Donny's Refit Enterprise Interiors (Version 2.0)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Commodore Miles

Commodore Miles Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey Donny (and others) on a slightly unrelated note does the Anovos TWOK uniform have proper bellbottoms? On the Anovos site they look more straight legged but in the movies they super flare out at the bottom.

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

No, the Anovos pants do not flare properly. It’s a bummer.

3. Commodore Miles

Man that sucks, I want to get some TWOK Bells but I cant find anyone who makes them, anyhoo BACK TO THE SHIPS!

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I don’t think they’re bell bottoms, more like extremely long and bloused inside the ankle boots, akin to current uniform code with all branch BDU’s. I believe I’ve seen photos (Christie’s Auction) of heel straps down at the cuffs to hold them in. You couldn’t physically do that with bells.

5. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You should be able to get a pretty accurate look if you tuck the trousers into the boots just right. Otherwise, if you have a talent for sewing, you can purchase uniform patterns here and tailor them to your liking.

6. Commodore Miles

They're technically true bellbottoms since they do have the cuff and strap at the bottom, but they do super flare out below the knee:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=255&pid=26130#top_display_media

(Unless this was some special variant made for Doohan in TSFS)

7. Donny

I wanted a quick project I could bust out over the weekend, so I chose to go ahead and model the TMP Tricorder, since I want to have a couple of them sitting around sickbay when I'm done.

My main reference was a pic of a screen-used hero prop, but I also added features that AFAIK were unique to the Roddenberry Prop Replica that came out several years ago, namely the drop-down door which holds data chips that I have yet to model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll get the chips modeled tomorrow!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Apropos of nothing, I ran into this pic again today and was trying to make out all the names and in-jokes on it. This might be of use to you somewhere, even if you have seen it before. If nothing else, this confirms that the ship turbolift was used as the elevator here too.
    tumblr_pnwjweUpWn1qmtfp8o1_1280.jpg

9. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are those metal terminal points on the numeric keypad? Seems like the prop designers really wanted to incorporate functionality into the Tricorder but lacked the budget to incorporate true "mesh" type buttons.
    Yikes, and the TWOK communicator gets grief for being too clunky! ;)

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I generally like TMP designs, but I don't care for the tricorders at all. They make no sense. There's no screen, just 14 lights, which can't possibly provide much information in a quickly readable format. And it's got that weird inconvenient T shape where the top unit is permanently at a right angle to the rest instead of being something you can fold flat.

A closer look at the text on the sign: http://startrekpropcollector.com/trekauctions/item.pl?i=9093

11. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

I know the names Jennings, Minor, Cole, and Longo, but are the others references to real people too?

13. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Based on the film credits:
    • J.R. Jennings = Joseph R. Jennings, production designer
    • M.C. Minor = Michael Minor, art director
    • L. Cole = Lee Cole, graphic designer
    • D. Gluck = Daniel Gluck, set designer
    • D. Maltese = Daniel Maltese, set designer
    • T. Grodnick = ??? (IMDb lists a Todd Grodnick who was working as a production assistant and video coordinator in the early '80s, but he doesn't have credited work in TWOK or any other ST production)
    • D. Gabrielle = ???
    • C. Graffeo = Charles Graffeo, set decorator
    • J. Longo = Joe Longo, property master
    • G. Rescher = Gayne Rescher, cinematographer
    • D. Arakelian = Deborah Arakelian, assistant to producers

Lt. Washburn and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  14. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my head cannon the TWOK communicators are actually the model before the version seen in The Cage. They are using them because it's a cadet ship, so they get the old stuff.

15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I could’ve sworn I’d seen a version of the TMP tricorder where the head was hinged so it could be folded up.

sintesi likes this.
  16. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Everyone using a tricorder in TMP seemed to be looking at that red square on the left side, which makes me think it's supposed to be the 'screen.' Maybe working with the brain implant Gene pulled out of his - uh, out of nowhere in the TMP novelization to overlay data HUD-display style over your normal vision, as you'd have serious eye strain trying to read something that small otherwise.

Then again, I suppose that square's not much smaller than the screen on the TNG tricorder, so what do I know.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Isn't it more likely that they're looking at the status lights just above and below that red square? Presumably it was supposed to work by the same principle as all the blinky lights on TOS computers (and older real-life computers before video monitors and user interfaces were developed), conveying information through the pattern of the status lights. The red square and green rectangles look more like touchpads.

Presumably he got it from the same place he got most of his other concepts, by reading the prose science fiction of the era.

Besides, Roddenberry didn't design the tricorders himself. I doubt the people who did would've been drawing on the ideas he put in the novelization.

Nightowl1701 likes this.
  18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

19. Donny

Datachips modeled and in place! I'll take some final renders tonight.
    [​IMG]

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's easy to see where TNG got their ideas for the isolinear chips from