• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Doctor Who 3.0 News

Feel comfortable in playing fast and loose with some elements of canon, hell even lampshade it: "Pretty sure I've already been on the Titanic...twice! That's time for you, always in flux."
I’ve long liked the idea of cheekily acknowledging that new stories are always being added for already-past Doctors. “Oh, things used to happen to me that didn’t used to used to happen to me all the time!”
 
I'm not saying that Moffat would showrun Doctor Who if Hartswood won the bid, no. I don't think he'd want to at this stage in his life. We're all older than we were fifteen years ago. But would he find a showrunner if his company got it? No doubt. If he's bidding, he may even have one lined up.
Part of me would quite like this - especially if the team behind The Devils Hour was given the reigns, Moff as an EP but with the other talent working on it day to day.

Heck, Tom Moran as showrunner with Moffat's watchful eye as an EP could be fantastic. The Devil's Hour is a great example of what Who could look like in this next iteration - quality, but not ridiculously high-budget, mind-bending concept and fantastic production.
 
High praise. I heard about The Devil's Hour prior to its first season but then forgot all about it. Starring Jessica Raine and Peter Capaldi is a big plus. Definitely sounds like my kind of show.
Honestly? I think its a pretty fresh show. Season 2 IMO not quite as good as S1, but it didn't suffer from "Season 2 death everything falls apart" like so many other shows with great first seasons do either. It expanded the arc and pushed things forward nicely. I believe S3 is going to be the last, and I think that is right for the story, but I personally found it gripping.

The tone would have to be a little lighter, but actually the production model, style, casting, writing etc would be perfect for this next iteration of Doctor Who. Think "Moffat-influenced with another voice adding something new to that voice"
 
Last edited:
I really like The Devil's Hour. What I would say is that I've watched/read a whole heap of genre stuff in the same wheelhouse. I understand what's going on etc, and the show still makes my head hurt at times!

Also the gap between seasons did leave me scratching my head trying to remember what the hell was going on :lol:
 
Devlin I'm indifferent about. His name doesn't fill me with excitement, but it doesn't turn me away either.

But No, NO, to bringing Tennant back. Like I've said before, I love Tennant and consider him My Doctor, but the franchise can not and should not revolve around him.
 
Hmm. CultBox is commenting on a Times article that says Devlin's talking with the BBC. Then CultBox adds:

A report of an entertainment company already in talks the BBC is peculiarly questionable and potentially problematic since the BBC has not yet posted it’s Doctor Who Invitation to Tender (ITT), a document which begins the process of inviting competing production companies to submit pitches. Premature talks with a singular production company before posting the tender would seem a violation of the BBC’s charter.

So I'm not going to spend much time just yet pondering whether this would be good or bad.
 
Devlin I'm indifferent about. His name doesn't fill me with excitement, but it doesn't turn me away either.

But No, NO, to bringing Tennant back. Like I've said before, I love Tennant and consider him My Doctor, but the franchise can not and should not revolve around him.
Agreed about Tennant. No more. I didn’t like the idea of him returning the first time. While I ultimately enjoyed his three episodes, I absolutely do not want to repeat that. The show needs a new Doctor and not yet another return from the past.
 
Last edited:
Tennant will never be my favourite modern Doctor, Smith and Capaldi will probably always be ahead of him, but I accept that he is popular, but if Doctor Who is going to continue it has to have new blood, the whole premise is based upon changing actors every few years.

I get the idea of him providing a shot in the arm and can see the logic, I saw the logic when RTD brought him back...but...I do wonder, did those Doctor/Donna specials inadvertently harm Ncuti? Would it have been better if he'd straight up been the replacement for Whittaker rather than being the replacement for the most popular Doctor since Tom? (I will debate this point because you can argue Matt was pretty darn popular)

It's a question we probably can't ever answer.

Setting aside the idea of bringing him back, would Tennant even want to come back? I know he loves the show and the character, but surely even he realises the show now needs to look forwards not back.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top