Digital comics are they worth it ? disscussion and comments:

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is changing the business model, companies need to adapt. If they do go all digital they just need to be in a universal format all the readers can read them in. It also saves comic book companies money, since they don't have the cost of printing the books, or shipping them.

-Chris

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think that I'll finally be entering the eReader/tablet world next year now that the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet will be available. DC going to the Kindle and Marvel to the Nook is annoying, though. My decision on which device to choose will be based in part on which comics I'd rather go with.

I prefer Marvel overall, but I'm more interested in their past issues than I am in current ones. I think read more Vertigo than either mainstream DC or Marvel, so the Kindle would probably be better for me, but it would also depend on the availability of Dark Horse and Image comics.

I don't really know how the digital comics system works; does Comixology offer comics from Dark Horse and Image? Will Comixology be supported on both devices?

3. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Comixology does have Image comics. Pretty much how I keep up with Walking Dead and Invincible. Dark Horse has it's own app. Comixology has an android app, so it should be supported on both devices.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I was mostly wondering about Image because of Invincible. I've been buying it in trades, but once I buy one device or the other I'm probably going to start buying more individual issues digitally, mainly because I'm running out of space on my bookshelves and TPBs take up a lot of it. :lol:

5. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well good new is that the nc and nc2 will support comixology and digital darkhorse. which mean for dc fans and nc owners can go through comixology to read dc comics.

jd on comixology would you happen to know the proper x-men reading order?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure, but not yet. It's probably gonna be a while before I get to reading any of them and I don't want to have to search back through days or weeks worth of posts.

7. timothy

I think I stoped shortly before house of M and jean's death but I don't know the name of that story arc so I am staring with:

• House of M
    • Decimation
    • endangered species
    • messiah complex
    • divided we stand
    • legacy
    • young x-men
    • manifest destiny
    • x-Infernus
    • Messiah war
    • Utopia
    • Nation X
    • Necrosha
    please let me know if I am missing any thing, all so not sure were wolverine,x 23,cable or x-force goes with any of these and especially the new mutants.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^I would add Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run to that list.

The "Gifted" and "Dangerous" arcs take place before House of M and "Torn" and "Dangerous" take place afterward.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jean was killed at the end of Grant Morrison's New X-Men run in 2003. House of M took place in 2005. That's a pretty good list you have, somewhat update to date.

10. timothy

excellent because I am getting nc2 later on and I plan to get back into the x-men universe and it looks like on comixology they are up to date.

now for x-men titles let see if I have this right and you guys can correct me if miss anything:

• uncanny x-men
    • wolverine and the x-men
    • astonishing x-men
    • cable and deadpool
    • uncanny x-force
    • wolverine
    • the new mutants

11. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'm not talking about going digital. Yes, I agree it's the way of the future (although I have yet to read a digital comic from DC or Marvel directly that's better quality than some of the ones I've illegally downloaded, but that's another conversation). I'm talking about the exclusiveness. If I want to read DC digital comics and Marvel digital comics on a tablet, I have to get a kindle fire and a nook. These exclusive wars aren't actually helping the comic book industry. You know how successful itunes would have been if you could only listen to itunes music on your ipod or that your ipod would only play itunes music? Not at all. And comics are a much more niche industry. If comics aren't easy to access, it's not going to matter who's on top of the sales chart because the whole industry will die.

12. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

The comixology app has Marvel, DC and Image. Almost one-stop shopping right there. The only real shame is that android hasn't gotten the new update that iOS has gotten for comixology. It organizes my (now) lengthy collection much better.

13. timothy

comixology is an awesome web site for digital comics and it just keeps getting better all the time. and this will bring in new reader to comics. and let people try anything from marvel & dc to image and Boom studios. I just wish they would get around to adding powers onto the image area all ready.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh now Barnes and Nobels puts comics on the nook after I get an Ipad :scream:

Oh well I'll probably just stick to getting comics on the Ipad and books on the nook color.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you mean the Brian Michael Bendis, superheroes and cops, Powers? They have up to Volume 2 #34, from December 2010 under Icon.

Does anyone know if there would be any chance of the new Dark Crystal and Storyteller graphic novels going digital? I haven't seen very many full length graphic novels available digitally. I'm a huge Henson fan and I'm really looking forward to these, but I'd really rather do them digitally if it was possible.

16. timothy

yep I found it thanks for the help on that.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When it comes to Marvel's big events, like Secret Invasion or Civil War, could I just read the specific characters issues as I work my way through their series, or would it be be better to wait and read the whole thing at one time?

18. timothy

good question. when inifinty guantlet first came I only read those issues and my main titles and was okay with. when the second infinity war came out I read every thing and enjoyed it. now with what is currently going on I don't like I missed out on cival war and everything that preceded it. but that will change next year.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like I said in the New 52 thread, I've decided to start working through more of the older stuff on Comixology, and I got back to it today I picking up Batman: A Death In The Family. I read the first issue today and I enjoyed it. It wasn't anything mindblowing, but it was a very solid start. The dialouge was pretty good, and while it's a little older fashioned than what I'm used I also liked the art. The big thing in this was that this was my first exposure to the comics version of The Joker, and I have to admit I fairly quickly fell into hearing Mark Hamil's voice for the Joker. Even though I know the Jason's final fate, I am still curious to see what happens in his quest for his birth, and I'm also curious where the Joker story is headed. MY RATING: 8/10

20. timothy

that's what I intend to do with the x-men start over from the begining. I know I can go from #1-25 but where to go from there is my question. all so started reading stephen king's dark tower series now.