News Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves

JoeZhang

Vice Admiral
Admiral

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
is an upcoming American fantasy action-adventure comedy film co-written and directed by Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley, based on the tabletop role-playing game, Dungeons & Dragons, set in the campaign setting of Forgotten Realms, and serves as a reboot to its film series. The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Hugh Grant.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves is scheduled to be released theatrically in the United States on March 3, 2023, by Paramount Pictures.

This looks like a lot of fun and nice to see some big screen fantasy again.

It's probably there to say this don't expect Tolkien and other "yes, m'lady" fantasy. If one were to be less charitable they could say it's to set the mood to Guardians/Ragnarok.

Wow that looks worse than the no-budget SyFy channel moves from the early 2000s. Does everything have to rip off Gunn/Waititi now?

Wow that looks worse than the no-budget SyFy channel moves from the early 2000s. Does everything have to rip off Gunn/Waititi now?

Crappy Marvelesque humor?

Seriously, though: there are any number of established D&D settings ripe with material ready to be adapted into a solid primarily serious D&D film...and they went with an attempt based on contemporary perceptions/trends/memes of the hobby that is going to age poorly.

It looks far better, on every level, than syfy crap and you know it.

And Hollywood is a business, they’re going to make what sells. If Gunn / Waititi sell, then they’ll give the customer what they want and what they’re buying. It’s not Hollywood’s job to “be original” or to keep making films that the public isn’t supporting in great enough numbers to do more than make a modest profit.

I loved movies like “The Green Knight”, The French Dispatch”, “Everything Everywhere All At Once” more than the MCU / Blockbuster tripe that saturates the theaters. Fact is, “tripe” is making billions at the box office, the aforementioned films?

Nope.

It looks far better, on every level, than syfy crap and you know it.

And Hollywood is a business, they’re going to make what sells. If Gunn / Waititi sell, then they’ll give the customer what they want and what they’re buying. It’s not Hollywood’s job to “be original” or to keep making films that the public isn’t supporting in great enough numbers to do more than make a modest profit.

I loved movies like “The Green Knight”, The French Dispatch”, “Everything Everywhere All At Once” more than the MCU / Blockbuster tripe that saturates the theaters. Fact is, “tripe” is making billions at the box office, the aforementioned films?

Nope.
Everything Everywhere All At Once deserved a lot more than what it got, that movie is amazing.
I've never played D&D, but I love fantasy, and the trailer looked like a lot of fun, so I'm definitely very interested now.

Everything Everywhere All At Once deserved a lot more than what it got, that movie is amazing.
I've never played D&D, but I love fantasy, and the trailer looked like a lot of fun, so I'm definitely very interested now.

Agreed on both points. We’ve got serious fantasy in Lord of the Rings, super serious fantasy in Game of Thrones and now we’ve got an MCUesque fantasy in this. I always enjoy Pine in this type of role.

That trailer alone was better than all of that awful D&D movie they made twenty years ago.

Nope: Jeremy Irons and Bruce Payne are infinitely more worthwhile sources of entertainment. The 2000 Dungeons & Dragons film is so bad it's good.

Not feeling this trailer at all. I agree with those who would like a semi serious D&D movie set in the Realms or Greyhawk (or Eberron for that matter). There are also novels that could make some fun films--why keep doing this type of stuff? There's also something else that annoys me about fantasy films and historical movies that really show little attention to detail--and that is people's haircuts. I hate it when people have contemporary styled hair. It may be a tiny detail but it puts me right off.

Back