Discovery Needs To Go Ahead And DO THE THING

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by slappy, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Captain Kris Kringle Pike Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe? I mean, what we see as a benevolent Federation may not be regarded as such by others. Hell, just look at the dust up between Titan and Earth. Misunderstandings abound.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

Did the 32nd century Federation have a religious reverence of things from the past? Were they all watching Betty Boop cartoons on their computer screens?

3. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Did we all of the 32nd century Federation? Sorry, I'm not going to assume that what we saw in Season 3 was all encompassing of the Federation.

4. Dukhat

You’re welcome to your opinion. With the small-universe syndrome that Star Trek seems to have, I tend to take everything at face value.

5. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Naturally.

I cannot take everything at face value. Star Trek has not benefitted me from having such a view. Mileage, etc.

6. Unionized Elf

Unionized Elf Fleet Admiral Admiral

After Calypso aired Michael Chabon said "V'Draysh" is what linguistic drift turns the word "Federation" into, so there we are.

7. Dukhat

Yep. And instead of that, DSC season 3 retconned it into a slur. That some guy used one time. And nobody else did. And we never heard it again.

8. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

Ok, but it had to come somewhere and didn't necessarily mean "Hey, every Federation thing everywhere!" Though, that kind of monolithic thinking would be unsurprising in Star Trek.

9. Christmas Chaos

Christmas Chaos Stealer of all the cookies in time and space Premium Member

Awww damn now you got me wondering if Betty Boop would work on a holodeck? haha

10. Dukhat

Which was my point about taking everything at face value. In real life that would be absurd, but Star Trek isn’t remotely real life.

11. Captain Kris Kringle Pike

It's still ridiculous and not my general approach to Trek.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  12. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Captain Captain

It would also be great to learn how Captain Braxton and his time ships fit into all of this, as they were from the 29th Century--well into the past be now! Come to think if it, it would have been absolutely brilliant to tie that into the Burn somehow. (Though anything would have been brilliant compared to the crushing letdown of the Burn's real cause.)

If memory serves, the 32nd Century is also when the backup Doctor from "Living Witness" is due to show up in Federation Space. Having him be a part of rebuilding the Federation would also be brilliant. But I guess they'd have to secure Robert Picardo, and then come up with an explanation for why he appears older despite being a hologram.

13. Christmas Chaos

Christmas Chaos Stealer of all the cookies in time and space Premium Member

Easy peasy. "aging subroutine" was added to his matrix since he can modify himself he added that.