Spoilers Doom Patrol - DC Universe Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

When I was a kid (1960s) I used to like Doom Patrol comics much more than your average superhero ensemble. I am loving this show. For some reason I seem to be a few eps ahead, I don't know why. Danny the Street was great, so was Beard Hunter. Fascinating stuff.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite bit on this one was the continuing misadventures of Animal Vegetable Mineral Man playing across occasional newscasts. The anchorwoman deadpanning that he was OK after being shot cause he was hit in the minerals killed me. Flex's soap opera featuring a storyline involving an affair with a Japanese sex robot was pretty good too. Good job of making me care about the guy with one episode but DP excels there.

I guess we'll see if Mr. Nobody is correct that the next two episodes will bring the big superhero action we expect. I have to say the 13 episodes of character driven schlock have been fun though. Nice to see Ed Asner continue his run in DC shows, I think this is his first live action contribution.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

DC Universe is now in 4K at least for their original series and some of the animated DC movies,

4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Cliff's acting was definitely worthy of a Daytime Emmy Award. :D

5. Mr. Adventure

Not sure what I think of that first use of muscle mystery magic but the episode Penultimate Patrol was pretty good overall. Didn't really get that classic superhero action that Nobody promised. I liked the idea of the whitespace and Flex may be even be more meta than Nobody himself. Finally, the team is reunited with the chief but his dark secret that many predicted appears to may be true.

Do you think Brendan Fraser negotiated that in his live action scenes he was going to always be doing the nanny or hamming it up on soap operas? :lol:

Rita rocked that old school outfit too.

And next week will be Last Patrol? Finale Patrol? no it's
    Ezekiel Patrol! This is the religious cockroach from way back in the beginning, the mind boggles

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pilot of is up for free at IGN and Youtube. I missed it last time they offered it for free, so I'll have to try to remember to watch it on Sunday.

7. Enterprise is Great

Flex made Danny the Street and everyone there (except for poor Cliff) have the ultimate orgasm. Damn this show is weird. i love it.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Thanks for the tip. They seem to have blocked my ability to download, so I'll have to remember to watch it quickly in case they take it down.

9. Mr. Adventure

Cliff once again gives a performance worthy of the Daytime Emmy. Though I kind of got the sense that most of the actors were feeling pretty awkward. It took the second shot of the Beard Hunter (aka Pube Stalker, thanks Jane...) before I glommed onto that he was checking out that guy's beard not the guy himself lol.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah I forgot to mention, it's only for one week. I don't know if I'll watch it tomorrow, but I will definitely check try to remember to check it out before they pull it.

11. RJDiogenes

^^ Thanks. I was actually able to watch the whole thing yesterday and it was surprisingly good. Of course, there were changes made from the source material, which always grinds me, but it was quite faithful to the concept and the characters. The creators obviously had respect for the material they were adapting. And the story was basically a series of character studies with no overt super-villain conflict, aside from the menace of Mr. Nobody, which was more of a portent of things to come. Surprisingly, none of the characters seem to have yet learned how to use their powers constructively, despite all of them being around for decades. I will definitely pick this up on DVD when (or if) it comes out.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fuckfuckfuck, I missed my chance to watch the first episode for free again.

13. Mr. Adventure

We come to an end of a pretty successful first season and it does so in what would we come to expect from Doom Patrol in extra bizarre fashion with lots of character moments. The big reveal that everyone saw coming worked for one episode but would be hard to ignore trying to go forward with the status quo in the (hopefully) next season. It makes sense that Nobody, like Mxyzptlk, had to have a hand in his own defeat. It's too bad we didn't get a little more onscreen from Flex Mentallo who made the most of his late entry into the series. I don’t know if it all came together perfectly but it was close enough.

Would Mr. Nobody's suit even be possible before HD? lol I remember Mick Jagger's shirt from Start Me Up making werid artifacts back in the day.

Only on Doom Patrol would you get a giant rat making out with a giant cockroach and it’s a plot point. Someone on reddit noted that LoT is like weed, Legion is acid and Doom Patrol is meth which seems pretty apt.:hugegrin:

“I’m going to spread you like the plague, daddy.”

FreezeC77 likes this.
  14. Enterprise is Great

So this season we've gone inside a donkey's ass, inside of a giant rat's stomach and inside of a giant roach's stomach. This show is whacked. Sometimes I think the writer's are writing the show while they're high.

15. RJDiogenes

Which is what we always thought about DC Comics in the 60s. :rommie:

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If that's the direction the show's humor has gone, I don't think I'll want to watch it after all. I'm way too squeamish for that stuff.

17. Mr. Adventure

If you've spoiled yourself this much going through the thread you may want to watch this before dismissing it altogether. It's basically what my last comment and Enterprise Is Great's is referencing, if you can handle this you can handle the series. I think it might read worse than it is, I was more squeamish watching Titans what with Robin rubbing a man's face across broken glass and such.

18. Christopher

If you mean the rat/cockroach thing, I already had that sprung on me as a GIF on io9, so no, thank you.

19. Mr. Adventure

I wasn't sure what you were referring to with being squeamish. I thought maybe it was inside the stomach stuff a. Oh well, I guess everyone has different limits, and it's meant to be a bit disgusting in a funny way but still a great series to miss over a 20 second scene.

20. Christopher

It's just that the overall style of humor doesn't seem like my sort of thing. It's not any single scene, so kindly do not condescend to me for knowing my own tastes.