Dune 2018 (19,20,21...)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

They teased Irulan in Paul's suggestion to Liet Kien that he marry the Emperor's daughter, in Part I.

XCV330 and Commander Troi like this.
  2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Yes, it's Wensicia I'm uncertain about. I expect Irulan is in it for certain.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't count on Wensicia from the sounds of it the farthest Villeneuve wants to go is Messiah.

4. Asbo Zaprudder

The problem with finishing at Messiah is that it leaves Alia in charge, although we do get to see Duncan Idaho again as the ghola Hayt. Alia's descent into madness thanks to her maternal grandfather taking her over is one of the best things about Children. However, if they do Children, they've really got to do God Emperor and that could be a pig of a novel to adapt. I have suggested bookending it around Children and making it into two movies but I don't know if public interest would be sustained.

5. Serveaux

It's fine with me if they just finish Dune, which was a whole brilliant story unto itself. But...

upload_2021-11-7_16-46-5.png

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^ As if the Herbert estate hasn't already done that and more on the literary side for going on two decades. Even if Hollywood does the impossible (and likely economically unfeasible) and adapts everything Dune that Frank wrote, I'd hardly call that "milking" by comparison.
    At the risk of typecasting; Benicio del Toro as Fenring. Characters with idiosyncratic speech patterns are kind of his thing. Mostly though I just want to see that scene where he switches from insipid court flunky to razor sharp political operator on a dime, and the Baron reacts like he just realised he'd been petting a cobra on the head.

7. Serveaux

Of course it's milking -"The Herbert's do it too" doesn't make it something else. Running anything that makes a buck into the ground is the only business strategy the studios have, now.

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Flip the script and cast Shohreh Aghdashloo as the Emperor. ;)

XCV330, Commander Troi and JD like this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That needs to happen.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

They obviously can't cast him, but on my most recent re-read of the original Dune, I imagined William Hartnell as Fenring, and it kind of works.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Oh, that's a terrific dream casting. Bumbling to whip sharp is kind of his thing and he set that standard for The Doctor (although Troughton really cemented it).

Commander Troi and The Wormhole like this.
  12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

So . . . David Bradley? I don't know, he seems a little too old for the role. I know Fenring is presumably in his 80's just like Shaddam, but also like Shaddam one would assume he looks half that age due to the benefits of spice consumption. Either way, Fenring's casting would have to follow suit with whomever they cast as the Emperor since they're supposed to be childhood companions.

As for Shohreh Aghdashloo; as much as I love her in literally everything I see and/or hear her in, they've already established that Shaddam is a man. Other complications include male primacy seems to be a thing in Corrino succession, and as has been noted, you can't have a Bene Gesserit Emperor as it would supremely fuck with the lore of this period. The Sisterhood wouldn't make such a direct grab for power until after The Scattering.

Now, Shohreh Aghdashloo could be a good Wensicia if they go the Susan Sarandon route and fudge the ages a little, or change her to Wensicia's namesake and Shaddam's sister instead (which may just have been an Encyclopaedia thing, I forget.) Failing that (and assuming they get that far) she'd make a formidable Honored Matres.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  13. Asbo Zaprudder

Isn't Irulan and Wensicia's mother meant to be a Bene Gesserit and they are trained in the ways of the BG? Does it make sense to have the (female) emperor be BG? It gives that faction too much power and it would expose their secret machinations and interference at the highest level. I think it would unbalance the whole story.

Serveaux and jaime like this.
  14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

True. I was half joking recalling the Keynes casting controversy

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Ah, I didn't want to bring up that thorny issue for some. I had no problem with that change.

16. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

A friend we rarely see wants to go see this in a theater (he's a *huge* movie geek) and my hubby is amenable, so I should be seeing this again soon on A Proper Screen. :biggrin:

ETA: Oded Fehr would make a good Emperor (I will watch him in anything). There are several women in the right age group on IMDB, including Hana Kinani (who was very good in a 2019 Twilight Zone ep) and Stephanie Ezekiel.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

There is some vegetation but much of what is seen by Dune was introduced by Pardot Kynes and his child Liet. (going by the Dune Enclopedia and original books, not the expanded stuff).

I can't remember how in depth the books got into it but the seas of sand below Dune have a fairly life intense cycle. It's really the only alien life shown in the Dune Universe, and much of that may be the source of the oxygen, including the larval stage of sandworms. Anyway, that's apparently where the O2 comes from, that and Arrakis had once been a very verdant planet with water and plants before the worms were introduced.

It worked for SyFy. Dune Messiah on it's own would be wierd and empty. It should have been included into Children of Dune, anyway. Unless God Emperor of Dune is three movies of a half-man discussing philosophy, lamenting things, then falling off a cliff they'd have to modify it greatly, and shorten it much. After that the series just gets too damned strange to be any used as a movie. Chairdog anyone?

quit reading my mind.

it.. can have mixed results

18. Asbo Zaprudder

It doesn't sound like Villeneuve will be combining Messiah and Children like the miniseries did but we'll have to wait and see.

Those are good suggestions.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can also have some of the best results.

StarCruiser and XCV330 like this.
  20. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Ian McNeice absolutely owned that role. I love rhyming soliloquies, the zest for life (and taking life!). the Baron was two generations away from making a Kwisatch Hadderach, and nearly accomplished the most cunning and underhanded revenge in sci fi (the Possession of Alia). Far more threatening and interesting than the 1984 Baron or the Evil Toad from the current one.

Shaka Zulu and StarCruiser like this.