Deleted Season 2 Tilly Clip on io9

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by eschaton, Nov 8, 2019 at 5:00 PM.

1. eschaton

eschaton Commodore Commodore

Hey guys,

I just noticed io9 has a new Discovery article. In it, they feature one of the deleted scenes from Season 2 - a nearly three minute-long conversation between Tilly and "May" which was supposed to be in the third episode Point of Light.

Honestly, I think it's one of the stronger performances by Mary Wiseman, and it's very unfortunate it wasn't included in the season.

I don't understand the thinking behind "deleted scenes" when it comes to non-broadcast episodes in general. There's no limitation in terms of time - why not put everything on the table?

antinoos likes this.
  2. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was a really cool clip and a shame it was cut. And for fun, here's Tilly's PADD. There's one word cut off at the very end, "leadership" and when it loops back to what's at the very top.
    [​IMG]

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

It's not always a matter of time but pacing too.

4. eschaton

eschaton Commodore Commodore

Perhaps. If you look at the average episode of a serialized show like Game of Thrones, there's often very little in terms of an identifiable episode structure though. A bunch of stuff happens, and the episode tries to end on an interesting note.

Mind you, Discovery is usually less serialized than this. Episodes are usually about something, and have a discrete beginning, middle and end. I just don't think it's needed to hold viewers' attention any longer.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

If it were that simple, movies wouldn't have deleted scenes since they don't really have time limits they need to meet either.

fireproof78 likes this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

And, an old screenwriting adage is "Cut Act 1."Even if there are no time constraints you still have a story to tell that is paced to suit your audience.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Don't they have studies that tell them how long is "too long" for a movie as far as when people start losing interest and whatnot?

I mean, I loved Peter Jackson's Middle Earth trilogies, but the uncut 4.5 hour Return Of The King is really hard to sit through, and it was 3.5 hours in the theater.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s not true. They have to be a certain length based on the amount of daily showings at the theater they have.

serabine likes this.