DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sykonee, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally agreed, Sykonee. And "Inheritance" really is underrated - I can't help but think that people who haven't seen it read the description and go "That sounds stupid." :rommie:

2. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Week 11: (Ending 12.05.93)
    TNG: Parallels (Airdate 11.29.93)

Nothing much to add here. Good episode; like the parallel universe angle; fun seeing eternal straight-man Worf in such a situation. Fine way for the franchise to head into winter re-runs, though obviously no where near the level of previous season's Chain Of Command.

TNG wins by default, although it's odd that DS9 didn't have a new episode for the week. Don't tell me we're going to start doing that whole 'flip-flop' thing again come January...

Weekly Winner:
    TNG

Next:
    DS9: Rivals

3. Praetor

I've always loved "Parallels." It's hilarious how freaked out Worf is by the time he figures out what's going on. :rommie:

4. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love "Parallels" - Worf was a good choice as he tends to react in a less straightforward way than the others. I was never a big fan of his in TNG but that's partly because his spotlight episodes were always heavy in Klingon lore which I've never been particularly interested in. In a way it reminded me of "Cause And Effect" - Crusher didn't need to be the focal character but she was and it was nice to see her outside her usual doctor role and here it's nice to see a Worf episode which isn't all about honour!

I would have gone for "Sanctuary" the week before though. "Inheritance" is a decent Data story but at the time I was just bored of Data stories. I quite liked the lack of certainty at the end of the DS9 episode as well - something we'd see more of later on.

5. Sykonee

It wasn't a happy ending, but it felt like a retread of Duet, what with the Bajorans forced to deal with their prejudices again and all; unfortunately it lacked the same dramatic punch.

Week 12: (Ending 01.02.94)
    DS9: Rivals (Airdate 01.02.94)

I know there aren't many who like this episode, but I've always enjoyed the 'Day In The Life' angle; there doesn't have to be something weighty every time out, does there? Perhaps not the best episode to return to after re-runs (you can just see yet another drop in DS9 viewership here), but as light fodder to soothe your post New Year's hangover, Rivals is alright.

DS9 wins by default. Must be those devices giving it some good luck to not have any competition this week.

Weekly Winner:
    DS9

Next:
    DS9 - The Alternate

6. Sykonee

Week 13: (Ending 01.09.94)
    DS9: The Alternate (Airdate 01.09.94)

I wonder if the initial plan was to have Odo Origin Story every mid-season; sure seems like it after the first two.

This episode is... eh. I dunno. Seems to suffer the same thing as Sanctuary, with too many plot points crammed in. Maybe the directing or editing is off. And it's a shame that Monster Odo didn't look nearly as D&D wicked as that sketch at Memory Alpha does. There's some good ideas, just wonky execution. But hey, DS9's on it's own right now, so it takes the week anyway.

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next:
    TNG - The Pegasus

7. Praetor

Yeah, it's fortunate "The Alternate" didn't have a competitor this week, methinks. ;)

8. Sykonee

Week 14: (Ending 01.16.94)
    TNG: The Pegasus (Airdate 01.10.94)

In this episode, Riker plays in the holodeck for a while, and-

Huh? What do you mean I'm watching the wrong one?

Yeah, good episode. Undoubtedly the best during for TNG's S7 (save the finale of course). Maybe this is why B5 seems to keep getting putting off its January debut, just knew it wouldn't be able to compete with TNG at this point? Glancing ahead at the episodes TNG will be airing once B5 is underway, that may not be far from the truth. :p

Weekly Winner
    TNG

Next:
    TNG - Homeward

9. Praetor

It's amazing how those holodeck scenes were cut out... :shifty:

10. khaaan!!!

khaaan!!! Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I really liked this episode, in the same vain I like the fun TOS episodes that do not take themselves too seriously kind of like Mudd’s Women (Although that at least had a better message). Plus, Molly saying “Rumpelstiltskin” was cuter than a basket full of kittens :-)

Love this project btw. I wanted to post my thoughts on DS9 when I rewatched it last for the first time since the end but I watched the episodes too fast (I was not a member here at the time just joined yesterday).

I remember being bored to death by the 1st season of DS9 the first time it aired (in my defence I was 9 at the time though) I missed the next two seasons since the CBC stopped airing DS9. Then I got cable for season 4 and was hooked J

Rewatching DS9 I was surprised at how good the 1st two season were, they had conflict, quick character development, not too many heavy handed massages, already had a darker tone, and they started to plant the seeds for what was to come. All things that I missed when I was 9 :-p

11. Sykonee

Week 15: (Ending 01.23.94)
    TNG - Homeward (Airdate 01.17.94)

Vorin: "Where am I?"
    Picard: "You have just left a simulation of what you perceive to be reality."
    Vorin: "Whoa."

There are good things about this episode: Worf in a unique situation, Vorin's discovery, even meeting Nikolai. Heck, the basic plot is good too, just strains believability unfortunately. I mean, if you got a whole village in a faltering holodeck, why not just filter in some kind of sedating gas for the rest of the trip? Problem solved. Ah well.

TNG takes the week, but decides to sit on the sidelines as DS9 comes back for the next one. Why? Perhaps the cagy veteran wishes to do a bit of scouting before taking on not just the confident second-year challenger again, but also another fresh rookie coming out of a year of training camp. Let them beat each other into a pulp for now, eh?

Weekly Winner
    TNG

Next:
    DS9 - Armageddon Game
    B5 - Midnight On The Firing Line

12. Sykonee

Week 16: (Ending 01.30.94)
    B5 - Midnight On The Firing Line (Airdate 01.26.94)
    DS9 - Armageddon Game (Airdate 01.30.94)

And so it (properly) begins. The moment for this thread to exist has finally arrived: to determine which show, when stacked side-by-side, episode-to-episode, truly was better.

And B5 comes out swinging on all fronts. Action! Intrigue! Drama! Getting to know the new cast members, while reacquainting with ones from the pilot movie. In fact, there's almost too much here, as the plot gets a little bunched up with all the twists and turns it takes, all the while trying to get in character moments. As a second-pilot with only an hour to make use of, it's pulled off admirably.

Still, it couldn't defeat DS9 in one key category: hair! Heck, Armageddon Game got an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Hairstyling for a Series. Beat that, B5!

Oh, I guess it did with all that other stuff. Some good character moments from O'Brien and Bashir isn't enough to trump B5's first tango. The plot thickens next week though, as TNG returns to make this a three-way dance.

Weekly Winner
    B5

Next:
    TNG - Sub Rosa
    DS9 - Whispers
    B5 - Soul Hunter

13. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder what would happen if the T'Lani and Kellerun declared war on the Centauri. A hair-raising proposal?

14. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah B5 - they do seem to cram a lot into the the most important episodes, don't they? A good thing most of the time. Midnight on the Firing Line was good, but even if it hadn't been, it would still get my vote for Mr Garibaldi's second favourite thing in the universe.

Poor Voyager, competing against DS9 and B5 I fear it may not get many wins...

15. Sykonee

You never know. TNG and DS9 never seem to stack their Event Episodes against each other, perhaps the same will be true for DS9 and VOY. B5 on the other hand...

Week 17: (Ending 02.06.94)
    TNG - Sub Rosa (Airdate 01.31.94)
    B5 - Soul Hunter (Airdate 02.02.94)
    DS9 - Whispers (Airdate 02.06.94)

Let's push the metaphor further. The cocky veteran (TNG) sat back while two younger combatants (DS9 and B5) fought it out, possibly hoping the two would beat each other senseless for when it was time to step back into the ring. Then, instead of engaging with the usual fisticuffs (sci-fi), the vet instead decides to fight with interpretive dance (erotic ghost story), and gets soundly clocked for the trouble. :crazy:

You sort of feel sorry for McFadden. She really seems to try to sell the story, playing it almost like a fiendish heroin addict; but who in their right mind would believe Crusher would have such an abrupt change of heart? Throw in one of the cringiest Scottish stereotypes I've ever seen in Quint and the clunkiness of jamming a harlequin romance ghost story with sci-fi, and it's a mess that you can't pull away from, yet never want to watch again. Like hearing The Beach Boys attempt a rap song (yes, it did happen).

So, that leaves the two space-stations, and this one was tough. Whispers is an excellent paranoia thriller, and still holds up even after The Big Twist; first time, though, it knocks you over like a Mike Tyson TKO. It certainly doesn't hurt that Meany's affable O'Brien is someone you can root for in any situation. Soul Hunter has a top-grade performance from Sheppard -damn, is he ever creepy- but suffers a bit from Early-Series roughness; you can tell a good deal was edited for time, not to mention the Hunter's escape into the station came off far too easy.

I'm giving DS9 the edge here. Whispers does a remarkable job in ratcheting up the tension without ever tipping its hand until the last possible moment, whereas Soul Hunter, despite a stronger concept, goes into a routine Damsel In Distress climax.

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next:
    TNG - Lower Decks
    DS9 - Paradise
    B5 - Born To The Purple

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Edge? DS9 knocked em both out in the first round. ;)

I only watched the first four episodes of B5 before stopping and Soul Hunter is one of the first signs that the show wasn't for me. Yes, I know that the show gets better in later seasons and I might give the show a fair try some day but I couldn't stand the concept or execution of Soul Hunter. In comparison, Whispers was tense and the Shocking Reveal™ really was shocking for once. Sub Rosa was...

:wtf: Yeah.

17. Sykonee

Yeah, like I said, the Early-Series clunkiness does show itself. Truthfully, having watched the series through a couple times already, it's rather difficult to watch it with First-Time Eyes, so I'm probably more forgiving of production aesthetics now that I'm used to it. If anything though, you can tell they were at least trying to bring something fresh, what with a bi-pedal praying mantis puppet as their version of Quark.

18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh dear Gods, is he creepy. That episode, despite the problems you mention, won me over first time simply thanks to this performance.

19. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have been perverse and gone for Sub Rosa this week. Whispers is good and I like O'Brien but his spotlight episodes have never really done it for me - I think he works better as a foil for the other characters.

Crusher however is my favourite TNG character (see, perverse I told you!) so it's nice to see her in the spotlight and Gates does a great job.

Can't really comment on B5 - my viewing of it was patchy and I only really remember bits of Season 2 and the first half of Season 3. The show never really worked for me.

20. Sykonee

Playing the role of a crazed sex addict, I have to admit Gates was hot!:drool:

Week 18: (Ending 02.13.94)
    TNG - Lower Decks (Airdate 02.07.94)
    B5 - Born To The Purple (Airdate 02.09.94)
    DS9 - Paradise (Airdate 02.13.94)

When I first saw the opening teaser for Paradise, I thought Sisko and O'Brien had somehow ended up in Sherwood Forest.:vulcan: Anyhow...

"That's it!" the veteran cries out. "Time to show these kids why I've been top dog for so long."
    "Um, because you were the only dog for most of that time?" B5 meekly squeaked.
    "Shut up, you," TNG says back. "Here, I'll show you why I'm the best. I'll have an episode that will prominently feature characters we barely even know -some meeting for the first time, even- and the audience will care about them far more than your principal characters."
    "Um... oh my. Londo, can you do something here?"
    "Sorry, you've geevin me too mahch convolooted plot to werk weeth 'ere, what weeth theese Purple Files and all. No one's going to care about mahseeve polleetical threats to my Great Centauri Republic in only episode three. You should 'ave just geevin me more time weeth the Laaydee Adria."
    "Hah, nice try, kid," TNG smugly smirks. "Hey, DS9! What have you got, hmm?"
    "Er, Sisko sitting in a box."
    "That's it? Oh ho ho ho! You kids, you crack me up."
    "So says the show that had Crusher having multiple orgasms to green mist just a week ago," DS9 mutters under its breath. B5 snickers.
    "What was that?"
    "Oh, nothing, sir."
    "That what I thought. Damn, I rule though. Did you know I'm going to be in movies soon too?"

Yeah, TNG takes this week. Be wary though, cocky veteran, as you can still get too complacent with your perceived supremecy.:devil:

Weekly Winner
    TNG

Next:
    TNG - Thine Own Self
    DS9 - Shadowplay
    B5 - Infection