Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. DanGovier

DanGovier Commander Red Shirt

I think it's such a shame when a company like that fails to take someone on who has a genuine passion for the subject matter and comes armed with such an impressive portfolio. As an occasional player of Star Trek: Online myself I feel the lost potential that you could have brought to the table.

Don't let it get you down, you have real talent and an eye for detail. Just need to keep putting your work out there and I'm sure you'll be noticed again. Entirely selfish on my part of course, I just want to see more of your work ;)

2. GhostLoveScore

GhostLoveScore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek Online graphics has improved but it's still light years away that I would call it nice. I know that you can't put really detailed models in game engine because of performance issues, but hey, this is 2015. I can't believe that modern graphic cards can't handle nicer models.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Like I mentioned before, they may already be familiar with some of Donny's work here, especially since they are apparently tied in with STO, Cryptic, involved with starship & environment modeling and likely even frequent this BBS. They may actually have been somewhat intimidated and skewed the "test" against him so that he wouldn't get hired and potentially wind up making them look bad. People can be quite possessive of their little fiefdoms. I agree with Mytran that Donny might not have liked it there with the attitude he seems to have experienced during the interview process. There was something disturbingly petty about the process.

4. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a bummer, Donny. Stay positive and professional. You'll have more opportunities ahead of you!

5. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Oh, it's all good, guys. My head is quite high now that it's over, and surprisingly my confidence is actually restored. Being under the gun of an interview made me feel like I wasn't worth a company job and that my skills were shit. But after having that anxiety gone now that the process is over has inspired me to do push myself even further with this project, hence the props I'm now building in high detail with a new program I bought as a result of the test I was given.

TWOK phaser is shaping up nicely, btw. I'll post screens soon.

6. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I guess it's just me, but it would really be a fascinating challenge if someone would revisit all these old props and "re-imagine" them to offer more useful iPad-like touch screens so the user could actually interact with them and see plenty of useful info on them. It looks to me like the overall shape and texture of this TMP tricorder in particular would be pliable to this approach.

7. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's funny how the interfaces in TOS and TMP were nothing like anything anybody was actually using at the times (other than they had "buttons").

But so many people's solution to modernize these designs (*cough* ABRAMS *cough*) is to bring them right up to 2008.

8. Donny

Well, I modeled and textured this phaser in just over two days. Definitely happy with it! Of course, this is it's TWOK color scheme and configuration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love that phaser. Probably my favorite.

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Not my favorite phaser, but Donny did his usual excellent job. Looks like I could reach into the screen and touch it!

11. Trimm

Trimm Captain Captain

That's just fantastic work Donny.

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

It's my third favorite phaser. But the modeling is certainly up to Donny's usual standards.

Love it.

--Alex

13. Donny

14. DanGovier

DanGovier Commander Red Shirt

Is it wrong that I just spent 10 minutes of my life rocking the phaser back and forth in the light reflection going oooooooooooh at the smudges on the shiny metal?

15. Donny

Nope! Now do it with the tricorder:

https://www.artstation.com/p/Qxa0l

16. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is just a-m-a-z-i-n-g

Those little imperfections on the metal make it leap off the page

What a brilliant feature!

17. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is frakking sweet
    :techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

That is too cool. :techman:

19. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Absolutely amazing. These models probably hold up to close scrutiny better than the actual props from the movie.

20. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great texturing and modeling Donnie!