• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Doctor Who 3.0 News

I get that Americans wouldn't have heard of him since he's an Olympic Cyclist but I'm mystified how any Scot or even Brit wouldn't of.

When Brexit happened my step dad was forced to leave Scotland. Since I have no friends and he is just about the only relative I have who doesn't want to literally kill me for the heinous crime of existing, I chose to leave with him. I've been living in Sweden for the past several years. I try to keep up with stuff in Britain, but it's pretty miserable news all-round these days.
 
I only know of Chris Hoy from the Horne Section song.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
 
Okay, yeah. That's about what the Jacobites would've had at Culloden. Probably brass rather than iron. They were light 3-pounders they took from the defeated British at Falkirk. They were incredibly ineffective at Culloden and were only able to get off one or two shots for each piece.

While something in the romance of the Jacobite cause stirs me, I have to admit that the Stuarts themselves -- James VII/II, James Francis Edward, and Bonnie Prince Charlie -- were truly unappealing people.

I recently found a concept album about the Williamite Wars -- a Jacobite rising in Ireland in the 1680s and early 1690s after the Glorious Revolution, famous for the Battle of the Boyne -- at a local charity shop, and I pondered my very mixed feelings about the Glorious Revolution. I can like driving James II from the throne and the Constitutional changes on the one hand while also not liking William on the other. At times I wonder if a successful Monmouth's Rebellion in 1685 might've been better over the long term.

To bring this back to Doctor Who, Patrick Troughton played Septimus Saxon in a BBC Radio 4 adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel about the Monmouth Rebellion, Micah Clarke, shortly before he died. I've not heard the adaptation, and the novel itself is a dull Victorian doorstopper.
 
Okay, yeah. That's about what the Jacobites would've had at Culloden. Probably brass rather than iron. They were light 3-pounders they took from the defeated British at Falkirk. They were incredibly ineffective at Culloden and were only able to get off one or two shots for each piece.

While something in the romance of the Jacobite cause stirs me, I have to admit that the Stuarts themselves -- James VII/II, James Francis Edward, and Bonnie Prince Charlie -- were truly unappealing people.

I recently found a concept album about the Williamite Wars -- a Jacobite rising in Ireland in the 1680s and early 1690s after the Glorious Revolution, famous for the Battle of the Boyne -- at a local charity shop, and I pondered my very mixed feelings about the Glorious Revolution. I can like driving James II from the throne and the Constitutional changes on the one hand while also not liking William on the other. At times I wonder if a successful Monmouth's Rebellion in 1685 might've been better over the long term.

To bring this back to Doctor Who, Patrick Troughton played Septimus Saxon in a BBC Radio 4 adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel about the Monmouth Rebellion, Micah Clarke, shortly before he died. I've not heard the adaptation, and the novel itself is a dull Victorian doorstopper.
Apparently even the Irish troops at the battle of the Boyne called James “Seamus (the Irish for James) an cac” - “Seamus the shite.” “Swap kings and we’ll fight again”, was the lament.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top