Discovery is losing me in Season 3, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Ometiklan, Jan 4, 2021.

1. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

I never could get into The Orville. I think if I wanted that kind of show, there are two seasons of TNG I haven't gotten around to yet, and I never did give Voyager a fair chance.

Kzinti, donners22 and fireproof78 like this.
  2. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Mi pochuye to bosmang

3. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Oye kopeng! To showxa wamali Lang Belta ke?

TimeIsAPredator likes this.
  4. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gave up on this show mid way through season 2. The writing is just bad and it's one cringe moment after another. Lots of unearned emotional moments.

The show also has no sense of grounding at all. Everything is magic.

I don't know any one in real life who thinks Michael Burnham is a good character.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Mechanoid1 likes this.
  5. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I was invested for the majority of season 1. Wasn't a fan of how they wrapped everything up, but put it down to the writers wanting to wrap up what Fuller had set in motion.

Season 2 - began growing impatient with the Red Angel mystery box. Not enough meat on the bone, so to speak. The beats in between nudging the mystery box storyline along were not enough to keep me engaged. The Burnhamverse angle of the series really started to grate. High point was If Memory Serves, which I hoped like hell was a turning point. Unfortunately it was back to the standard fare afterwards.

Season 3 - no high points. No retreat from Burnham as savior of all, in spite of the writers teasing and questioning her savior complex in Unification III. Not quite sure what their game is. They start down the path of doing something somewhat interesting with the characters (see also: Osyra) but can't help themselves on the home stretch and flip to action hero mode. Ultimately, I feel the series suffers from subpar writing, forced emotional beats and an underdeveloped ensemble.

It seems with each passing season my bias against the series increases, which is why I might do a re-watch later this year. I am a Star Trek fan; it's not much fun to having so much of it being produced and not liking the bulk of it!

Mechanoid1 likes this.
  6. johnjm22

Been watching the NFL today on CBS. They had a commercial for Paramount Plus to advertise their shows on it. They featured a new Star Trek character prominently: Captain Pike.

I wonder why they chose him instead of Michael Burnham? Considering Discovery is such a massive hit, and it's lead character is so popular, it just seems strange.

Mechanoid1 likes this.
  7. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Probably because of Strange New Worlds.

Kzinti and TimeIsAPredator like this.
  8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I like PIC Season 1 better than DSC Season 3.

With Lower Decks, it's harder for me to compare because it has a different aim. But I would say, for what they're respectively trying to be, I rated LD S1 and DSC S3 roughly similar. Though I give the edge to Disco only because I'm a hardcore fan of it, whereas I'm not a fan (as in short for a "fanatic") of Lower Decks. I just watched LD and got a kick out of it.

So, I rank the seasons:
    PIC S1
    DSC S1
    DSC S2
    DSC S3
    LD S1

But don't read too much into that. I like all of them. It's just a matter of to what degree.

And I'm not a TNGer. So my rating PIC as high as I do means I think it got there on its own, without any sentimentality from me as a viewer. I thought it was actually that good. So call me impressed. I think what I liked most about it was seeing Picard in a different context. And, in a similar vein, I liked seeing Seven of Nine in a different context too. But this is the DSC Forum, not the PIC Forum, so I think I'll stop there. ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What new show is up and coming for CBS on All Access?

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably because they are ramping up production for the "Strange New Worlds" series, and it's next on the slate to receive prime promotion.

If you notice they only promote what's next in line. They're not promoting Jean-Luc Picard either, and it was big news when they got him to reprise his role for season one of Picard. That said, because of covid-19, production of everything done in Los Angeles is stalled, while production continues for shows filming in Canada.

I wasn't a big fan of Discovery season 3; but I got to admit the people trying to find reasons to say it's a big failure (after three seasons with a fourth being filmed right now, and with a consistently being in most top 10 lists of most viewed streaming series whenever it's airing new episodes.)

I get it a lot of people don't like it - but to constantly try and claim it's a failure when it isn't? Please.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The reason might simply be because Pike's costume looks more like the classic TOS uniform and thus is more likely to make people think of Star Trek than the blue or grey Disco uniforms.

Spock was in the same commercial, also in uniform.

12. johnjm22

For anyone who didn't see what I was referring to:

NCC-73515 likes this.
  13. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

New show to push, classic uniforms, Spock and if you want to be cynical 2 white men for the target NFL audience

Skywalker likes this.
  14. nic3636

nic3636 Captain Captain

I thought S3 started out with a lot of promise and had some highlights, but ultimately was underwhelming. And boy was that series finale a train wreck. I will say the character development did take a step in the right direction. Overall it seemed like a missed opportunity to do some interesting world building. They did it a little bit with Vulcan, Trill, and Earth, but not as much as I was hoping for.

The other problem the show has is that the writers seem hellbent on forcing Burnham into the center of everything and as a character she is just not interesting enough to lead a series.

15. fireproof78

The show has always been about Burnham. That ain't changing any time soon.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Oh God, are we back to that again? :lol:

PiotrB likes this.
  17. fireproof78

It's like if I complained about watching TOS and how annoying it was that Kirk was so front and center! What an asshole to constantly be in the show!

SJGardner, PiotrB and F. King Daniel like this.
  18. nic3636

nic3636 Captain Captain

I don't think it's unfair to have some standards for your lead character. It's like, I wouldn't watch a show with Bashir as the main character, but I might if the lead was Garak. In other words, I'm not saying I have a problem with the show revolving so much around a single person, I'm just saying I don't think that person is compelling enough to carry a series.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  19. fireproof78

I'm not disagreeing with not finding the main character compelling. I am stating that Discovery's main character is Michael Burnham and expecting the show to not have her front and center is unreasonable, at best.

SJGardner, PiotrB and antinoos like this.
  20. nic3636

nic3636 Captain Captain

That's fair, I just think it limits the potential of the show and squeezes out the development of other characters. I get she's the main character and is inherently going to have a lot of screen time. But that doesn't mean every single episode has to revolve around her. I mean it's at the point where most of the bridge barely talks (though that has gotten a little better recently).