Donny's Refit Enterprise Interiors (Version 2.0)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That TWOK lounge is a place I want to go live in. I'll take that over the Millennium Falcon. Weren't there more renders of that?

I guess I look at the Rec Deck like I do the TOS hangar: No it doesn't fit. I love it. Leave it alone. OTOH someone did (what? Fifteen years ago?) a stab at Probert's "This Will Fit" Rec Deck. It was nice. But somehow not as cinematic as the on screen one. Or maybe I just wasn't used to it.

Tomalak likes this.
  2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

The Rec Deck is an awesome set, but it doesn't fit in the ship at all, unless it was ST09-sized. Those turbolift shafts to nowhere!

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Unless those are just two-level turboshafts only servicing the Rec Deck? That's how I plan on treating them.

TOMFAN, blssdwlf and Tomalak like this.
  4. Donny

I never quite finished it, so I didn't take a ton of shots. There are a few more shots of it hidden away in my Flickr feed, including some with the original TMP color scheme. Too lazy to dig them out right now ;)

5. Tomalak

I always wondered if they have ports running up to the top of the hull for when the ship is in spacedock? It would be a useful space to handle embarking/departing crew

6. Donny

Here ya go, @Tallguy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/61505200@N02/page12

About halfway down the page. Whenever I get to the lounge this time, I'm not going to waste time trying to fill the bookshelves with over a hundred unique books. It was why I never finished it the first time. I'll just simply do a few generic, nondescript books and duplicate them over and over. That was a lesson learned.

Tomalak likes this.
  7. Tomalak

Ha, I recall thinking the book thing was a little bit of a dead end!

8. Donny

I’ve learned a lot about scope and what I choose to take on since. Plus that was right around the time I did the art test for my job at Cryptic (the sword renders on my Flickr feed page above) so I had a LOT on my plate!

Tomalak likes this.
  9. Donny

Modeled the bridge module tonight. This is a mid-poly model with high-poly details baked onto the textures. The texture is temporary, of course, for early visualization purposes.
    [​IMG]Bridge_Exterior_01

I think it's safe to say this exterior model will take far longer than the 12 days it took for me to model the TOS Enterprise ;)

10. DanGovier

DanGovier Commander Red Shirt

I'm sure you're aware of these already, but I've found Big Jim's plans to be the best source available for the external model:
    https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/slade.php

Regarding the Rec Deck, those two turboshafts simply do not work at the 1000ft scale. There's barely more than a single deck's height available because of the curvature of the external hull:
    http://danielgovier.co.uk/enterprise/2019/rec_deck_1.JPG
    http://danielgovier.co.uk/enterprise/2019/rec_deck_2.JPG
    For this reason, I've chosen to simply make them stylised lighting panels :)

11. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Why would you need a vertical turboshaft for a one deck thickness? Could they wanted the columns to be turbolift entry/exit points for two horizontal turboshafts? Maybe, but the turbolift doors are where (I never see any)? On the backside out of sight where the feed tube must be? No, they can't be turboshafts because there isn't enough space for it to function as a turbolift. Good call, they're gorgeous light panels. :techman:

QuinnTV, cardinal biggles and Tomalak like this.
  12. Donny

Yes, I'm actually using Slade's blueprints as my main guide, checking against screencaps or photographs of the model and correcting for inaccuracies as needed.

You know, after studying everything more, I'm revising my previous statement of how I'm going to "try and make it all fit". It looks like I'll be forced to make far too many concessions with the screen-accuracy of the interiors to do so, which I'm not willing to do. Therefore, my interiors will not fit snugly inside this exterior model. For instance, I want to make the Rec Deck as seen on-screen (complete with a two-level turbolift shaft), and it would just be impossible to fit it within the saucer structure without altering dimensions of the room to a degree I'm not comfortable with. I still want to marry my eventual landing bay interior and docking ports with their respective exterior locations, but everything else in between will not completely adhere to the exterior model if needed to maintain screen-accuracy.

More work this morning, specifically on the lower bridge structure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The texture is still temporary of course, and the smaller windows will be added later with height-based decals (to save on polygons and modeling effort). Like the lounge windows, I'll also be modeling the other larger windows on the model (the rec deck and botanical section windows).
    I'm also going to cut in the docking port at a later time. I'm modeling this at it's 8 foot scale but will be scaling this up to 1000 feet near the end of the process, and it's at that point I will add the docking ports.

Oh, and I should note that I plan on crafting low-poly sets of my eventual fully detailed rec deck/officer's lounge sets to place behind their respective windows for the exterior model.

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I suspect you have run into this site (link), but I'll include it anyway. I dunno if there's anything usable there but he has a lot of original blueprints.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    JonnyQuest037 and Donny like this.
  14. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I have a set of book models for Blender that all use a generic material which will be random for every book and every duplicate of the same set. Would it be possible to set up a similar thing in Unreal to provide simple variation?

Donny likes this.
  15. Donny

Thanks! I've perused that blog before. There's some good stuff!

I could definitely do something similar. I could proceduraly randomize book sizes and cover colors, non-descript designs, etc without having to create specific titles/covers for each one.

16. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I know you're going to replace this texture, but I think this looks nice just how it is... not for the final product of course, but it has a kind of pewter look to it, like you might find on a ship model in a captain's office.

Tomalak and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  17. Donny

I was thinking the same!

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  18. Viper

Viper Commander Red Shirt

Your camera is distorting the image quite a bit. Hard to comment on the progress you did because of that. It looks like the bridge base might be too tall or the sides aren't inclined enough.

19. Donny

Here's some orthographics of the bridge module with Jim Slade's schematics overlaid. You'll see I made a few corrections as I saw fit when comparing to photographs of the model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, here's the working geometry of the navigation dome:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Viper

Viper Commander Red Shirt

Yep, you did similar modifications to mine. His blueprints are great, but there are some things that aren't 100%. Loving the navigation dome :)