DESIGN NEWS: Geoffrey Mandel

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by DEWLine, Nov 24, 2020.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's announced publicly on Facebook that he's been hired on as part of the design team for season two.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

God I hope they let him design the Enterprise-F.

saddestmoon and Lord Garth like this.
  3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Excellent news! :techman:

4. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

This is great news. Love that guy's work! And love that his basic setup for interstellar cartography from Star Trek: Star Charts has been de facto canonized by the new productions.

This is totally subjective, but I hope the Enterprise-E is still out there under new command. But I'd love to see him design some 2390s starships as companions to the Inquiry class. :bolian:

Markonian and kirk55555 like this.
  5. DEWLine

Seconding your preference for the Enterprise-E for Picard's purposes, @Sci.

What I'd like to see in next season's graphic design easter eggs includes a sense of how much further afield the Federation's been able to go since the end of VOY.

6. Firebird

Firebird Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Doesn't the Picard prequel novel establish that Worf is the new Captain of the Enterprise?

Lorcan Kelly and NCC-73515 like this.
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be shocked if we see the Enterprise-E in Picard in anything that's not a flashback. I still think if we see the Enterprise in the "present", it's going to be the F.

If nothing else, they'll make a killing off of selling new Enterprise-F model kits. They don't think of it as the Enterprise. They think of it as the Enterpri$e.

saddestmoon and Danja like this.
  8. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

I was under the impression that The Last Best Hope establishes that Worf became captain after Picard left in 2381, but I don't remember hearing anything about whether or not it establishes who is captain of the Enterprise (or if the Enterprise-E is still in service) in 2399.

Ronald Held and Lorcan Kelly like this.
  9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

Why? Isn't he a more of a graphics guy? I don't recall a single ship design by him.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't he the guy who was removed from the 2009 Trek staff because when JJ Abrams wanted a size comparison chart he came back with one of all Trek ships, which meant nothing to JJ? Or so the anecdote (I think from Doug Drexler?) goes. Or my butchery of it 11 years later.

Got loads of his official and unofficial Trek books, he definitely knows his stuff.

penguin44 and publiusr like this.
  12. Markonian

Markonian Commodore Commodore

Imagine, this might in the long-run lead to Star Charts-A, the way the Okudas got to update the Encyclopedia.

13. DEWLine

The 20th anniversary of Star Charts' original publication is coming up.

Ronald Held likes this.
  14. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We already have an Enterprise F, Odyssey class:

[​IMG]

Personally, I would love to see the Odyssey class canonized on screen.

15. Dukhat

On his website he has artwork of the Abramsprise and shuttles, and they look far more TOS-esque than what we eventually got. That shows that he understands the concept of period-specific designs, more so than, say, John Eaves does.

That’s a currently non-canon design developed for a decade old video game that 1% of the Star Trek viewing audience plays. I sincerely hope that the designers for the show come up with something a lot better than that.

16. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know it is not canon. But I would be ok if they made it canon. I personally like the Odyssey class.

I am sure Eaves or Drexler could come up with an amazing Enterprise F design. But considering how terrible the Inquiry class in Picard is, I would not trust the current designers to come up with a good Enterprise F design.

17. Dukhat

Do you know why the Inquiry class was so terrible? Because it was based on an old design Eaves made for a defunct video game. Which is what the Enterprise-F would be if they go the same route. To me it looks like a Sovereign class and an Intrepid class had an ugly baby. It’s not original at all. But to each their own I guess.

Danja likes this.
  18. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

Personally, I think the Odyssey-class looks a bit plump, probably due to the lack of a neck. But yeah, I'd rather see the E-E again than anything resembling the Inquiry-class.

19. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not just show the E-E in flashbacks, and leave open whether there is a E-F?

20. Dukhat

I’m not sure they’d need to show any flashbacks with the Enterprise-E, since Picard wasn’t in command of it much longer after Nemesis.