Discovery 8/10 info dump thread...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Overgeeked, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

The Vulcanian Expedition perhaps?

SiddFinch1 likes this.
  2. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tarsus IV?

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

wayoung likes this.
  4. wayoung

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Whoops, sorry, just the question mark after I mentioned it, thought I'd confused someone.

wayoung likes this.
  6. wayoung

Totally understandable. I didn't see your earlier post suggesting it.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It would be an interesting idea. Having the Discovery be the ship sent to respond to the distress call, being an older ship it takes her a while to get there.

They arrive to aid the survivors of the massacre, including a teenage Kirk.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Quick note about the ads. I imagine that CBS will offer a "premium" ad-free service for a few bucks more a month.

9. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Overall, I'm very excited about the new series. And, TOS, to this day, is still my favorite ST series. I love everything about that show. So, having the ability to play those elements and characters sounds fantastic to me.

However, surprisingly, I have a few mixed feelings about this series as described. I'm very surprised that it's a prequel. While I know that good writers can fit exciting new stories within an existing timeline, it still creates some constraints as to what they can do. No matter what happens, at the end of the day, everything must reset so that TOS happens as we see it. That imposes some limitations.

Why not move forward in the timeline. Move far enough beyond Nemesis that it's essentially a new setting but with some familiar elements. They're then free to do pretty much whatever they want without having to reset it?

I'm mostly excited about what I've heard . . . just surprised about the prequel or midquel aspect to it.

Mr Awe

10. Mr Awe

I'd like it to be set post-Nemesis, but not linked to Nemesis. It's more about seeing what lies ahead than revisiting Nemesis. I'm still excited about the series as described. It'll be great to have a new Trek series!

Mr Awe

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not if it's a decade before TOS. Kirk would have been in his 20s in the 2250s, as anyone who has seen the Abrams movies should know. Tarsus IV was during his childhood.

12. Mr Awe

Wow, Dennis, you're getting ruder by the day. That was uncalled for. If you don't like Trek fans, why do you hang out with us?

Mr Awe

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  13. Mr Awe

Except for the fact that it is a prequel, or midquel. They writer's can write great stories, but ultimately any cold war tension would be lessened by the fact that it all has to be reset so that TOS can play out as we've seen it. That's why I'd rather that something take place post-Nemesis. But, still very much looking forward to this series!

Mr Awe

14. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Source?

15. Campe

I still feel like we know next to nothing about this show. There are some aspects I could find potentially interesting, but just "Oooooh, Star Trek! Prime Universe! Ten years before Kirk! Female of color lead! She's not a Captain! Lots of aliens! Ship based on McQuarrie!" It's all a lot of noise. But what's the meat and bones? Its really hard for me to get excited about this as it just seems to be all window dressing at this point.

wayoung likes this.
  16. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Simply going on the basis of Fuller retweeting this image, I think the first season will have something to do with Klingons, perhaps illustrating the end of the Four Year War or the Battle of Axanar or whatever the hell it's called.

[​IMG]

Meyer did say The Undiscovered Country was some kind of "touchstone" for DSC.

17. Campe

GOD, I hope its not the Klingon Wars -- whatever the hell those are. (I thought there was nothing but a cold war pre-TOS).

18. wayoung

Kirk is what, 32 in the first season of TOS? 13, 14 years back makes him a teenager. Close enough. I wouldn't take the 10 years comment as stating it took exactly ten years prior to WNMHGB.

19. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Window dressing, I mean lingerie, can be VERY exciting. :)

20. Campe

I typically find what's under the lingerie far more exciting. :p