Discovery's Captain

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Bry_Sinclair, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Tasteless and unnecessary Premium Member

Always seeking new and better distractions
    Fuller has said that since the captain has not been cast, they don't know the character's gender, because that's "not how [Fuller] writes characters."

So, given that if the character had already been established rather than created new they would know his/her gender, that leaves Garth et al out entirely.

Fuller also says he doesn't know the "Axanar story."

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  2. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Commodore Commodore

Well, if the captain is indeed Garth of Izar as many are predicting, it makes sense for the lead to be a department head so as to foment the eventual mutiny that ousts him. Maybe she'll be captain come S2 or 3.

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hoping for someone original, not Garth--though him as a guest character would be interesting, see what the hype was about.

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I too, am a big fan of Plummer and the big question here is if in fact, they really do go with the idea of Chang being the Klingon captain, who do they cast who could fill Plummer's shoes and do justice to the character? While recasting an older character with someone playing their younger selves is nothing new, I don't know if I want to see it done here. If they can find the right actor, then I'm all for it.

5. LocutusCrusher

LocutusCrusher Lieutenant Red Shirt

Michael Fassbender.

[​IMG]

6. Thefallguy

Thefallguy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He WOULD be a great fit, but as he is mainly doing motion pictures, I'd think his salary is out of league for a role as a series regular.

7. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Lt. Arex for captain...

8. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh my God. That is insane. Spitting image. And ...Fassbender as a Klingon? FFFFFF...! I want me some of that!

9. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be pretty cool, maybe a little small universe but no worse than them featuring Pike and the Enterprise at any point. What might be interesting is if he is ever on any sort of friendly terms with the Discovery and someone introduces him to Hamlet etc.
    If it were only about looks I would say a Sound of Music reboot is on the cards.

10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm of the opinion that the main character will be Number One from "The Cage" and the Captain will be a minority woman.

11. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have they given us a date for when casting will be announced? I think I heard filming is beginning in September so we can't be that far off.

12. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From what was said with this last infodump we won't get anything more until October.

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

the captain could be all kinds of cool things
    • Artificial Intelligence (toaster?)
    • Horta
    • 2-dimensional lifeform (awkwaaaaard!)
    • a puddle of black goo
    • etc

14. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

If the Klingon captain rumors are true then if you put that together with the design of the ship, it points to something in Klingon space. Perhaps the Klingon captain is like the bus driver while the Federation "team" is in charge of the main expedition, whatever that may be. This sets up a situation where there could be conflicts between the captain and the Feds. Hopefully this wouldn't be tiring.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love it if the captain was Garth of Izar.

Especially if Nathan Fillion plays him. Just to mess with Browncoats' heads. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Kevin Wolff likes this.
  16. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What do you mean? We ought to know the cast before they start shooting next month.

17. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Yeah, I think October is when we can expect to see some production imagery and maybe a new teaser. They can't hide the casting and that's coming very soon. Fingers crossed for Nathan Fillion as Captain Garth. Lee Pace runner-up.

18. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Oo, I like that. I do believe we'll see Number One again at some point since she's the next logical Spock/Data iteration, but not as DSC crew in the first season.

19. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really a winning strategy there, though, is it? "Hello. I don't believe in you, and I won't be following any of your rules unless I do so accidentally because it coincides with what *I* decide to do. Can I have a cookie?" No, Bry. No cookie for you.

(I've done the same thing, though. ;) )
    Right. Because humans *never* try to blow one another up. :p

But it definitely wouldn't be Star Trek.
    I'm fine with any of these except the Horta (CANON VIOLATION) and etc. Etc just covers way too much for me to just agree. ;) It would be interesting if the captain was somehow "etc" as a concept, though - this week it's male and Andorian, next week it's female and Deltan, next week - something else, and so on, but it always has the same name and everybody acts like this is expected with no explanation. (At least, not for a while.)

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Bryan Fuller said he's not revealing anything else to the public until October.