Disco Season 3, "Genesis II", and "Andromeda"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I haven't (re-)watched any more of Andromeda since those first two episodes about a month ago. But what the heck? Might as well give it a go. Who knows what we'll find?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  2. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Found it on Amazon Prime US. Starting it up right now.

Also, just noticed Robert Hewitt Wolfe (DS9) was the developer of the show for the first season.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Lord Garth likes this.
  3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Please get back to us when you have finished a few episodes. Love hearing what other people think of this show.

guyute03 likes this.
  4. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The more creative control Sorbo got, the weirder things got. YMMV.

5. Gingerbread Demon

Exactly. Yet despite that I don't mind all the seasons to a degree. Season 1 and 2 are my favourites.

6. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3 episodes in and enjoying it. Getting a late 90's Sci Fi TV vibe and I miss those days dearly. Definitely see how Discovery could do something similar to this in season 3, and am curious where this show goes with the idea of a fallen "Federation".

7. Gingerbread Demon

That is IF they go down that path. Most of what people are saying is speculation.

guyute03 and Lord Garth like this.
  8. Lord Garth

I'm an insomniac. I hate this. But, luckily, that means I'll be putting on the third episode of Andromeda. At some point I have to get back to finishing the Genesis II pilot. Anyway, onto Andromeda!

"To Lose the Fateful Lightning" looks to me so far like a cross between "Miri" (TOS) and Lord of the Flies.

It's horrible that when they run into these kids, the oldest one looks 20. Then Dylan Hunt asks, "Where are the adults? The people my age?" Horrible because in the time since this aired, I've gone from the oldest kids' age to almost Dylan's age. :p

They have "Scriptures" that the kids can't read and "Codes of the Past" that Dylan can unlock. To put it in "Calypso" terms: "Codes of the Past" can just as easily be "Codes from the Long Ago Time". Stuff that Dylan Hunt knows that everyone else doesn't. Or, on DSC, stuff the Discovery crew knows that everyone else doesn't.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  9. Gingerbread Demon

Thank you....... For years I've been thinking this episode was just like TOS Miri... I thought maybe I was dreaming that bit. It really does though doesn't it?

Lord Garth likes this.
  10. Lord Garth

Yup. They just changed dying at the onset of puberty to dying at the onset of adulthood. Nassan reminds me of Miri. And at the end of both episodes, the kids try to fight Kirk and Hunt.

These kids in "To Lose the Fateful Lightning" also have a distorted sense of the ways of the Commonwealth because they can't read. So what was passed down was passed down through word-of-mouth. And anything that gets passed down through word of mouth gets distorted over time.

It wouldn't surprise me if something like that happened in the third season of Discovery where records are fragmentary, creating a distorted view of the Long Ago Time.

It would also give them cover if future Star Trek series do something that don't line up with the rest of Discovery because the characters from DSC S3 on might not have all their facts straight.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

What? Because they listed Johnathan Archer as one of the 'greatest' Federation Starship Captains, and referenced ENT S4 - "In A Mirror Darkly" elements in a quick discussion about how to return from the Mirror Universe? <--- That's hardly:
    IMO.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quickly referenced? Finding the USS Defiant was their Plan A to return when they got to the Mirror Universe! When they got to the palace ship, they were trying to get access to logs of "In a Mirror, Darkly", which they eventually get and realise it's a dead end.
    They also went into some detail about "Broken Bow" when speaking about jumping to Kronos at the end of the season.

13. Noname Given

Oh, ok, so they referenced minute from TWO ENT episodes instead of one. And yes, they still were quick references.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The plot of an episode was to find the Defiant from "In a Mirror, Darkly"! That's why they were on the palace ship. That's WAY more than a "quick reference"

15. Noname Given

Actually, the way they talked about it, one could claim they referenced TOS S3 - "The Tholian Web" too; but in the end, yes, it's HORRIBLE that a Star Trek series reference previous episodes of other Star Trek series, I mean what? They expect us to believe all these characters exist in the same Universe...THE HORROR!...oh, wait...

Man, when they don't reference some point of canon that some fan thinks in inviolate, the writers get lambasted. When they DO reference canon, they get accused of 'fan service'; and still get lambasted - damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    serabine and Lord Garth like this.
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise takes place before Discovery, it's about the only series that could reference at the time, outside of 'The Cage', and events mentioned in other series that happened before DSC.

I'm not seeing the issue with referencing Enterprise. It happened in the lore, why shouldn't they reference it?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Greg Cox likes this.
  17. Lord Garth

Actual non-fan of Enterprise here. If anyone of us should have an issue with the references, it's me. And I'm not bothered by them referring to ENT.

Besides that, wanting to find the Defiant was a reason to make Burnhman, Tyler, Tilly, and Lorca head for the ISS Shenzhou. After the Shenzhou runs into the Charon and Emperor Georgiou finds out Burnham's from the Prime Universe, she immediately tells her going to the Defiant is a waste of time. Which is fine, because the story wasn't about finding the Defiant. The story was about getting Burnham onto the Shenzhou so Georgiou could wonder what was going on.

And since "In the Mirror Darkly" was already being referenced, you might as well have Georgiou know about it so Burnham doesn't have to go through the motions of explaining the Prime Universe to her. It saves the episode time and it saves us the time of watching Burnham explain the Prime Universe to her. Anyway, if Georgiou didn't already know about alternate universes, I doubt she would've believed Burnham, which means they'd never team up to fight Lorca.

NewHeavensNewEarth and serabine like this.
  18. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

The wrong person gets ahold of that time travel technology, and that entire advanced Federation blinks out of existance instantly.

19. Gingerbread Demon

The thing with the Federation falling is that well no institution lasts forever and eventually cracks start to happen. Nothing lasts forever.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I remember loving "Genesis II" back in the day.

Mind you, I was only thirteen at the time . . ...