News Discovery isn't on TV because no-one would watch it

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Captain of the USS Averof, Nov 17, 2016.

1. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Lol. You just have bad luck.
    HDMI is the one which says hdmi on the box or the cable, and plugs in the only two holes it fits in on the two things you connect. Basically....it's just a different name for he olde co axial cable as far as VHS vs Blu Ray tech is concerned. That's what I mean about learning the stuff...it's always sounds more complicated that it is, and usually you have two new things doing the same job as the old things, and from our end user perspective only the shape and name has changed.
    I know what you mean in those outlier circumstances...sometimes manufacturers are sods, and their menu designers speak another language three removed along the translation matrix. Computers in particular used to suffer badly. These days...not so much. Unless you use Linux. (And the Linux faithful will come to say to me a similar thing to me here about TVs. Except they are lying half Borg......)
    Didn't your box TV have a video input? Little yellow thing...you probably could have cludged something. Or bought an older player.
    I miss the old tech most of the time. It had something the modern tech doesn't, and I am not sure there is actually that much improvement for the average user at home....but, we live in the world we do, and unless we are gonna use our old TV sets to hold open a giant set of doors while someone flies a flatscreen under it to freedom, we should probably just learn as fast as we can.
    Or try to watch all our TV on iPads...because then it's still 4:3 and we can lean it on a box for the right feeling. And apple design stuff for easy use. Read. Poke. Read. Poke. Charge battery.
    It doesn't quite have the nice rounded bubble to it mind you...but you can marvel at wiggling your fingers a centimetre behind Janeways head while she's talking and marvel at what your younger self may not have imagined.
    That's what I do. Waggle waggle. 'Take her our Mister Paris' Waggle waggle.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I always tell the tech support people not to worry about talking down to me.

"Great silver bird flies in sky" is about my comfort zone when it comes to technobabble. :)

somebuddyX and jaime like this.
  3. Apparition B5

Apparition B5 Commander Red Shirt

Personally, I haven't watched live television since 2012. IMO, there's absolutely no reason to watch live television unless you're into sports. I mostly stream to my television via PlayStation.

CBS All Access is available on desktop and notebook computers, Google Chromecast, Roku devices, PlayStation 4, XBox One, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, most Android TV devices, some smart TVs, and mobile devices. It's available on quite a few more devices than just computers, smart TVs, or mobile devices. A Chromecast, Roku, or Amazon stick will cost you about $50.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  4. jaime

To be fair, if they going from crt or older LCDs, VHS and an old mac plugged into the wall for internet, there may be a few expenses and issues to incur (wifi for the chromecast or similar, etc) but I am not quite sure it will be quite the problem people expect. Odds are if you are reading this, there's a way, somehow, to watch Trek. I am in the U.K. So I will be watching it on Netflix, and I have a feeling a lot of people will just use a foreign VPN to do the same from the US. Which probably makes a change. Usually it's us hoisting the jolly rogers and the the false flags to get things on our screens in a timely fashion. (I go through hoops to watch face off on syfy...because it's not available here at all. Not to buy, not the watch on syfy here...and that's just a reality TV show.)

Philip Guyott likes this.
  5. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well there is a certain amount of planned obsolesce in media devices, its why there is a new video game platform every 5 to 8 years.

I also think you don't really know if you like something or not, till you tried it. I didn't have a smart phone till 2012, now I find its a very useful tool and I don't think Netflix is hard to use at all.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Depends on how one is using it. Through a PC with an already set up internet connection, it is a breeze. Hooking you Smart TV/disc player/video game console/streaming device can be more of a challenge for the tech novice. Especially if they don't already have wi-fi set up in their home.

7. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is a fair assessment.

8. jaime

PS3 is probably easiest way...you can use the old PlayStation av connector plug that into an old crt TV....Netflix on a crt. Sorted. Even plays blu rays. And it's lan connection as well as wifi.

9. Greg Cox

Oh, I'm sure that once I get over the (sometimes steep) learning curve, I'll wonder how I ever got by without it. That's how it usually works. I hated Track Changes the first few times I was forced to use it, but I've made my peace with it and have come to see its advantages, as apposed to editing with red pencils and Post-It notes. And for those us who were never good at reading maps, GPS devices are a gift from God . . .. .

And I'm not a total Luddite. I remember when typewriters were still the industry standard; I'm in no hurry to return to the days of White-Out and correction tape. Nor do I miss having to ship bulky manuscripts back and forth by mail instead of by email. And I think it's very cool that I can write for British publishers and magazines without ever stirring from my home in Amish country. (Insert horse-and-buggie joke here.)

But, yeah, the planned obsolescence thing still galls me sometimes. They really expect us to replace perfectly good gadgets--and learn new programs--every few years? That doesn't seem either economical or a good use of our time.

And sometimes the "upgrades" just seem to be about lots of new bells and whistles that only make simple tasks more complicated. I swear, my TV remote has at least thirty buttons, but I only use about six of them: Start, Stop, Pause, Rewind . . . . :)

Ditto for word-processing programs. I don't need to know how to insert "hyperlinks" or "metadata." I just want to be able to change the line spacing or print something in italics, that's all. And heaven help you if your fingers slip on the keyboard and suddenly all the formatting changes and you don't know what command you hit by mistake. Thank God for the "Undo" button, although that doesn't always work . . ..

(He rants, channeling his inner curmudgeon.)

fireproof78 and Jedman67 like this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can @Greg Cox do a stand up routine about technology and just rant and rave for 50 minutes? I would watch that on whatever format he chose to release it in-especially on vinyl or VHS just for the completing the joke ;)

11. Greg Cox

I admit I'm having too much fun here, when I really need to be writing.

On a laptop, for the record, which is only four years old.

But even that I was forced into getting when I found out that Warner Bros. wouldn't allow me to take a copy of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES script off the studio lot, thereby compelling me to get something portable I could write on in Burbank . . . .

Before that I was making do with my old Dell PC, which had replaced my trusty old Compaq computer many years earlier . ...

It usually takes something urgent--like a new STAR TREK tv series--to get me to upgrade.

(See how I deftly brought us back On-Topic?)

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  12. KelisThePoet

KelisThePoet Commander Red Shirt

I personally see great value in scheduled TV. It promotes the habit of watching a certain show at a certain time. The benefit to the show here, is obvious; but there's also a benefit to the viewer, at least a viewer with a certain kind of disposition. It's fun to be a part of a regularly occurring event, to like your show so much you make it "appointment TV," to look forward to and anticipate your favorite show. And it encourages you to take time out for leisure rather than squeeze leisure into a busy schedule. The so-called convenience of getting to watch a show whenever I want to watch it just increases the temptation to double-task, to catch the show on some tiny device while rushing to work or checking e-mails, or just to procrastinate watching the show at all.

But if the show is great enough, if the writers do their jobs, you'll want to watch the show, right? Maybe. But in addition to the fact that things on a schedule always take priority over things not on a schedule, not every show starts out great, but many are entertaining and worth trying. Many shows start out slow as the writers figure out how they work, but have potential nevertheless. So a fun diversion and break from the workday every Thursday night can eventually become something more, but a fun diversion and nothing more won't compete for the attention of a viewer who has to schedule it in.

Finally, when shows are scheduled, a large segment of people watch them at the same time. In addition to an event, it's a communal event, and there's value in that, too. I tend to be more liberal than most in my social outlook, but I don't think it's true that everything edgy is progressive and everything unpopular is intelligent. And even if that were the case, I see a limited value to progressive, intelligent programming that never escapes a limited social bubble.

13. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would purchasing a pre-paid debit card or a MasterCard gift card solve this problem? Works like a credit card but does not contain any personal information.

14. jaime

Netflix can be paid for through iTunes and I think through Amazon, both of which are able to be topped up by vouchers. Does CBS work the same way?

15. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Compaq FTW!

16. Greg Cox

Served me well for many, many years.

17. KelisThePoet

That would solve the credit card problem, which is actually the smaller of my two problems. I have a credit card and occasionally make online purchases. I'm just more cautious about it than most. What I don't have is a television or computer with the right specs. And like I said above, that's my personal choice to an extent, but I'm just trying to point out that it's more complicated than laying down six bucks.

18. Apparition B5

Apparition B5 Commander Red Shirt

For better or for worse, the days of communal television are, for the most part, over. When you had four television channels, people could get together at the water cooler or wherever and discuss last night's episode of Joanie Loves Chachi. Now you have 200+ cable television channels, dozens of video streaming services, podcasts, thousands of video games... rarely anyone watches the same television shows, nonetheless the same episode. All television shows are in a limited social bubble now.

19. KelisThePoet

And that's sad. Television used to be far more democratic (lower-case "d"), with all the shortcomings and potential of democracy.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Netflix is a website.

We can access Netflix with any device connected to the internet, even a smart tv or a smart toilet...

Ever since any of us had an internet ready computer, made after the year 2003 (earlier within reason), we could watch Netflix on it.

There's a free 2 week trial.

Netflix, I have been assured, does not give a damn if we share our password/login with a few friends/family, or our friends/family share their password/login with us.