Deleted Scene from Insurrection

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by kciss, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Franklin wrote: View Post
    Thematically, it was interesting and right up TNG's alley. As I've posted before, I saw it as 1960's communal left-wing college student values versus the values of that same group of people when they grew up into yuppies (which is why I thought it was neat that they turned out to be the same race). It was a "good Kirk, bad Kirk" thing: neither group was whole on its own. The Ba'ku needed the technology of the Federation to protect them, just as the college students needed their checks from Mom and Dad to sustain their lifestyles (the irony of that being lost on them). The So'na had sold out their ideals, just as many of the 1960s radicalized or very liberal students did when they got jobs, moved into gated communities, started paying homeowner's association fees, had children, and got IRAs.

The problem is, a story centered around conflicts of values like that just isn't going to be the whizz-bang big screen event and popcorn-munching treat moviegoers want to see. On the other hand, it would've been a top ten TNG episode, in my opinion.

It was, to put it diplomatically, a quiet movie that didn't know if it wanted to be taken seriously or not. It also lacked the charm of TVH, which was a 180 degree turn from what came before it. The only way TVH worked was that it was an open and complete farce -- in the good theater use of the term -- and everyone, even the characters, knew it.

Your last two paragraphs sum it up nicely. I've slagged Insurrection off as much as any, but it's not without merit - it has a feeling of the characters being close, almost like TOS movie in parts, some of the humor was still okay even though some of it sucked, and the location shooting was nice, I totally get what you mean about it not knowing if it wanted to be taken seriously - it ended up being neither one thing or the other and suffered for it. But it's still reasonably entertaining in parts, I do still watch it from time, I definitely don't hate the movie, I just find it a bit 'meh'

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, that's a pretty weak reason. At the time the Special Edition DVD came out, the film was only five years old. Surely the call sheets or other documentation would still have existed? I would have thought the Screen Actors' Guild would have been able to assist tracking down the artists. I find that quite hard to believe.

I always assumed it was because someone had objected to its inclusion, or else the DVD budget wouldn't stretch to paying Armin Shimmerman's fee.

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Non-speaking actors don't have to be in SAG.

4. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SAG has to keep track of them, just in case, though, surely. What if a director gives them a line, demanding that they be given SAG membership so the character looks like he wants while speaking? And don't tell me that's never happened.

5. Tomalak

If they don't even have a line, surely they don't have to be paid for a DVD release?

Nemecek's explanation seems somewhat dubious to say the least.

6. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

I don't know what to say, this is the story Mr. Nemecek told. Surely the two girls don't say anything during the scene. I suppose they had been paid as non-speaking extras for the movie, maybe they just needed their permission for the DVD release since they had been completely left out from the movie?

Maab

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

No, Insurrection had nothing to do with DS9 or the Dominion War, both received passing mentions and the movie continued nicely without them.

Both were irreverent to the story being told.

:)

Paul Weaver likes this.
  8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It's about using your image/likeness without your permission. It doesn't matter whether you speak or not (or even if you're an actor or not).

9. Tomalak

Really? You don't get residuals for being an extra do you? One extra can't hold up the release of a film or a DVD.

10. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The release form the non-speaking extras sign is probably for all general release formats, e.g.: theatrical release, DVD, bluray, etc. Deleted scenes are not general release formats, but bits of BTS not originally intended for distribution. This is the likely reason some deleted scenes get included, but others do not.

11. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

True that! The tng movies proved that berman/pillar had run out of creative steam. Paramount should have brought in a new creative person or group to breath new life into a sagging franchise. DS9 was a low rated show, voyager tried but spun down into the same ratings hell, and enterprise could have been so much more....

Congrats gents! You killed the goose with the golden eggs.

12. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

While I'd love to seen the Enterprise E go up against a Jem Hadar superbattleship, but I can't see the TNG crew ending the Dominion War in a mere 100+ minute movie nor can I see them leaving the movie open ended for DS9 to finish the war on TV. If anything the TV series should followed up on events from the movies kind of like what the MCU movies and Agents Of SHIELD are doing. But if anything the movies and TV series should standalone.