Donny’s Late TOS Movie Era Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Commodore_Sarvour

Commodore_Sarvour Lieutenant Red Shirt

Kinda partial to 1. If i had the tools to make an animation loop vid or gif, i'd cycle thru 1-3, but adding a cg/color wireframe based on the navigational graphic from Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual.

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Yes, I'm still working. Been knocking out a bunch of animated displays, both the static displays with polar motion simulation, and the fully animated CRT displays. The static displays I previously made for my TUC bridge have all been touched up and recolored for use on the TFF bridge. The TFF displays were primarily blue with a lot less green in them, so I've adjusted them all to match. It's not as quick as a process as you might imagine. The animated CRT displays are quite a challenge versus the Ent-E displays, since I don't have nice low-res animations from the Captain's Chair CD-ROM for this bridge. Those were super helpful for timing, and I am striving to get my TFF/TUC displays as accurate as possible given what limited resources I have. For each animated CRT, I have to go through both movies, find all clips of the display I'm replicated, splice them together in a video file, and sync all those clips so that I can figure out exactly what the timing is for each loop. Luckily, I've found most of the loops to be 20 seconds, so it's possible for me to get enough clips together to figure out the entire loop. And then of course I have to build the graphics and animate them in the correct timing.

I've got about 3 or 4 more TFF specific displays to generate before I can call this bridge done, before moving onto the TUC Ent-A and Excelsior bridges.

I don't want to show any of the displays quite yet, so here is a teaser image with a bunch of them in a blurred background ;)
    [​IMG]

Uxi, redfives, Jesse1066 and 28 others like this.
  3. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Donny, I need to know - did you add the squeak to the TFF Captain's chair when it's shaken?

4. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

Cheap joke...

5. Donny

Play nice.

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. Rusty0918

That wasn't a jab at Firebird, I was criticizing the "Star Trek V" movie in general with that "cheap joke" with the squeak to the TFF center seat. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

7. Donny

Ohhhhh. Haha. Thanks for clarifying.
    Yes. TFF is full of cheap jokes but I kind of love it for that.

8. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Have a marshmelon on me. ;)

9. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I just want to say that your amazing work reproducing the TFF Enterprise-A bridge inspired me to use the same style of decor/finishing for the interior of Spacedock in my piece for this month's art challenge. Thank you!
    Oh, and I'm looking forward to seeing your finished bridge with the displays you mentioned upthread.

Donny and Commander Troi like this.
  10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Can you ask Michael Okuda to confirm the timing? He's pretty available on both Twitter and Facebook.

11. Donny

I’m now in contact with Mike on a weekly basis; he helps me out when he can.

12. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awesome!

13. Donny

Almost there....
    [​IMG]

Uxi, RedForman, redfives and 23 others like this.
  14. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The animated CRTs weren't a bad choice for distance shots of the bridge. They do look good especially here. It was the close-ups that just kill the visual effect. Love your work on this Donny. Between the TUC bridge and this one, this one was my favorite of the two.

15. Donny

Here's a shot that kills the visual effect for sure :D
    I dunno. I love having the CRTs, scan lines and noise and all. Just feels right, or at least more right here than it did when I tried it briefly for the Ent-E bridge. However, for these bridges, I have taken measures to have the option of all flat panels, btw. Will probably do that for depictions of non-canon bridges.
    [​IMG]

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha! I love it. I can almost taste the static when I pushed by nose too close to the TV as a kid. :D

17. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm trying to imagine them going out to a Best Buy and cleaning them out of 15 inch TVs lol

DEWLine, danellis and Commander Troi like this.
  18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

They wouldn't have been using regular off-the-shelf TV sets for that. You'd need ones that were specially rigged to match the frame rate of the movie camera (24 frames per second), otherwise you end up with flicker problems.

DEWLine likes this.
  19. K1productions

K1productions Commander Red Shirt

At least with this particular bridge, they did a decent enough job trying to hide the fact the backlit panels were different than the screen ones. While they couldn't hide the recession of the screens, they matched the colors of the backlit plexis well enough.
    Undiscovered Country, on the other hand, made no effort at all to hide the fact the plexis were different than the screens. The color difference between them was almost night and day. They didn't even try to match the sizes of the display number. No consistency what-so-ever. One of the many reasons why I prefer the Final Frontier bridge.

20. Rusty0918

Yeah, in the text commentary from Okuda for TMP and TWOK DVD (and maybe Blu Ray) - those video screens had to be adjusted for 24 frames per second. The CRTs I do admit are dated, I mean most likely it's like one huge LCD screen (LCD screens can take different shapes these days too!).