Discoprise won't have TOS "cardboard sets"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I like The Orville. So, that's exactly how I meant it. It's fun and interesting.

I like Discovery for other reasons. It doesn't need to be fun in the same sense as The Orville. If anything, I'd say that Discovery needs to learn from The Expanse a bit--but not be a clone of that either. But, no, I don't think Discovery should strive to be more like The Orville. That wouldn't work.

2. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I love DSC and I'm excited for the new season, but ugh, this was poorly phrased.

3. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If that's the control room for a brewery, then maybe Star Trek could film there.

4. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't get what's supposed to be anachronistic about flip communicators or viewscreens? :shrug:
    One is a commincation device that can work alone, without a commincation tower network, into space!!! And as long as people will have computers (they will for a long time), a "viewscreen" will always be the best way to access information.

Hell, a real life starship bridge in 300 years will probably have a good, old paper printer on it. In this regard TOS is probably still more on the money than every new iteration of Trek since then - they had one!

(You're not wrong about anachronisms! The clunky data-tapes that store almost no information are a good example. I just don't get why you chose THESE particular things as examples - because they are IMO the most likely to actually become true exactly as envisioned!)

DS9-31 and jaime like this.
  5. Mr Awe

^ Clearly, you're not familiar with the direct brain image transmissions that will be invented in about 50 years. No screen and no holograms are necessary. It's all in your brain! Now, what comes after that is where it starts to get strange!

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't say that it was a start over scenario. Simply that there are other factors that might have impacted technological development.

Regardless, I enjoy both TOS and Discovery's takes on the tech.
    You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy ;)

7. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

This is one of the biggest challenges facing Trek: the end for endless novelty. Plenty of Trek stuff is still way, way beyond us, such as the transporter and warp drive, but that's all taken for granted, so the show has to come up with superficial ways to look "futuristic." That's particularly problematic when the franchise doubles down on its own past.

jaime and Rahul like this.
  8. Mr Awe

Well, obviously, I was referring to the very first version. :) As for paper, who needs that with brain implants that store perfect 4D (not a typo) replicas of everything you need?! And that's for biologicals that weren't replaced by AIs already (aka antiques!)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  9. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

They will build an actual working starship! Just to show off how far TV has come since TOS!

BillJ and Lord Garth like this.
  10. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to dream of finding the real enterprise D in orbit waiting to beam me up when I was a kid. Quite literally dream of that.
    Sadly kids don’t get to have Trek anymore, now it’s all squick.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

This is actually part of why I think the movies should come out more than every four years. To you and me, four years is nothing. But to a child? Four years is half or a third of their life. To a teenager, it's the difference between being a freshman in high school and a freshman in college. It's too long.

Hopefully, they make the new cartoon.

jaime, Jesse1066 and BillJ like this.
  12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I had the same dream, though mine was the TOS Enterprise. Some days, I still look to the skies. :techman:

Nerys Myk and Mr Awe like this.
  13. Mr Awe

Mine too! :)

14. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Every time I watch fireworks, I do the “My God, Bones, what have I done” exchange. :lol:

Nerys Myk and BillJ like this.
  15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

It would have been better to keep DSC and the new shops as is, and leave the Constitution class ships looking as it did.

Phoenix219 and CaptainMurdock like this.
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They would have stood out like a sore thumb, no.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    ozzfloyd likes this.
  17. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

That was the point, but maybe only I have this view?

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  18. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Pretty much. I got into Trek at the age of seven in 1994 via the first six films. After watching the movies, it was quite exciting to learn later in the year that there was going to be a brand new Trek film out, and that it would feature both Kirk AND Picard. Say what you will of the TNG films, but for a kid it was always exciting to have a new Trek film every two years, most of them occurring during grade school.

It's not surprising that nuTrek lost that momentum waiting too long for the first sequel.

jaime likes this.
  19. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait, what?? You're telling me that Discovery ISN'T an actual working starship???

*falls to knees and wails, charlton heston in the planet of the apes style*

Jinn likes this.
  20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

"Damn You!!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!"

[​IMG]

Agony_Boothb likes this.