Did Gene Roddenberry make a mistake in Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by James Wright, May 28, 2021.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah and those Klingons just vanish when shot, they don’t fall over or anything. In TNG era they would have in most cases

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why? What would be the difference. Replicator. Synthesizer. Fabricator. Or even transporter. They're probably all based on the same matter energy transformation technology. Holodecks too.

3. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Only one of those would be using matter energy transformation technology. Others would be fabricating, like a 3D printer, or using food cubes and dehydration and whatever else, mixing up the raw ingredients, synthesizing, whatever - only replicators would imply magic transporter tech. The rest would be much more basic, and most likely based entirely on physical properties as opposed to energy manipulation.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Or not.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Characters fall over in videogames today, I have no doubt it's within the skillset of 23rd century animators

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Only a short time after the success of ST IV, TNG was greenlit. In the first episode, Beverly Crusher says to a Bandi trader on Farpoint Station, re some material: "I'll take the whole bolt. Charge it to Dr Crusher."

Although Roddenberry's input into ST IV was minimal, it was very strong at the beginning of TNG, along with input from David Gerrold (who wrote much of the Writers' Bible) and DC Fontana, who wrote the episode (into which Roddenberry grafted the Q arc).

BK613 and Tim Thomason like this.
  7. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

But it's useless in a training exercise.

8. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Getting back on trek, I'm assuming that the Holographic Battle Simulation was simple target practice and reaction gauging. Having the Holo-Klingons fall to the ground and writhe in agony and fake death throes was unnecessary to the program. It probably could if they programmed it too, but that's not what Lorca and Tyler were practicing towards.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

TNG was announced publicly over a month before the TVH premiere - October 10 for TNG, November 26 for TVH.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  11. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

having no money in Star Trek is definitely not a mistake.

TOS really didn't say there was no money and Kirk's comment in ST:IV was just a joke.

Now TNG, despite Crusher making a purchase in "Farpoint", did pretty much say there is no money in the Federation and this was not a mistake, it probably contributed to the sucess of the show.

The implication of there being no money in the Federation is that you can have anything you want for free and you don't have to actually work for a living to get them. I would think this alone would attract quite a lot of fans.

Robert

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever else may or may not have contributed to Star Trek's popularity, the fact it depicts a moneyless society was not it.

13. Swedish Borg

It's possible that you get privileges according to your rank in society and your merits (based on a set of rules and may be confirmed by committee) so that if you do not work and contribute nothing you'll have the strict minimum, plus you won't get much esteem from the other citizens. Peer pressure can do a lot of things... Because of it, the samurai inflict upon themselves a horrible death when they are dishonored.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it.

Vger23 likes this.
  15. Swedish Borg

Well, we'll never know.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Actually, I know. The answer is that it did not contribute.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  17. Swedish Borg

I suppose you have evidence.

18. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

Not even a little bit?

I was being only half serious but it sure seems to me that for at least a few people, it's one of the things they like about the show. Not the only reason, but one of the reasons.

Robert

19. Swedish Borg

I've seen many an interview where the actors talk about Gene's Vision of the future and they seem to be at least partially convinced by it (although I wouldn't bet my last shirt that it is sincere).

20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Mistakes Gene Roddenberry made in Star Trek:
    • Pike's line about, "I just can't get used to having a woman on the bridge" in "The Cage".
    • "[The Orion Slave Girls] actually like being taken advantage of," also in "The Cage".
    • Pulling a horrible prank on John DF Black mid-way through the first season of TOS.
    • Obsessing over Teri Garr's hemline in "Assignment: Earth".
    • Stepping away from the day-to-day activities during the third season of TOS.
    • Not finding a more diplomatic way of handling when Fred Freiberger put him on the spot about, "Who's the star? Leonard or Bill?" He could've side-stepped the issue and said, "Both."
    • Taking credit for creating things that other people did.
    • Constantly shoving the JFK story down Harve Bennett's throat during his tenure on the films.
    • Pulling that shit with trying to get DC Fontana's name taken off the writing credits for "Encounter at Farpoint".
    • Allowing Leonard Miazlish to overstep boundaries and become so involved with TNG during the first season.
    Those are 10 of the major ones.

Last edited: May 31, 2021