Does the United States still exist in the 23rd century?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Citiprime, May 17, 2022.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

2. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe a progressive world government would be different, and there have been big arguments on which policy directions is the right one, but historically terrorist/insurgent groups have been contained and destroyed using both law enforcement and military assets from a country's armed forces.

3. Voodoowoman2

Voodoowoman2 Commander Red Shirt

I am getting the feeling that even this incarnation of Trek is going to turn out to be a separate timeline. Just a strong hunch. Writers want to be freed of the burden of researching what was said and done before. I don't really like it but there it is.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The hell are you talking about? There is no evidence of this at all.

Jack Wolfe and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rick Berman 2011.

6. Tuskin38

We're talking about the modern writers.

Though Berman said in an interview this year, that not watching Trek is one of the reasons why Gene wanted him.

JoaquinSlowly and Guy Gardener like this.
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's pretty clear these writers have watched the old stuff, read the books and know how to google. It will never be a separate timeline, except in the minds of fans who find that comforting.

dupersuper, Serveaux, Sci and 3 others like this.
  8. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From an interview TrekMovie.com did with Star Trek: Strange New Worlds co-showrunner Henry Alons Myers:

TrekMovie.com: You have moved the Eugenics Wars into the 21st century, acknowledging they didn’t happen in the real ‘90s.

MYERS: This is the hard thing about trying to be true to canon. Like the DS9 episode “Past Tense.” It’s weirdly prescient. It’s amazing how much they kind of get right. But yes, the Eugenics Wars were supposed to happen in the 1990s and most people’s experience was that is not what happened. You don’t want to get mad at reality for not comporting with Star Trek, but we sort of push things forward. A little bit of what we do in that is to suggest that… The message of the series pilot is we’re looking at a society where Pike essentially gives them a big choice at the end. You can choose to come together as a society and unify or you can choose conflict. And the conflict will inevitably lead to death.

All we’re doing in that is trying to tie in a little bit how that idea speaks as much to our society today as any other society. And maybe, for those who care deeply about the chronology of what Star Trek said in the past, the things that we are living now will lead to the stuff that we say happens. Which is as much as we can do, because we can’t control what happens in real life. [laughs] And as we go on, we are going to keep running into these dates.​

9. Tuskin38

Even the DS9 writers wanted to be vague about when the wars took place according to Ronald D. Moore.

That is why they just gave a round number (admittedly a bit too low) in 'Doctor Bashir, I Presume?' instead of an exact year.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obvious heresy is obvious.

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Nope.

Myers makes it clear, they're revising Star Trek as they go.

JoaquinSlowly and Jack Wolfe like this.
  12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Does the U.S. still exist in the 23rd century? To some degree or another it does. Yosemite in 2287 is still classified as a "National Park." And we know the U.S. exists in the 22nd century because the screen readout when Section 31 agent Harris contacts Reed aboard Enterprise NX-01 lists the location Reed is supposed to go to as something like "San Francisco, U.S.A."

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, good catches.

edit - It was in "Affliction":

1044 North Maple
    San Francisco
    California
    USA, Earth
    94-1104-314159​

https://ent.trekcore.com/episodes/season4/4x15/behindsc.html
    http://www.chakoteya.net/Enterprise/91.htm

From https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/North_Maple_Street:

This address was not specifically given in the final draft script of "Affliction".​

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    cooleddie74 likes this.
  14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    That "USA" stood out so starkly when I first saw it that it sticks with you! So the United States clearly continued to exist even after the one world government was established and into the TOS Movie Era.

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  15. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

"Amerind" is short hand for "Amerindian", which is short hand American Indian, or Native American. I prefer using "Amerind people" as short hand of "American Indigenous People".

And while the exact makeup of the Amerindian migration from Earth is not exact, my assertions are based on the TNG Episode "Journey's End", as well as various episodes from VOY, involving the character Chakotay. I still contend that the Amerind people, if not all of them, simply left Earth to form colonies of their own.

16. Guy Gardener

Thew Voyager Bible said Chakotay's lot left Earth in their own ships in the 2100s. So we are talking about warp 2 or warp three engines. So did earth have a free economy before the world government? Probably. So They just had to ask for the ships, and education is free, so 10 years later, most of the tribe are qualified astronauts if they were not already.

As a kid I thought that the Futures End Native Americans were relocated by aliens, but Picard said that the people here remembered forced relocation by whitey in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, so unless they were taken in the 20th century?

Then there's the native Americans from the TOS The Paradise Syndrome who had been relocated by the Preservers before they met whitey, who we have not heard of again since the 1960s.

PS

Native colonizers is an oxymoron.

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Again, there is no one Native American people. There are hundreds of Native American nations. Nothing in "Journey's End" or VOY establishes or implies that every Native American nation left Earth.

DEWLine and danellis like this.
  18. Guy Gardener

That's a us postal service zip code.

The US Postal Service still exists, in the age of Transporters?

1. They only just got transporter approved for biomatter in 2151.
    2. Affliction is 5 years after America joined the World Government. It will be centuries before they fix every copy of every database that is using the wrong addresses for places on Earth.

19. Guy Gardener

Are they still guarding their southern border so stringently?

20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The U.S. we know probably won't make it to 2040.