Does the Federation employee civilians

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Cameron Garcia, Jan 19, 2020.

1. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I quote from DS9 "Statistical Probabilities":

So if the Federation is projected to have over nine hundred billion casualties during the Dominion War, it should have a population considerably more then one hundred billion.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Taking that sort of long view, one might wonder whether the AQ winning the Dominion War when they did will have actually set them up for worse things to come...

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing Starfleet allowing people to serve on their vessels who are just going from port to port, unless it's like the Karidian troupe.

5. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

I stand corrected. In another thread in the TOS era, I was having little luck finding planets/colonies with over one million people, speculating that the then Federation was seriously underpopulated. Apparently, over the last 100 years since TOS, the Federation has grown exponentially in both number of planets and population...seems that it may even have an overpopulation problem brewing. :shifty:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Federation colonies are very underpopulated, but the homeworlds of each race probably have populations of a similar order of magnitude to 24th century Earth.

The real problem with Starfleet which has never been discussed is why it's like 95%+ human despite the Federation itself canonically not being. My headcanon regarding that is pretty much that Starfleet is just one of many different exploration/defense forces within the Federation - it just happens to be the Earth-based one.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Heck, Lawrence Marvick was a Federation engineer who helped design Kirk's Enterprise. ("Is There in Truth No Beauty?")

Mister Spock likes this.
  8. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Discovery has pretty much confirmed that, at least with regards to the Vulcans having their own defense force.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, actually, Vulcan has an Expeditionary Force in Disco. Probably no more a military than Starfleet is.
    #crossingtherubicon

Tim Thomason likes this.
  10. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except he doesn't actually say those nine hundred billion projected casualties are the Federation's exclusively. There could be 200B klingons, 300B. Romulans, 100B cardies, etc in that tally, for all we know.

(EDIT: of course with massive numbers like these it's still highly likely the total population of the Federation is > 100B. Unless they projected 850B. dead jem' Hadar ;) )

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Henoch likes this.
  11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everybody in Starfleet is a civilian according to Picard. :shifty:

Kor

12. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How much money do you think they pay the military chaplain?

The Wormhole likes this.
  13. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A civilian, by definition, is anyone not in the armed services or the police force. Regardless of the disagreement about whether Starfleet is military or not, the evidence is clear that it is an armed service.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

My comment was tongue-in-cheek, obviously...

Kor

15. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

There are people in the briefing scene in TMP aboard the Enterprise with some sort of civilian id's as well.

16. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

David Marcus considers Starfleet to be a military in The Wrath of Khan, but he does have a rather anti-Starfleet bias, considering scientists as always having been the "pawns of the military".

17. MAGolding

Really? Do Klngons even have tongues to put in their cheeks/

18. MAGolding

Really? Do Klingons even have tongues to put in their cheeks? :nyah::lol:

19. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a case to be made that at one point, the entirety of Starfleet's hair stylist contingent is not only civilian, but... Bolian

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  20. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So it's a military then (just like Starfleet). We also hear of a Vulcan defense fleet in TNG, the episode with Spock.
    The Enterprise just complete a major rebuild. civilian contractors still on board perhaps?

XCV330 likes this.