Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

yeah....I know...but I can't stand STO.
    I'll likely just do what ever I want and if they like then they like it.

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have I ever told you that I love you?

Because I do.

3. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nevermind the rest of your projects, I LOVED that Titan design! :drool:
    FWIW, you'd get my vote for sure.

4. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been mulling it over. My Titan design was a very sleek and organic shape, even more so than the Grandeur. Hard to say if it would fit with the general STO design aesthetic. Still, seems to me that an Enterprise ought to stand out from the crowd a bit.

I'll be giving it some more thought. In the mean time, I gotta get some Grandeur updates posted. ;)

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been too long, so I don't remember exactly what your Titan design looked like! :( Got any pics online of it?

6. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Think of it as though you are a professional working for ILM or Zoic or something, and those STO guys are paying you sh*tloads of money to design a new Enterprise for "STO: The Motion Picture" or something. They have given you a free hand, but only ask that it looks like an Enterprise, and that it fits in their STO world. What would you do?

Capt. Kirk: Couldn't you build some form of computer aid here?
    Spock: [raising an eyebrow to show lofty disdain] In this zinc-plated, vacuum-tubed culture?
    Capt. Kirk: [craftily] Yes, well, it would pose an extremely complex problem in logic, Mister Spock.
    [Spock raises an eyebrow as though recognizing an insult; Kirk turns away to crouch before the fire]
    Capt. Kirk: Excuse me. I sometimes expect too much of you.

7. Vektor

None of that stuff is online anymore. I'll have to dredge it out of the archives. Maybe later tonight.

8. Vektor

Okay, for those who are interested, here's a flashback to my never-finished entry for the USS Titan contest:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, rather than completely hijack the thread, here are links to the original WIP images:

Wip001
    Wip002
    Wip003
    Wip004
    Wip005
    Wip006
    Wip007
    Wip008

I think there are some good bones to work on here and that I may be able to adapt it into a new STO Enterprise.

9. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was an interesting departure from the usual designs, although the front of the saucer is too close to the Grandeur.

10. Vektor

I'm not sure of the exact timeline but those features on my Titan design may actually predate their incorporation into the Grandeur. Regardless, I probably would not use them on a new Enterprise.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Funny... some angles remind me of the NX-01 while others make me think of the Akira.

But it's a much better design than either of them. :techman:

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Vektor, I remember seeing your Titan design way back when! I really loved the organic look of it a lot and admired the details you put into it. It's good seeing it again.
    :techman:

Okay, gushing over...
    :shifty:

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, I remember it now! Thanks for showing us, Vector!

14. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It should fit in quite well with STO for a couple of reasons.

1: STO's main higher tier cruiser designs look like the following:

http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/avenger

http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/vanguard

http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/emissary

2: A part of the reason for a new Enterprise was to design a new ship that would bridge the gap between the Enterprise-E and the J. Your design certainly has quite a few elements already in place for that.

15. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Them is some ugly ships, man.

16. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

The thing I liked about the final Titan design is that it didn't seem to be trying to act like the newest flag ship.
    It was designed as what I saw as a 'basic' starship built like the original Connie in that it's ready for anything and built for practicality. It can of course still look good, but not like it's trying really hard to be beautiful for the sake of beauty.

17. Vektor

I agree about the winning Titan design, that it was, in a way, nicely unpretentious. However, I was a little disappointed that it didn't vary further from the established templates, especially given that the non-human aesthetics of its alien designer were part of the design criteria for the contest.

18. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I was big time disappointed that it was more of an Akira Variant. Akira was pre-Galaxy Class. I also thought the "new Sensor array" was to be something a bit more obvious and not what we've seen before.

But there is no doubt that even though it doesn't live up to my expectations...it's a Good Design. Not every design has to be sexy and attractive in every way.

Indeed.

19. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Some of you may arch your eyebrows in a Spock-like manner for me saying this, but I don't think the Star Trek On-Line ships suck 100% completely.

Their proportions are a bit... odd, and sometimes graceless. But there are some previously unexplored ideas being toyed with there.

Young minds, fresh ideas, I want to be tolerant.

20. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^I think their only good ideas are in their Star Cruisers. The proportions need more work, but it's one of the few designs that are elegant and suggests a design more advanced than the Sovereign Class.