Donny's Refit Enterprise Interiors (Version 2.0)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

The color could be related to the heat of the power or burn in the system. Orange for less power and blue for high power. Just one simple observation from nature. Same with the deflector dish; cooler colors like orange or white when still in orbit and blue when running in deep space depending on the power output. :vulcan:

TOMFAN likes this.
  2. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll buy speculation.

David cgc likes this.
  3. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

Of course now I can't find the article about it; but it was a jerry-rigged prototype display from a reaserch lab, nothing remotely close to production.

Perhaps it's just a preference thing. Decker was into those warm light bulbs, and once Kirk assumed permanent command at the end of the movie he had Scotty swap them all for cool lights. :p

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm pretty sure the impulse engines were lit by the same blue-white neon as was the bulk of the model. There are test photos of the ship with the impulse engines glowing blue. Each shot of the ship in TMP was made of multiple identical repeated camera passes to expose different things at different exposures, like...
    • Matte pass
    • Beauty light pass
    • Porthole light pass
    • Running light pass
    • etc.
    This meant you could change the color of any glowing element by shooting through color or effect filters or alter things in the optical printer. So if you want the crystal to glow blue you mask it off during the pass where you shoot the impulse engines, as in that TWOK example. In TMP they probably shot the impulse engines and crystal as a single pass so any color applied to one applied to the other.

abel era with pinstripes.jpg

Now it IS possible they could have shoved some red gels into the impulse engine assembly, but I've never heard anyone mention this who worked on/with the model.

When they had to rewire the ship for Star Trek 6 (the power umbilical had been hacked off) they changed the lighting so they could shoot more elements in a single pass which meant fewer camera passes and less compositing work, but with the downside that you have less control over each element which is I suspect why the ship looks flatter and less interesting in that film than 2, 3 and 4.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  5. Maurice

Speaking of which, this is the deck layout as seen on the CONDITION: RED image seen in TWOK (made for TMP but only seen in trailers).
    TMP_Decks.gif

Attached Files:

6. Maurice

And I'm sure Donny has the photos these are from, but just for those curious, you can faintly see the miniature room that was there.
    Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 11.35.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 11.35.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 11.35.45 PM.png
    Click thumbnails to embiggen.

7. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Did some playing around with what I feel would be the "default" screen in the lounge when the viewers aren't set to anything specific, and took the default screen from Kirk's quarters and thought it would fit nice with the ultra-70s vibe of the lounge. And I really like the result:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the screen I'm referencing:
    [​IMG]

Trying to come up with an equivalent for the TWOK lounge, but haven't settled on anything yet. I tried a UFP logo screen like I did in 2015 but it just looked out of place for some reason. Any ideas?

8. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

Ohh, very cool idea, it does fit right in with the rest of the lounge, and would've been a realistic option for the set builders back then.

As for the TWOK version, maybe a pattern reminicent to that on the Starfleet Command wall on the right here?

Donny likes this.
  9. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Donny That "screensaver" looks so much like a Piet Mondrian abstract painting that one wonders if the screen is supposed to display art when not being a screen.

10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, that looks so 1970s that all it needs is some shag carpeting and Greg Brady. ;)

The 3-D chess set is a great touch! :techman:

Donny and cardinal biggles like this.
  11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe something nautical to fit with the Nicholas Meyer "Hornblower in space" aesthetic. Artwork of sailing ships?

12. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I don't know if this is what you mean, but Jaguar's dual view display allows for driver and passenger to see different content at the same time - driver can look at navigation stuff while the passenger watches a film (link to Jaguar site - scroll down a bit for Dual View Display).

Marvellous work on the lounge, Donny :)

13. Christopher

That just says what it does. I'm asking how it does it, what mechanism allows it to achieve that effect. Like, the way lenticular printing works is described here. I can speculate that the same sort of mechanism could be used to show two moving images from different angles of view rather than two static images. But that's just speculation; maybe there's another way to achieve the effect that I haven't thought of. That's what I want to know.

14. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

^ I don't know if this explanation helps (link to Quora)? I'm not really scientifically minded, but from my very limited understanding, it seems to work on a similar principle to the lenticular printing that you linked to? Or not...

15. Christopher

Thanks for finding that. It's not a very clearly written explanation (probably an excerpt from a technical paper's abstract), but yeah, it seems to be describing a very similar principle, microprisms that send alternate columns of pixels to the right and left. What gets me is that it probably wouldn't work too well for drivers/passengers who are significantly shorter or taller than average and need to move their seat up or back accordingly.

16. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I am going to have a few actual framed paintings of sailing ships around the lounge area, but figured having them on the screens as well might be overkill. I'll experiment.

Hmm. A good idea. I may experiment with that as well.

17. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I'm thinking landscape wallpaper - except animated. Like back projection of a film taken some beautiful place. Mountain, beach, canyon, whatever. Just enough movement to make it seem more like a window into that place instead of a static picture. And not all Earth either; throw in some Vulcan, some Andor, some Tellar. Hell, Risa if they've found it yet. Places in the Federation you would want to visit if you weren't on duty.

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles I AM A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

^Wrigley's Pleasure Planet if they haven't found Risa yet.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  19. Kaelef

Kaelef Captain Captain

This has always been one of my favorite shots. The iridescent look of the plating is just beautiful.

@Donny I forget if you ever did a shot recreating this angle?

[​IMG]

20. Christopher

Risa was known to Starfleet as far back as the 2150s (ENT: "Two Days and Two Nights"), and to Vulcan even before then.

Nightowl1701 likes this.