Discovery and "The Orville" Comparisons

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jedi_Master, May 18, 2017.

1. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait, that's the upside!

2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s the first new Star Trek show in a long time...even if fans hate it, they are gonna want to talk about in. ‘Fan’ does not mean ‘someone who totally likes somethin’ It’s a abbreviation of fanatic. In sports terms, some of us do t like the new Team line up, and we are gonna want to talk about that, because we are fans of the team and it’s history. We are gonna debate, criticise, praise, insult, and care when it wins or loses. We are fans, not cult adherents,not a political party. People can use strange polarised nonsense words like’haters’, but it’s not that kind of a thing. People care about Trek. *shrug* what you gonna do?

Wyse likes this.
  3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

My guess? It's a stylistic choice to help cover for how fast they had to (re)do all the VFX after the in-house team was scrapped. You can't see cheap textures and low-res models when you can't tell what you're looking at!

David cgc and Hey Missy like this.
  4. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

Everything else on Discovery looks great but those exterior shots are horrible. :(

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'll get better.

6. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm definitely hoping for a reverse-Battlestar Galactica where the the lighting becomes more gritty and bland and less figurative as the show goes on. Though, in that case, there were valid thematic reasons for space going from being realistic to the edge of sterility to borderline-Babylon 5-colorful over the four seasons.

7. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope that BSG style shaky cam and zoom in on ships during space battles end. That's so annoying.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That, unfortunately, seems to be a byproduct of current production styles. I blame George Lucas ;)

9. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I blame Ds9 xD

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Watch the original 1968 PLANET OF THE APES again. The opening spaceship crash is all shaky, disorienting camera shops--and very effective, too.

11. ITDUDE

So your logic is The Orville is scored higher because it is NOT Star Trek, and STD is scored lower BECAUSE it is Star Trek?
    Since when is having Star Trek in the name considered bad for the show?

12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with The Habs Fan. If a new Star Trek series regularly featured crude humor, inept crew behavior, and a subplot about an ex-spouse as an executive officer, the Trek fans would be going out of their fucking minds with hatred right now.

I like Orville, but there's no doubt in my mind that, because of its approach, isolating it away from the Trek franchise has contributed to its success.

13. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Orville doesn't have to deal with a 50 year legacy and a rabid fanbase with unrealistic expectations either. I feel like i've said this a lot recently, but Discovery can't win. It tries to do something different, it's considered 'not star trek'. It uses similar themes seen in previous episodes and it's unoriginal and copying stories that came before it.

14. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Star Trek has a lot of baggage. It doesn't matter how the show turns out, certain fans will bitch about a lot, especially if it's a new element. Same with Star Wars.

15. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

You know, it might work if they did it well. Just a thought.

BillJ likes this.
  16. ITDUDE

This thread is awesome. I was away for about a week and now only on page 125 and have to catch up. Let's keep this thread going for as long as there is both STD and The Orville around. So atleast another year and half :beer:

17. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whether Discovery is doing well or not is subjective. There are some people who think it is doing things well, and others who don't. Just like every other Star Trek series. Your opinion is not the be all and end all.

Borgminister likes this.
  18. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I started watching Orville this weekend. I really like it. Oddly enough, in spite of the zaniness, it feels like classic Trek. It's FUN!

The husband and I are watching it together. He's not a fan of Trek past TOS (he'll grudgingly accept some of DS9) but he feels the same way; that this is more like Trek than any of the modern Trek.

Don't get me wrong; I like Discovery. But Discovery is dark in looks and tone. It's not "fun." I know, war and such, but even DS9 during its war arc had fun and lightheartedness. Not really seeing it yet in Discovery.

P.S. I somehow missed DVRing 3 eps, dammit. Why the hell isn't this on Netflix? I already have it and CBS All Access; fucked if I'm paying for Hulu too. Damned Ferengi.

BillJ and Phoenix219 like this.
  19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Firefly? Really? You didn't mean in terms of quality, did you? The Orville reminds me of just how far it is from Firefly. I mean, generally speaking, Orv is similar to Firefly in that both are sci fi shows with a comedic bent. However, any comparisons beyond that are unfair to Orv.

First of all, the acting in Firefly was SO much better. Those actors could do comedy like they specialized in that type of acting, except that they did drama just as well. The acting on Orv is as pedestrian as it gets. Orv actors competently read their lines but that is about the depth of it. As for the writing, it's Joss Whedon and his staff compared to Seth and Brannon and the rest of the Orv team. Nothing more need be said.

BTW, now that I'm on the subject, the acting on DSC is also light years ahead of the acting on Orv. The only exceptions, IMO, might be Adrianne Palicki and Penny Johnson. Jason Isaaks, Doug Jones, Anthony Rapp, Mary Chieff, Mary Wiseman, are all hitting it out of the park on DSC regularly. Even SM-G, who is new to the genre, would instantly become one of the best actors in the Orv cast if she were on that show.

Firefly is the standard to which Orv should strive, and might I add, good luck to them in this regard. Galaxyquest is probably a more attainable goal.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Search4 likes this.
  20. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

"More Like Trek".
    Can't figure that one out. Trek means different things to different people--it's a big umbrella.

Greg Cox and Agony_Boothb like this.