Do you subscribe to any conspiracy theories?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Deimos Anomaly, Jul 20, 2012.

?

This poll is MULTIPLE CHOICE

1. Moon landings not as told (faked, or otherwise lied about / findings covered up)

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. JFK additional assassins, or completely different assassins, and for different motives

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. 9/11 staged, or carried out by persons other than Al-Qaeda

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. 2012 End of the world, or similar.

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. Chem-trails

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. HAARP

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Illuminati

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  8. Freemasons

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  9. Lizard aliens secretly rule the world

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  10. Government knowledge of aliens

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  11. Secret Nazi Germany technology

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  12. Revolutionary technologies / inventions suppressed by a conspiracy of big businesses / gov'ts

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  13. None of the above

36 vote(s)
    52.2%
  14. Other

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Plus, real life "conspiracies" are honestly disappointingly dull. Any real one boils down to playing up what supports what you want to happen and omitting what you don't.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lizard aliens, duh.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This whole Stewart/Pattinson thing did give me pause. :shifty:

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back in High School we had to give persuasive speeches on a controversial topic and I chose the Paul McCartney is dead theory and took the side to prove that he was dead (which I didn't believe) and had a great time doing it, and the class enjoyed it, but I only got a 'B' because the teacher thought it wasn't controversial enough. Dick.

5. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

It's said there's the common member masons, a front, basically, and there's the upper echelons, the few that hold the real power. If you believe all that stuff.

I'm not too big into conspiracies, but read things and wonder about them? How come no one can pull of the shots that the Warren Commission (i think?) said Oswald made in the time they said he did, using the weapon he had and at that distance?

Why was so much material evidence of JFK and RFK's assassinations destroyed or lost? Why was the Zapruder film missing frames? 14 bullets were found where Robert Kennedy was killed, Sirhan Sirhan's gun was a 8 shot .22 revolver. Oddly, enough one of RFK's body guards had a .22 pistol.

Assuming any of that's true (see, it's hard to find unbiased sources) If there weren't a conspiracies, some cluster foul ups really made it look like there was.

TWA Flight 800...they reconstructed the plane, but still had a hard time convincing a lot of people that what they said happened did happen. Smelled like someone was at least covering their ass.

According to a tending paramedic, Vince Foster had a bullet hole in his neck and his head. The x-rays of his body went missing.

Again, you can read all that...and then research it and get different views...who really knows?

And why are conspirators so sloppy?

Then again, maybe they aren't...it's only the almost botched ones we hear about.

When it comes to secrets, debunkers usually claim "someone would spill the beans", but then some of conspiracy theories are about people killed before they could do just that. Or when people do supposedly "tell all", there's debunkers that tear that person apart to prove them a fraud. There's many people "want to believe" just about anything and there's a camp who are adamantly against any sort of possible conspiracy (even though there have been some significant conspiracies in history). Sure, the burden is on the believer, but can you really trust either camp? Is there any unbiased research when both sides are making money and getting attention from their positions? (Is that a conspiracy?)

That's why it's best to ignore most conspiracy theories, as much as you can anyway.

6. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

The conspiracy I actually give some credence to is not on the list.

That is:

Both the U.S. and the Soviet Union (during the Cold War).deliberately covered up a number of violent encounters (mainly at sea) in order to avoid calls for war

For example I do believe that K-129 did sink either as a result of an attempt to launch a nuclear missile at Pearl Harbor or because of a collision with a U.S. nuclear sub.

I believe that months later the Soviets sank the U.S.S. Scorpion in retailation.

I believe that during 1950 the U.S. Navy sank a Soviet submarine in Korean waters during the early days of the Korean War.

And I believe that the actual number of exchanges of fire between U.S./allied aircraft and Soviet aircraft was far greater than has been admitted.

7. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, I saw his performance at the end of the Olympics opening ceremony. That's pretty convincing evidence to me.

8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I believe a secret cabal of dwarfs is trying to assassinate me. That's why I drive a bulletproof convertible.

Okay, it's an old Steven Wright line, but it's still funny.

9. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Yeah, the CIA made the Hughes Glomar Explorer ship just to recover the wreckage, under the cover story of going after manganese nodules. And they did recover K-129...at least partially, if not nearly entirely.

Fascinating...and grim for those sub crews to perish that way.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometimes I feel like someone is following me around and manipulates and sabotages things to lead me in a certain direction. And if things don't go according to "the plan", I get punished for it, and if they do, I get rewarded.

Goes to show how the human brain badly wants to make sense of irrationality and coincidences. Everything needs to make sense, everything needs to be explained. That's the root of all conspiracy theories. Or is that just the explanation of conspiracy theories "they" want us to accept...

12. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

13. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As ever, I love Pratchett on conspiracy theories:

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

15. Lonemagpie

I cut and paste them from elsewhere, but that's why I recommended googling the titles.

You've watched the wrong ones- at least one of those Discovery ones did it actually in the book depository window... And one of the experts was something like 82...

Absolutely untrue- his USMC records show he was a good marksman, with times and accuracy matching the assassination.

Actually, those trees weren't in the way in 1963 - they've *grown* as trees are wont to do - there was only a single traffic light support in the way.

I'm sure it's in a museum somewhere... (People who believe in the "magic bullet" theory have to assume that Connally was sitting in line with JFK, on the same level, and facing front. He wasn't - he was in a lower seat, slightly further in, and turned round to look at where the first shot had come from.

The big problem with any grassy knoll shooter is all those people with families who run *towards* the knoll. People generally run *away* from sources of gunshots.

Plus, the total lack of evidence for other shooters, and the fact that every bit of evidence that does turn up, every theory that's tested, just ends up reinforcing the lone shooter.

And, like I said upthread, the reason why belief is so strong is because it's scarier to think that one nut can have such an effect.

16. Lonemagpie

The Red Dwarf version has a lot going for it...

17. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

18. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

I believe it's quite possible Huey Long was accidentally killed when one of his bodyguards jumped the gun.

Guy comes up to the most powerful man in the state and has the gall to bust his lip. Sixty something bullets later you have a dead Kingfish and the young doctor who punched him blown to pieces. They find a .32 revolver in the doctor's glove compartment and plant it at the scene.

By God, Huey P. Long was cut down by a disgruntled and possibly disturbed man! His legacy can't be that he was killed by an incompetent bodyguard. That just won't fly. You repeat that the young man pulled a gun and fired first early enough and loud enough, people will remember it that way.

Then again, maybe Weiss's son just can't accept the truth. Maybe his daddy got pissed off and decided to kill the corrupt son of a bitch who had a strangle hold on his state and was looking to rule the country. Maybe, as president of the Louisiana Medical Society, he just wanted to talk about some sort of healthcare issue. Then, after being told for the third time that that day that "The Senator was a busy man," he just lost it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  19. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

If you were firing into JFKs limo from head on, wouldn't Governor Connally partially restrict your view of the president?