Donny's Refit Enterprise Interiors (Version 2.0)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

When I set out, i was really nervous no one would be able to tell the difference. Which is why I refrained from posting until it was all complete. I went into making the new corridors without looking at the old ones (except right at the beginning to make note of what improvements I wanted to make), and when I finally finished and loaded the old ones up to make that comparison infographic, I realized I’d accomplished my goal. The difference really is huge.

Jedman67, blssdwlf and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  2. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    If you're talking about the thruster pack, I think those pictures Donny posted were his reference material.

Jedman67 likes this.
  3. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It absolutely is.

Was talking about the project in general.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Heh...even if the differences were more subtle, this is a Trek forum, Donny - full of geeks like us who diligently inspect pixels for the most minuscule of differences in accuracy. You shouldn't be surprised at the the folks here scrutinizing your work - and universally agreeing as to its amazing results.

Your efforts are the closest I've ever personally seen to successfully capture the look and feel of late-23rd starship interior design. While my own personal wheelhouse is in exterior ship architecture, I know a good corridor when I see one, especially when I honestly cannot tell the difference between a CG render and a live production still.

In a word...perfection. And I for one cannot WAIT to try to test my GPU's performance with your finished walk-thru.

5. QuinnTV

QuinnTV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is that a little handle above the striping on the "45 HR" panel?

6. Donny

Yep. It’s there on the actual prop.

QuinnTV and Galileo7 like this.
  7. Donny

Was away from my PC most of the last 2.5 weeks but managed to get some work done on rebuilding the bridge yesterday and today. Not much to show yet, but most of the main structures are in place. Basically, I'm taking all my old models and giving them some polish, up-resing, better materials, and correcting for accuracy (for example, in my previous build of the bridge, the ceiling was bit too high, the doorways too narrow, and the rail supports weren't angled enough).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  8. Yellow Flame Sushi

Yellow Flame Sushi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This is in the event you don't have a reference for that spacecraft attitude display that sits in the center of the bridge ceiling. :)

9. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I don't think I need to say anything about how amazing everything is looking, you've heard it so often. The only sad part is that you can't release any playable version. Have you considered at some point designing your own original sci-fi interior that there would be no issues releasing? Or without it being Star Trek would there be less incentive to work on it?

10. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

You've made a correction on this version (or at least I did not notice it on your previous versions) that I've not seen anyone else do and it has to do with the intersection of the walls and ceiling.

11. Donny

I have thought about doing my own sci-fi interiors, and in fact started a section of corridor of a design I was working on, but the drive to work on Trek projects always wins out. I dunno, there's something about it that is super-motivating and rewarding for me, despite the fact that any eventual releases are most likely out the window now. It all goes back to my boyhood hobby of trying to draw out all the sets of TOS as I watched episodes on the TV and has just evolved into a 3D obsession over the last 35 years.

Are you referring to the fact that there's a small groove between the top of the walls and the bottom of the ceiling sections? If so, I did have that present in my previous iteration as well :techman:

12. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I would love to see more of that and not just from you.

I also, of course, love seeing yours and other people's Trek sets.

My apologies! I could've sworn I specifically looked for that in your previous iterations as I do with everyone's, but I guess I missed it or the lighting in whatever shots I was looking at didn't highlight it.

Anyway, congrats for being the only other person I know of that has noticed or included it. :)

13. Donny

Thanks! I actually have that, and also a straight on shot where someone is holding it up to the sun. I didn't model it in my previous iteration (due to the fact that I couldn't find reference at the time), so I look forward to doing so. Should be getting to it tonight, actually!

14. Donny

And here's the finished bridge dome with attitude disc:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go-Captain, GNDN18, Firebird and 16 others like this.
  15. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOVE IT!!

Donny likes this.
  16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a disc with attitude.

Looks fantastic!

Donny likes this.
  17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Heh...another TMP device with a Phase II silhouette. It's also interesting how the mounting structure that the disc attaches to resembles an upside down flattened version of the exterior B-C deck hull. I wonder if that structure was the inspiration for Trumbull when he had the filming miniature's bridge module upgraded.

18. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will, of course, take your word for it. :)

19. Donny

You know, when it comes to accuracy, I work with the idea in my head that someone on these boards will call me out for mistakes, when it's really just my own brain (with a few exceptions ;)) pushing myself to be as accurate as possible

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  20. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, there will be someone. It just (in this case) won't be me.

The weird part is the things that I now see in the MOVIES that I've only noticed because of your models.

Well done.

Psion, Nightowl1701, blssdwlf and 3 others like this.