Spoilers DSC: Wonderlands by Una McCormack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Markonian, May 18, 2021.

?

Rate DSC: Wonderlands

1. Outstanding

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Above Average

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Damian

Damian Commodore Commodore

Could he be referring to Roddenberry's son who's an executive producer. Was the Burn his idea maybe?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Unlikely. "Rod" Roddenberry is a money man, not a writer. He and Trevor Roth run the kind of production company that's strictly an investor and financial partner in other people's productions rather than a creative contributor. I gather he's entitled to consult and give notes, like any executive producer, but he's not a member of the writing staff.

3. Damian

Ok. Thought it was probably a stretch, but it was all I could think of, unless Gene Roddenberry had some secret stash of Star Trek notes we never heard of.

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Maybe its similarity to the premise of “Andromeda”?

5. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Commodore Commodore

I am referring to the essential premise that got sold as Andromeda. The Federation has fallen, people from the past who remember its glory days must rebuild it.

6. Christopher

It's not quite the same, though. The Federation didn't fall, it was just fragmented and weakened. Also, in Andromeda -- and in the original Genesis II/Planet Earth concept it was reworked from -- there was no mystery about the reason for the disaster.

DEWLine and Charles Phipps like this.
  7. Charles Phipps

True, though depending on how long DISCO runs, the Burn was only a mystery for one season.

8. Christopher

Beside the point, since the issue is whether the initial concept was the same as Andromeda's. It's broadly similar, but distinct enough that it's facile and reductive to claim that the premise of the Burn was "Roddenberry's idea." Especially since Roddenberry's idea was set on Earth in 2133 in the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust, and was massively retooled by Robert Hewitt Wolfe to make it a space show. And Roddenberry was arguably just doing a variation on Buck Rogers.

DEWLine and Charles Phipps like this.
  9. Charles Phipps

You are correct and I withdraw my claim.

10. Damian

I just got my copy of season 3 of Discovery on Blu-Ray and watched the first episode of the 3rd season and I wanted to throw another plug Wonderlands' way. I'm finding having read that book before starting season 3 has actually been a big help. Much like reading The Enterprise War before season 2 helped, reading Wonderlands has given me a lot of background that helped me get up to speed with where we are at to start season 3. I'm not having to try to figure all the foundational stuff, like what the Burn refers to, where the Federation and Starfleet are at, why the Discovery hasn't appeared yet.

Yet at the same time the novel didn't really spoil anything. It just laid the groundwork so I could immediately get on board with the season itself.

So if someone hasn't seen season 3 yet, I'd recommend reading the novel before starting. It's largely spoiler free, yet informative at the same time.

Also, it's nice to see some of the characters in action. In particular Book. He was well developed in the novel (one of McCormack's strengths as a writer I thought has been character development so no surprise there). And I already like his character in the show. I'm actually glad Discover went far into the future. There's probably a lot more room for story development being that far distant from the 23rd and 24th centuries. I'm hoping Season 3 pans out as well as it's started.

Kertrats47 and Admiral Rex like this.
  11. Garak234

Garak234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Who controlled Starbase 906 after rhe fall of the white palm?

12. Garak234

And did any of the original 906 Starfleet crew survive?

13. Garak234

while Sahil managed to have a reliable core of Courier mercs, Pennington successfully purchased SB 906 allies leaving it isolated

14. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Pa'Dan, the Cardassian courier, was given command of SB906 by Burnham after the White Palm's defeat.
    No Starfleet personnel survived, to maintain how FedHQ was Burnham's first meeting with 32nd century Starfleet beyond acting comms chief Sahil.