Do you remember joining TrekBBS?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Danoz, Jun 7, 2011.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

PKTrekGirl

You're right, I probably wouldn't have liked it, but from a memory/nostalgia standpoint, I could have at least said I survived it. Still, after you telling me the specifics, I think it was for the best that I missed that time and came on when the DS9 forum was on it's all time high.

2. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

You'll know you've been here too long when the kid succeeds Bonz.

3. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Sorry, it wasn't my intention.

4. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

joined on 7 april 2008 after trying to find some normal people that still liked star trek and somehow found this place. havent really posted much recently though went thruogh a spurt last year.
    found this place to be one of the more friendly boards i've visited.

5. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Still the most grotesque thread I've ever seen on this board (although the sterilisation and Janeway / Mulgrew-hate crap in Voy run it close). It boggles my mind that people have claimed to miss the cretin who posted it.

Some of the "good ol' days" around here weren't much good at all, really.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm old enough to remember 5:31 PM. :lol:

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still remember the whole tshrike thing. That got ugly fast.

But yeah, threads were proper and explosive and we were speaking a language of double and triple Bs (does anyone remember when Biller was the alphabetic third wheel to Berman and Braga?)

People were very... passionate, anyway. It feels like when one goes back to Voyager or Enterprise to criticize the series now it's more like nursing an old wound more than anything else.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was February 19, 2001. I had been reading TrekToday and Jammer's reviews for a while, but finally found the BBS link over to the right. Christian still poster, Red Quacker was banned every other day, and my first year here was filled with Voyager finale discussion and Enterprise and Nemesis rumors. It was a fun time.

9. Cakemixo

Cakemixo Lieutenant Red Shirt

I remember when I joined, but it's only been a few weeks ago. I found this place because I somehow found the TNG Caption contest. I followed it for more than a month before signing up.

10. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

No, but I'm pretty sure I must have at some point.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking for quality fandom. I had been on the Star Trek One yahoogroup since 2000, with a few long gaps during which my Star Wars love affair was in full swing. This yahoogroup was becoming more and more stagnant as forums took over the net and mailing lists ended up populated only by the old guard. It seemed some days that everyone hated everything new (new being VOY and ENT) and the stodginess of the conversation about the other series was stifling. I needed fresh enthusiasm fandom so I went looking and presumably found this place in about 2 minutes. That was in 2007, have not returned to the yahoogroup in a long time.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

There used to be several sites I would visit pretty much daily for news on books, movies and TV, and TrekToday was one of them. That led me to lurking on the Forums, looking for bits of news or spoilers. Then one day somebody in SF&F asked a question about the Shadow, which I knew the answer to. After he went unanswered for a couple of days, I felt bad for him and registered and responded to his post. I figured that was it, but, once registered, it becomes very easy to reply to stuff and it sort of snowballed after that. :rommie:

13. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

March 2003 for me, and the only reason I joined was to get past all those flood-checks when browsing the top threads on the sidebar of TrekToday. I didn't start posting until the fall when I needed distractions from classes. :p

14. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

Sweeties, most of you are wee babies still.

Late 2001 I was lurking on the internet looking for spoilers for the final episodes of Voyager (strange to think of a time when you where not blasted with the infomation weeks before the episode aired - let alone in this case, six months after the fact!)

I came across TrekToday from a simple AltaVista search (yes, now that IS OLD) and eventually entered the forums. I had absolutely no idea what forums where frankly and I honestly thought all this chatter was actually semi-professional (okay that one didn't last that long!)

I registered under another username November 2001 but wasn't really that active - heck, several weeks after registering I moved to the otherside of the world from Melbourne, Australia to Salt Lake City, Utah. I think I got to about 170ish posts prior to calling it quits with that name.

In Feb 2002 I registered this name - mainly because I didn't like the old name and frankly, I never have been a big user of psydonyms - I have always like my own name or playful varients of it. I didn't mention it to anybody - cause this was the height of paranoia on the board with trolls and multiple IDs and susannah and Lisa took no priosoners in their moderation style and even a hint of a former past username life would've had Katie's modding stick slam down hard on you.

I became a moderator barely six months later (I'm still not too sure why - but I think it was too do with being a Janewayite - a big plus when the board was ruled by Lisa). I wonder if I still hold the record from registering to becoming a mod? (not counting the initial start up crew in 1999 of course!)

I always had a hands off approach to moderating (read - too lazy to bother about reading the threads half the time) but thankfully Trek Lit was a polite forum mainly and other then one certain annoying poster who I successfully got banned through some very machiavellian tatics on my behalf, it was a pretty peachy forum more or less.

Still after several years (even convincing The Powers That Be to put on a second mod to help me with my 'workload'), I had to admit I had even less interest in Trek Lit then I started with and got moved to a short (but very enjoyable) stint in The Neutral Zone (was that the name of the place? I really struggle to even remember!), then sometime maybe four years ago, it was time for me to accend to a higher level of existance and leave the boards forever. :)

I will be honest here - my interest in Star Trek has only ever been passing. I enjoyed Voyager - but I will even admit it doens't really hold up to repeat viewing. I never had huge interest in most of the other series (But I learnt how to fake it!). What kept me at this site was the people and forums like Misc and SF&F and the Lounges. It was the interactions that I enjoyed with everybody here.

But one moves on, one gets a real life, but I still have fond memories of the place. :) Heck I do visit sometimes. :)

BTW... I LOVED the 05:31PM thread. I am sure it still exists out there somewhere. It was my first big major 'event' on this board, and it felt so fun (and naughty) to be posting on the thread that wouldn't close!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

AltaVista! I was trying to remember what that was called. All I could remember was that there was a V in it.

Still, I joined a year BEFORE you. :p

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember when AltaVista was like the go to search engine. I had it as my homepage for a few years before Google came and it was great. Man that feels like ancient history now.

17. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

I haven't been here for a full year yet. But I like it.

I was bored and decided based on my father's advice to look at star trek talking sites and found this. I actaully signed up becuase I read somebodies post and disagreed with it.

18. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Most, but not all, newbie. :p

Geez, I used to post in the Lit forum when you modded it. I remember when the board returned after the big crash and the software changed at the same time; you had a thread in Lit where people were grumbling about it all. That wouldn't happen now. :lol:

Nice to see you drop by, ER.

19. Captain Brylcream

Captain Brylcream Commander Red Shirt

I just remembered what brought me here in 2005, trawling through st-minutiae's archives of the Voyager Coronaries. It was mentioned they were all posted on the TrekBBS, and I thought I'd head over and see what that was. I have now been lurking in the corners succesfully on here ever since.