Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Dec 28, 2012.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn old people. You can't even remember the right decade. Make up your minds.

:p

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Get off my lawn!!!!!

3. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By the way...since this seems to be the catch-all' talk about Trek 2009 thread...Having just watched the film again. I figured out what I like most about it.

My biggest complaint about modern cinema and TV is the death of the normal-looking/ugly character actor.

The cast of Trek 2009? That is one bunch of normal, almost ugly looking fellas. with the exception of Uhura of course. Pine is weird though. You see him in publicity photos and he's almost stunningly good-looking, but the film showed him in all his pock-marked glory.

Congrats also to Abrams for getting very good jobs out of Hemsworth, Cross, Greenwood and even Ryder.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ugly? Fanlore.org dubbed them GQMFers!
    Well... maybe not Scotty...

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm pretty sure that originated at ontd_startrek, but I could be mistaken. Was all over there by end of May/early June 2009, anyway.

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

All I know is if it's not on my i-Pod, it's CRAP!

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

You're ALL wrong. The words "classic" and "rock" don't belong in the same sentence. Rock'n'roll is all about knocking authority figures of their pedestal. It has an expiration date.

8. Nerys Myk

I'm still knocking authority figures off their pedestals. Age is just a number.

9. The Mirrorball Man

As soon as you're talking about "classic rock", you're not knocking authority figures off their pedestals, you're creating authority figures.

And yeah. Star Trek. It totally needed a reboot.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

A lot of rockers have gotten fabulously wealthy singing songs about knocking down authority.

11. Nerys Myk

Nah, I'm just talking about music that came out when I was a kid.

12. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Other than the fact that he looks like a linebacker (having played sword-swinging behemoths like Eomer in Lord of the Rings) and Kelley was always frail even in TOS. Not that Urban's build is his fault, but aside from some slight facial resemblance, he is the last person on earth I'd cast to play McCoy. Apparently in this timeline, McCoy is hooked on roids.

13. Nerys Myk

He got all the mass that Scotty lost.

14. mos6507

Yeah, all that missing complexity, like banging Uhura or throwing temper tantrums. That JJ, he sure knows how to add subtlety and depth to characters. It helps to use the writers from character studies like Transformers 2 also. I mean, that transformer with the wrecking ball nuts was right up there with Shakespeare.

15. Nerys Myk

I saw him kiss Uhura and have a few tender moments, no "banging" Temper tantrums are part of some classic Spock scenes in TOS. And I was talking about Spock in TOS, but you're so quick to jump in with your "this movie sucks" schtick you missed that.

That said, Spock in ST09 was presented as a complex character. There several well scripted moments with Uhura, his parents and of course Kirk that highlighted this complexity.

16. The Mirrorball Man

Nah, he's really not.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock in Abrams's movie was more reminiscent of TOS Spock, and far more complex and interesting a character, than they managed in six TOS-based movies featuring the original actor.

18. mos6507

You're probably the only person on the planet who doesn't think he banged Uhura. Heck, some people think Kirk banged Spock. It doesn't take an actual sex scene to prove it.

Which Nimoy disavows in interviews as him "finding" the character. Those scenes are in the can and you can retcon it if you want, but it wasn't how they originally planned him.

Which would be easy to miss with all the lens flare and "punch-its".

If people want to judge JJ Trek as just a fun romp, so be it, but don't proceed to defend it as some sort of great piece of drama. It's not, and as far as I'm concerned a lot of it is as bad if not worse in the writing department as The Final Frontier, it's just that you don't notice it as much because the budget is higher, the editing quicker, and the cast is more photogenic. People winced when an old Scotty hit the beam in The Final Frontier, but now, inexplicably, people seem to enjoy seeing a young Scotty get shot through the brewery like a scene from Willy Wonka. Maybe people's taste is what needs a reboot the most.

19. Nerys Myk

Actually, it does.

If its part of finding the character, then it has to be how they planned it. Spock was having tantrums as late as Season Three.

Not if you pay attention. Are you really that easily distracted?

I'm sorry, but where did I say it was great drama? There are some standout scenes, as there are in most Trek outings, but only the blindly delusional confuses Star Trek with great drama.

Both scenes with Scotty ( Scotties?) are funny. I laughed, just as I laughed when a drunk off his ass Scotty said "It's green" in TOS. Humor is not an anathema to Star Trek.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

There it is: the real "problem" with the film.