DSC Pros and Cons Game

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Vger23, Apr 28, 2018.

1. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pro:
    Enterprise redesign looks great. Not too much like the original design for it to look outdated, yet not too dissimilar for me to buy that it's the same ship.

Con: Glaring scientific visual mistake in episode 4 - an O-type star that looks like a m-type "red dwarf" to me. (O-Types should be blue-white supergiants).

2. Attentiveluke

Attentiveluke Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Pro: Its the first new star trek series in over a decade.

Con: there hasnt been a likeable character yet in the whole of season one.

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  3. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Pro: Tilly
    Con: CBS All Access

Lord Garth likes this.
  4. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Con: CBS All-Access
    Pro: I'm not living in the US :p

XCV330, pst, catshadowsi8 and 2 others like this.
  5. caseylee4ts

caseylee4ts Lieutenant Red Shirt

Pro: Amazing cast and characters that make you care about them.
    Con: Episode length. I'm fine with 13-15 episodes. What I don't like is that they touted that since they're on CBS All Access, they're not bound by the time limits of normal television, which have to account for ads. That made it sounds like we might get some longer episodes. However, we still got our regular 45ish minute episodes and one that was really, really short. I'm not saying make them feature length, but take a little more time (where it counts) to make sure the stories are done justice!

6. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Pros: The serialized storytelling. It allows for in-depth storytelling and world building. It brings Star Trek to the modern world and presents it in a contemporary way. Probably the best possible approach for Star Trek in 2017-2018.

Cons: The serialized storytelling. The older I get, the harder it is for me to pay attention to things, especially long, serialized TV arcs. Sometimes I miss classic story-of-the-week Star Trek. If you could gave me 13 'new' episodes of TNG, I'd be squeeing louder than you could imagine.

7. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

(This pertains to season 1.)
    Pro: Great attention to details on the props and a wonderful update to TOS designs.

Con: I guess nobody got the memo about the uniforms.

8. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pro: Many likeable characters imo. That includes Burnham, aside from those early bad decisions, that I still struggle believe she'd actually make.

Con: Most of the lengthy monologue speeches. They seem to be there to remind us that this is still the Federation and Starfleet that we know and love, but they feel a little too overdone.

Thowra and Jadeb like this.