Did Enterprise have to grow on anyone else?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Danlav05, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seasons 1 and 2 were all a bit hit and miss for me. From season 3 onwards I really start loving the show. These days I rank it as my number two favourite Star Trek show, after DS9.

2. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

The Xindi war was not like WWI. Although important, it got overshadowed by a much longer one. I go into more detail in the post below.
    http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/enterprise-was-a-prequel.281868/page-4#post-11650558

3. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok its like ignoreing the Viking invasions of Britain.

The Norman conquests were the defining part of the formation of the kingdom of England but the preceding viking invasions left a big preceding impact.

Though overshadowed by the Norman conquests the vikings are still a integral and well discussed part of British history 1000 years on.

Now the a ttack on the scale of the Xindi and the resulting and lasting cultural impacts would still be discussed 100 years on under kirk or 200 years on i. The TNG.

Hell it would be like forgetting the 9/11 happend 100 years from now.

4. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  5. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It picks up from ep 15.

You should know the answer to that: according to the TOS episode Balance of Terror, no one from Earth saw a Romulan until years after the Romulan war ended (officially, anyway).
    One thing about real cataclysm and genocide is there's no one left to mourn. We remember wars because there were a lot of people at home to remember them. But if you simply annihilate a state or a country, most of the people who would mourn have also been killed.

6. iMike

iMike Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes and no. When ENT premiered I had grown up on TNG and DS9 via syndication. Even though I lived in a larger mid-western city I did not have UPN. I managed to catch most of VOY because a friend was gracious enough to tape it on VHS and mail the tapes to me. He sent me the episode "Broken Bow," but decided he did not like ENT so he quit taping it.

I first watched ENT in its entirety once the DVDs were released. I can't really say I liked it much, but once it came to Netflix a few years back I watched it again from start to finish and really developed an affinity for the series (minus the finale, of course). A lot of people criticize the first two seasons, and that's easy to do. By that point we had twenty-one seasons of TNG, DS9, and VOY to compare it to, but the first couple seasons of TNG were very rocky. I don't think TNG would have survived to seven seasons on a network, it's also conceivable that if the powers-that-be at UPN and had changed hands during the first few seasons of VOY that might have been cancelled as well. ENT definitely should have continued, and probably would have under different circumstances.

7. Kevin Thomas Riley

Kevin Thomas Riley Admiral Admiral

In Engineering singing "Kathleen" with T'Pol
    Yes, the show did grow on me. I recall it being aired where I live (Sweden) and liking it better than I had VOY, but not enough to get worked all up about when the season one cliffhanger came. Then came season two that was a let-down. But I did like the crew (especially Trip and T'Pol) and the time period, and coming to this BBS I learned that season three was a huge improvement. Alas, that's when Swedish TV bailed on the show. I did get to watch it anyway (don't ask) and that's when I became a real fan, even learning to appreciate some episodes of the first two seasons. And in season four I was in Trek nirvana. :rommie:

Anna Yolei likes this.
  8. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I hated ENT without ever giving it a chance back in the day. Now my name and avatar are taken from elements introduced in ENT. ENT is one my favorites in the Trek series, and I prefer it to the other space scifi show of that era (BSG).

9. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

As I mentioned above, I'm a late bloomer on Enterprise as well. Ironically, now that you mention it, I never thought about the two "competing" since they only overlapped as tv shows for a single year (2004-2005) and I had already long abandoned Enterprise. It does bring up an interesting comparison though in that I thought BSG started out really strong with a good mix of action and interpersonal drama for the first two seasons and ended up an overly dramatic space soap opera by the last two. I stuck with it though for the entirety because of those two strong initial seasons whereas the opposite happened IMO with Enterprise.

10. Kevin Thomas Riley

Kevin Thomas Riley Admiral Admiral

In Engineering singing "Kathleen" with T'Pol
    I recall that back in those days I wasn't that fond of nuBSG because a lot of people who hated ENT raved on about how good BSG was, especially when compared to ENT. But later I started to get into BSG more and really liking it on its own merits. Alas, as you say, it went downhill towards the end, especially after they left New Caprica. The show did manage to revisit some of its former greatness on occasion (the mutiny for example) but overall the latter part was a disappointment. And I try to pretend that the finale never happened (much like on ENT).
    So yes, a good first half and a disappointing latter half, the inverse of ENT.

11. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I liked it from the beginning, I was glad Trek was back on TV in a new format but hated the opening credits with 'that song'

12. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Hint the only nation that goes on about the Battle of Waterloo are the British, what does that tell ya. History is written by whoever dominates the culture.

13. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the aliens were really cool in BB. You know, the chameleon thing, the girls catching butterflies with their tongues and all that. I was disappointed that we didn't get more of the same in the following episodes. Some of them look really cheap in comparison. What happened?

14. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

Phlox's huge CGI enhanced grin in Broken Bow when he smiled at Archer made me do a double take when I saw it again this year with my rewatching/first watching of the series. I wish they stressed the "alienness" of Phlox and T'Pol a bit more as those were some of my favorite early episodes.

15. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have one more episode of season 3 left. It has picked up quite a bit, especially at the end as they delves more into the xindi fighting themselves but still isn't anywhere near a must see show. Now instead of being mind numbingly dull like season 2 it's fine time killing entertainment.

I don't understand the plot though. How are the Sphere makers part of the time travelling temporal cold war if they are defeated and stopped four hundred years after enterprise? Isn't that before the technology that allows the cold war is invented? Daniels is a thousand years in the future and future guy is something like 300 years before him and is using first ten temporal Cd war tech, which is why he can't actually go to the past, so how do the Sphere makers, defeated 300 years before future guy, have Daniels level future tech?

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Yeah the first 2 seasons of NuBSG were great. A lot of people, myself included, called NuBSG Voyager done right. Strapped for resources, in uncharted and hostile space, human beings just struggling to survive from conflicts from outside the ship and inside the ship. Then season 3 came and everything smash to pieces.

RDM has said in subsequent interviews and convention appearances that he likes to write kinetically (as he goes along). While the first 2 seasons were mapped out, season 3 and 4 he made up as he went along. Things like the identity of the final 5 cylons, Kara Thrace's destiny, the many changes to the cylons "plan", Earth being a nuclear wasteland, Hera being adopted by Gaius and 6, Boomer and Athena both rebelling against the other 10 models, there being no cylon "leader" (Brother Cavil was made the de facto leader) when originally the cylons were all equals, "All Along The Watchtower", the identity of "god", etc. All decided and retconned during season 3. Then we had the writers strike of 2008/2009, so season 4 trudged along with the direction set and there was nothing they could do but finish what they started.

Kevin Thomas Riley likes this.
  17. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems they are not from this universe exactly and are someplace where the laws of physics are somewhat different from here. The spheres change our universe to make it habitable to them, making it lethal to us. They can't stay in our (unchanged ) universe for long without dying as a result (they are like fish out of water). Anyway, their technology is not linked to that of our universe. Also it seems that space is at a premium in their universe and that's why they have to migrate to ours or eventually they'll die there. At least, that's how I understand it.

18. wayoung

I like Hoshi (and don't like Archer, but the following point is for both) but
    from a pure storytelling perspective they should have died in the season 3 finale instead of (well, along with) a character who had guest started in 5 episodes and a nameless MACO. Same issue with the episode where the Enterprise was wrecked - that was a very low casualty list for the ship being virtually destroyed. TV had already entered "the golden age" when Enterpise aired, it wasn't the 60's, or even mid 90's, anymore when the main cast always has to live. If a story develops to the point where a character should die, they should die. Fuller doesn't have that hang up, so it should be interesting to see what happens in discovery.

Imo of course.

19. Willow

Willow Captain Captain

I agree with your spoiler. It would have worked also if Reed or Trip didn't make it either. I've always believed that Trip's death would have made more sense in Season 3 rather than TATV.

20. wayoung

I don't know if spoiler tags are needed since it's been a decade and we're talking theoreticals but just in case I'll use them.

I think it had to be Archer in order to come full circle for his "sins" in season three. I said Hoshi as well because of her medical condition, and it making sense that since she translated the code she would die fixing it, but if the couple of episodes prior had went differently any of the main cast could have replaced her. Reid has created certain death so many times that he deserved to go, but it might have felt cheap, like if Glen dies in TWD premier after his death cheats. Tucker, T'Pol, Travis, Phlox all would have worked with the right set up.

Willow likes this.