[​IMG]

ETA: My apologies. It seems I only ever checked the pricing on Last Best Hope and Dead Endless... and those appear to be the only ones that Amazon has marked down. The other books in the sale (the three numbered DS9 books and the one numbered VOY book) don't appear as marked down on Amazon for me either. :(

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  3. historypeats

historypeats Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey all,

Just letting you know that most of the July deals @Koric posted earlier have gone live at Amazon.com. DS9's Fearful Symmetry and The Long Mirage, TNG's Balance of Power and Perchance to Dream, and VOY's Death of a Neutron Star have each been discounted to $0.99. However, David Mack's omnibus edition of Destiny remains at its original price. (June's $0.99 and $1.99 deals are also still live for now.)

Koric likes this.
  4. DWMarch

DWMarch Captain Captain

I forgot to mention I did end up picking up Dead Endless at the beginning of the month at the sale price but that and Last Best Hope (which I picked up in an earlier sale) were the only ones that have shown up as marked down on Amazon.ca. However, I did get the new deals that came out yesterday, as @historypeats noted.

All in all, I'm slightly dismayed that I missed out on a few books but I know they'll go on sale again eventually. And I'm very relieved that Canada is still included in the deals!

Avro Arrow likes this.
  5. Avro Arrow

I checked Kobo Canada, and the July deals are available there too! :D Like you, I am very relieved that it seems we are still included, and June just seems to be an unfortunate glitch.

I did get Dead Endless from Amazon. It's not ideal, but it's better than not having it in digital at all. (And if it does get marked down again in a future sale, then I'm really only out 99 cents + tax for a Kindle version that I'd no longer need.)

Although it is disappointing to miss out on those numbered novels, since they don't seem to be part of the sales very often. Unfortunately, I can't even get them for "free" with Super Points.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  6. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

Yes I picked up a few of the July books on Kobo Canada. Still none of the June books were ever on sale. Oh well.

7. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

In the UK, at eBooks.com, all the sale eBooks are £0.82. At Kobo and Amazon in the UK, they are £0.99.

So if anyone is in the UK and wants Star Trek eBooks in ePub, get them from eBooks.com as they are not charging VAT for them. And because they are DRM free, you can use Calibre to convert to read on a Kindle.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    lawman and Elwro like this.
  8. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Good to know! I hope that's indicative of the new status quo; it used to be the sales were for North American readers only (and sometimes only U.S. readers). Nice to see them include readers from all over.

Koric and historypeats like this.
  9. historypeats

@David Mack (or any author who'd know): do authors receive reduced royalties when ebooks are sold at a discounted price?

10. David Mack

Generally, yes.

11. historypeats

...Well, that sucks. Now I feel a bit bad about this thread, although the ebooks are always "re-buys" for me after I've already purchased a physical edition.

Avro Arrow and Elwro like this.
  12. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the exception of things like The Last Best Hope, these sales are on books that have been out for some time. If I haven't bought a copy before they go on sale, then the comparison is to not buying the book at all. The royalties from the ebook on sale might be enough to buy the author a nice sandwich, but the bigger value is exposure and word of mouth, which can lead to higher sales on the author's new and backlist titles.

13. David Mack

Sadly, it seems that the Destiny trilogy omnibus was removed from this list before it went live.

Koric and historypeats like this.
  14. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

Kind of a bummer, I was looking to grabbing it and seeing the minor differences from the omnibus to the original kindle versions I have. Not gonna complain though, as theres other books in here I'm looking forward to reading for the first time.

15. DeepSpaceYorks

DeepSpaceYorks Commander Red Shirt

Oh no! That's the only one I wanted this month. I'm rather sad about that. :confused:

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]
    Return to Tomorrow: The Filming of Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Via Lucas Kendall today: “Hello folks! With the print edition almost sold out, Creature Features now presents the long-awaited e-book of Preston Neal Jones' “Return to Tomorrow”, the oral history of ST:TMP! At a very affordable price of $9.99.”

The one TMP fans have been asking about! The one that was originally slated for a 1980 double-issue of “Cinefantastique” - but now so much more! (Note: Still no photos; they were taken for "Cinefantastique" magazine by their own photographer, and are no longer available as a collection of Paramount-approved images.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C9BPK5N

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Koric likes this.
  17. marlboro

marlboro Guest

???

I had no idea that changes were made. I've only read the paperbacks. How much am I missing?

18. Avro Arrow

See this post earlier in the thread. :)

marlboro and Therin of Andor like this.
  19. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Thanks, AA!

I had read a few Trek books before, but the Destiny trilogy got me hooked.

Koric and Avro Arrow like this.
  20. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think these are not sales but continuing low prices, but I found Elusive Salvation, Memory Prime, and A Choice of Catastrophes all selling for less than $7.99, so I picked those up.

Any idea if the second Spirit Walk book will go back down to a more normal price instead of the current one of nearly $15?