Depraved Indifference

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Nakita Akita, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell, apparently “we” (meaning “the two of them”) didn’t learn anything from Mid-20th Century European History, either.

“Turn zem in, fraulein.”

Sibyl, teacake and Butters like this.
  2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The law is an ass.

Kemaiku, Sibyl and teacake like this.
  3. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I respect the law.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  4. Doom Shepherd

[​IMG]

Mr. Laser Beam and Sibyl like this.
  5. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I will continue to report such things....what they do or do not do with the info is up to them.

Nakita Akita and Sibyl like this.
  6. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

It wasn't long ago that *I* was illegal just for existing, even being a natural-born citizen. Some laws are unjust and need to be challenged. That's how we progress as a people.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Truth. Mind boggling isn't it?

Butters and Sibyl like this.
  8. Riker'sMailbox

Riker'sMailbox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Are you in the States? The state I live in has a Human Rights Board for vulnerable populations. The elderly are considered a vulnerable population. Not the population I work with, but I know enough from my dealing with the HRB for the population I do work with to know that informed consent and personal choice are the letter of the law. If a vulnerable person makes the choice to engage in a certain activity, even if they have been told that it is bad for their health, they have the right to do so. Your coworker may have provided the sweets, but it was the woman's choice to eat them. Your coworker may be immoral, but in the absence of a formal notice that the old lady was incapable of making her own decisions, there is not much that you can do. You also have no idea, since you stated that the old lady was always trying to bring in sweets, if she had another stash and ate them both.

You can certainly mention it to management, but I would not really hold up hope that anything, at all, will come from it.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  9. Riker'sMailbox

This is not something to be proud of. You have no idea of their status, unless you are also saying that you have spoken to each of those 100 employees and were able to determine with 100% certainty that they do not have the proper documentation.

My gosh, get a hobby.

10. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I knew a woman who worked in their department with them.
    I also was friends with a woman they used as a translator. Some people told her while translating for them that they were there illegally.
    That's how I knew that they were breaking the law.:sigh:

11. Nakita Akita

As above I knew people that worked with them. They talked together.
    The individuals told her that they were in the country working illegally.
    She had come here legally but she feared for herself and her kids so she didn't want to report them. :sigh:

12. Nakita Akita

They are commuting a criminal act.
    If you saw someone stealing a bunch of stuff from a neighbor's house, would you just ignore it? Or would you call the police?

A criminal stealing from your neighbor will get thrown in jail and separated from their kids.

13. Nakita Akita

So if you see a man chasing another man down the street and he grabs him and punches him in the face, and the man that was punched falls down.
    The man still standing turns around and runs off back the direction they just came from.
    Who do you call the police on?

Do you chase down the man that left to find out why he hit the other man?
    Or do you call the police and let them figure it out?

If you report something to the police, the police
    Investigate.
    See my other responses as to how I knew how and about how many people were working there illegally.
    As a law abiding citizen it's my duty to report crimes, after all the police can't be everywhere.
    The police will then conduct an investigation. ( or rather they are supposed to)

14. Butters

In this instance i wouldn’t call the police at all. I would assess whether the fallen guy posed a threat to me at all and then ask if he was ok and take it from there.

15. Nakita Akita

Well, the police officer that came to my worksite for a class he was giving said,

Possibly the man that received the punch just beat up the other man's wife or child.

Possibly the man that hit him hoped to incapacitate him then run back to call the police, and possibly help his wife/child.

Maybe the man that ran away was a murderer on the loose and the other man confronted him?
    Maybe he ran back to finish off the murder.

Lover's quarrel, theft, attempted theft, drugs, etc.

There are hundreds of scenarios that can be imagined, that's why the police use much caution and view all parties as suspect.
    They gather the involved parties and investigate to find the truth.

16. Butters

Your police scare me, if they treat everyone as a suspect, even when no crime has been confirmed, and they’re armed.

Like you say, a hundred possible scenarios could have led to a punch up in the street. They could have been brothers, love rivals, lovers. If the fallen guy can get himself to his feet, he can report the crime as he sees fit, or not,

teacake likes this.
  17. Riker'sMailbox

I just don't believe the scenario you relayed to us. I work with undocumented people and I am willing to bet the farm that 100 people did not just confess their immigration status to a coworker. Either you want to ruffle feathers here, or you have been had by whomever told you this.

Any for the fictional scenario that you asked me about above, I would asked the dude that was punched if he was okay and I would let him decide if he wanted to call the police. Not my business. And, because we are human and have prejudices and biases, I am willing to bet that there are plenty of people that break the law that you do not call the police on. Laws are like the bible, we cherry pick them to fit our own agenda.

Kitty Worrier, Avro Arrow and teacake like this.
  18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just as I thought, you did not know.

Kemaiku likes this.
  19. Nakita Akita

The women I knew worked there for years.
    The one that worked with the illegals had worked there for about 20 years.
    People would just be talking at work and mention it to her. I didn't say they went into a confessional booth or something.
    Some of the people had worked with her for years too.
    My other friend that worked as the interpreter, one man she was interpreting for sat across from her and told her that all of his papers were fake. He showed her his license and social security card and asked her if she thought they looked real.
    She told me this after she came back into the office. She was livid.
    I said something like "wow wash at a dumb guy to tell that to someone he doesn't even know."
    She really went off then.
    She told me that it happens like that a lot, and she was sick of it.
    That was the last time she did interpretation for them.

And just for the record, I was married to a very loving man of Mexican heritage who spoke fluent Spanish. His father was from Mexico and his grandparents on both side were from Mexico.
    He oassed away suddenly 4 years after we were married or we'd still be together.

20. Doom Shepherd

It's interesting that you equate working a job with committing assault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.