Doctor Who 50th Anniversary box set.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Gingerbread Demon, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you don't keep it, you don't have Day, you have something else.

I guess I would've liked them closer to Terror of the Zygons, more serious than hammy. But I personally don't mind them - they're perfect for Ten's wild era.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Time of the Doctor felt like a clip show from episodes I had never seen. Stuff was just strung together with nonsensical and unsatisfying explanations for what had been going on for previous seasons.

It's a great example of Moffat's inability to land the end of a story.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The sequence was meant to show-off the 3-D filming. Though, to be honest, even though I only watched it in 2D I actually like the sequence. It's a fun little bit and exactly the kind of extravagant thing that should be done for a fiftieth anniversary. I say keep it.
    Totally. The way I would have done an Ian cameo is instead of Tom Baker's scene have a scene, perhaps in the museum, doesn't matter though with the Doctor and Ian sharing a bench together having a chat. The Doctor recognizes Ian, though Ian is of course oblivious to who the Doctor is. After their conversation is done the Doctor gets up walks away, and as he's walking says something like "see you around, Chesterfield." This gets Ian's attention and when he looks in the Doctor's direction, he sees the Doctor enter the TARDIS, which then takes off. I get goosebumps thinking about it.
    Including Zygons in Day of the Doctor is fine, the problem is Day doesn't really resolve the storyline at all, it just sort of gets shoved aside as it's being resolved. Indeed, we don't get any kind of proper resolution for another two years with The Zygon Invasion/Inversion storyline, and that I would gladly dump like the turd it was.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Ian not being in the 50th is strange beyond all imagining.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

They could have #13, after the adventure with #1, go see Ian, even if it's only sorta spying on him ala:#11 with Amy & Rory in the department store.

6. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't hate it, just saying.

My idea was different. See, I think the world needs more Tom Baker, so I wouldn't even dream of cutting that out.

However, after the Doctor's conversation with the Curator, I actually have the TARDIS landing in an office, looking for Clara, only for Ian to tell him that she's not there yet. Then the Doctor and Ian would share a conversation, about how time changes and so do they (Ian could quip about their distinct reverse in looks), so definitely have Ian consciously be aware of the Doctor's changing appearances (spin-off would always cover that field, anyway). Ian might then remind him of his past, their shared past, and the Doctor would reflect on that, tell Ian to tell Clara he'll come by, "say hello to Barbara for me", enter his TARDIS, dematerialize, Ian gets the goosebumps. Then, the end scene as is.

I mean, Tom Baker and William Russell? Now that's almost a proper 50th anniversary, right there.
    At the very least it allowed for the Zygon two-parter to happen, which is maybe the defining Capaldi story. So at least it was resolved, even if eventually.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Maybe Chibnall will finally correct the error and bring back William Russell. Any scene with him, "Chesterfield," and goosebumps can and absolutely must happen.

The Wormhole likes this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the Curator scene is actually my favourite part of Day of the Doctor. Sure, in a perfect world we could have both, but if I had to choose between William Russell or Tom Baker, William Russell wins.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Yeah I love the curator scene myself....... It's a highlight for the episode which I didn't care much for and I would have dumped the whole Zygon thing.. They should have made that a 3 parter.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched The Five(ish) Doctors and I immediately wanted a six-episode sitcom about the adventures of Peter, Colin, and Sylv. :)