Do people still believe in Hell?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jayson1, Apr 22, 2017.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

2. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jesus Christ...
    Superstar...
    Burning 'round the corner on a Yamaha!

3. Robert McCall

Robert McCall Ensign Red Shirt

4. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

A lot of fiction I've been reading and some different authors seem to have latched onto the idea of the angel Gabriel not liking us earthlings much. There's a few books like this a TV show called Dominion, and the Prophecy trilogy starring Christopher Walken.

I had assumed he was one of the good guys amongst the angels but not according to fantasy authors.

5. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the In Nomine RPG, Gabriel, Archangel of Fire, is still one of the "good" guys (for a value of good that largely depends upon your campaign style). She's also responsible for nurturing the blues and jazz movements in America... but she's also kinda insane, because she's sharing her Word with Belial, Demon Prince of Fire, and sharing a Word you're responsible for with a demon puts a strain on an angel's mind.

http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/draft/gabriel.html

6. Gingerbread Demon

Yeah but in the movies and books I am looking at Gabriel is pissed at humans because they're God's favourite ...... In both the Prophecy movies and the TV series Domnion they take the idea that Gabriel wants nothing more then to wage war on Earth against humanity.

7. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, they needed someone with name recognition, and there aren't that many angels with names everybody knows. There's like Michael, and Gabriel, and... well, the Big Bad. For all it's mentioned, Heaven isn't fleshed out very well.

Despite being non-religious, I like "alternative" theologies, like "Reign in Hell" by Steven Brust, or "God's Demon" by Wayne Barlowe.

8. Gingerbread Demon

Yeah same, hence why I like these kind of stories.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

We're all pieces of God. It set up the planet and then dispersed itself in the form of humanity, to see if it could take on something of magnitude and survive without the power to control it.

So far, we're failing.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

God's Debris: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_Debris

12. Gingerbread Demon

Oooh I like that.

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

While I like the notion of pandeism, the christian churches would consider it heresy. Scott Adams has so many other loopy opinions that I feel loath to give credence to any that I find amenable.

BillJ likes this.
  14. Gingerbread Demon

Nah, people are just bad code .. lol

publiusr and BillJ like this.
  15. The Lady Eve

The Lady Eve Vice Admiral Admiral

Bizarre story from the Daily Beast about a secret Catholic exorcist cult who not only believe in hell, but regularly chat up Satan.

ROME—Plinio Correa de Oliveira is almost as peculiar in death as he was in life. Dr. Plinio, as he is still known by his devout followers, was a right-wing Catholic figure who founded the ultra conservative Tradition, Family and Property Association, known in Catholic circles as the TFP.

In death, Dr. Plinio is said to be in close contact with Satan, who supposedly can be channeled by Brazilian exorcists. He also apparently rules the so-called afterlife to such an extent that his followers are convinced he controls climate change and is working toward the death of Pope Francis, according to Andrea Tornielli, who writes the Vatican Insider blog, and has published a series of articles outlining this saga worthy of a Dan Brown bestseller.

After Dr. Plinio died in 1995, the TFP broke into two groups. One retains the TFP name... The other group, known as the Heralds of the Gospel, was founded by Monsignor João Scognamiglio Clá Dias and allegedly takes part in cult worship.

Specifically, Dr. Plinio’s followers led by Dias are said to be using rogue exorcism practices in which they actually communicate with the devil possessing people rather than chasing him out, as the standard accepted practice in Catholic exorcisms dictates.

[...]

And that sort of devil worship is understandably a problem for the Catholic Church. :devil: On June 12, Clá Dias resigned as head and founder of the Herald of Gospels, although Tornielli says he will stay on in what appears to be a consultant-like role.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/this-s...ult-in-brazil-is-making-a-deal-with-the-devil

Longish but intriguing story chock full of wack jobs. Check out the Monsignor's photo - he looks like a guy who thinks the Spanish Inquisition was a great idea.

16. Gingerbread Demon

I don't think exorcism is real.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]

BillJ and CorporalCaptain like this.
  18. Gingerbread Demon

Cool gif

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Hammer studios needed him.

20. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

I assume that most people believe in Hell, since most people still believe in deities and even specific religions. I find it more fascinating that some religions don't even have Heaven, but just a version of Hell, like the Greek Haydes or the Jewish Sheol.