Defiance Season 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lucky, Jun 20, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assume if they showed up, parked and waited for the waking up part (ie didn't engage at all) earth would have nuked them.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Firstly, they don't have missiles aimed at space.

ICBMs go pretty high, yes a little bit into space, but then they go right back down again towards an earthly target, but a rocket intended for atmospheric flight and space travelling rocket are completely different creatures, because for a rocket to work in space, it needs to take it's own air supply. So the highest the can get is just past the threshold of space into low orbit.

The only countries with ICBM's currently are Russia, India, France, Israel, North Korea, China and the US, and most of those nations seem stable.

:)

What was that awful show on last month?

Starcrossed.

In the last episode, after earth spent ten years assimilating one ship into their culture poorly slowly and to be completely accurate: Not at all... A radio signal got to the rest of the fleet. Thousand more colony ships who now knew where Earth was, and were on their way.

How could that horrible rip off of Roswell be so disturbingly turgid?

3. teacake

Well that's interesting, yeah I can see we can't fire stuff into space as weapons. I wasn't thinking about real life weapons systems. And once they are parked in orbit we better know that whatever we do fire is going to utterly destroy them.

I have just now watched the minisodes, they tried to stop me with their racist video blocking but I vanquished them and the minisodes are MINE. Thought they were pretty good. Tiki Bar in the badlands, I liked that. I'm getting used to Nolan, the character is stupid and uninteresting but so was Archer half the time and at least Nolan's cliches have a certain homeyness to them.

4. Guy Gardener

And consider the opposite.

Dropping a bucket of bolts out a space window from one of their ships, can level a city.

Bucket vs specially fitted ICBM, or weaponized transportrocket like a Soyuz stuffed with C4... And Bucket wins.

How many buckets do you think they had up there?

Wow.

2500 years later and Alexander the Great is still right.

Always take the high-ground.

5. teacake

Every time we went out on the observation deck of a tall building when I was a child, which was surprisingly often, my dad would exuberantly remind me that if you threw a coin off you could kill someone.

IT WILL GO RIGHT THROUGH THEIR HEAD! LIKE A BULLET!

(my dad talked in capslock before there were capslock)

6. Guy Gardener

There wasn't capslock on Typewriters?

7. teacake

He is very old.

8. Guy Gardener

Wikipedia claims that the first few generations of typwriters did not have upper case letters, and that caps lock was originally eventually called shift lock.

I think Elaine from Sienfeld had to get rid of different men for being both closetalkers and loudtalkers.

Remember Janice from Friends? The loud screechy girl who always somehow kept bedding Chandler. She wound up marrying a guy who was 80 percent deaf.

How was your mothers hearing?

9. teacake

Well she never practiced it on him, so not sure.

10. Guy Gardener

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

I think I may have to watch some more Dominion tonight.

The Greys Anatomy disc in my dvd player is out of sync which is highly pissing me off.

3 episodes in a row since the beginning of season three where the cast is laconically dwadling behind the audio track.

####

And now it's! 4!

####

11. teacake

I can put up with a lot of awful quality but I can't put up with that. I haven't watched any Dominion yet. I am on Angel and Death Note, though I'm almost done with the latter. Just dawdling through it's Bab5 Fifth season episodes.

I have now read all of these Defiance backstory "news" articles:

http://defiancenews.tumblr.com/

Pretty crappy, everything written in the same dull voice but had some interesting factlets. Apparently the rest of the world is worse off than the ex-US currently is. Though I'm not sure how France can be transformed into a frozen wasteland with the Notre Dame encased in ice and Germany turned into a lush rainforest. It's weird they even talk about these places as countries still, as if the terraforming respects the borders :lol:

That bit was from:

http://www.defiance.com/en/series/world-of-2047/2047-map

Australia is not mentioned at all. But no one can fly into the atmosphere so it's not surprising, it's not like there would be a reason to set out by sea and find out what happened to it.

12. Guy Gardener

Is it possible that there is stuff in orbit still terraforming the earth with magic science beams?

France is an arctic wasteland, and Antarctica is a sunny beach.

It's almost as if the pole moved 90 degrees and now goes east to west rather than north to south and that's what the earth spins on to effect timezones and day to night.

Without the help of super science, if that had happened, the atmosphere and everyone on the planet would have been thrown into space.

Oh.

Does Earth have a ring now?

Why the equator is cold could have been because the Voltanis fleet didn't all fall to earth, but it's debris created a ring and therefore a massive shadow over central areas of the planet under the ring.

Remember how they were terraforming Mars in Enterprise?

Redirecting comets with that massive gun.

What if France is constantly being struck by icy comets?

Okay, no. But moving comets to source mass for an Earthican ring would be an excellent way to store resources like metal, minerals, air and water until someone with a brain and the authority to make plans can make real decisions if this thing is all completely automated up to the stories present day.

You have to remember that a human response to invasion by an alien force and total human enslavement would be self nuking.

The Voltans can't use an irradiated Earth, but they can use a half terraformed Earth and it removes man's ability to self nuke.

13. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't terraforming that changed the landscapes on earth and genetically modified flora and fauna.

It was the Arkfall. I believe it happened shortly after the Pale Wars when Votan terraforming ships in orbit around the earth rained down on the planet and radically altered the atmosphere and life.

14. Guy Gardener

Yes, there are some steps that went without saying because it is a common knowledge fact unlike like most of the fanciful fanfiction speculation I postulate...

The Arkfall accidentally triggered the orbiting teraformers.

Also because the terafomers where inadvertantly turned on as everything was exploding and spinning out of control, there was no guiding hand or plan telling the Teraformers how to do their job correctly, efficently or at all really.

It's a no-assed and incomplete job, some areas of the planet might have been missed entirely, while others might have been terraformed 6 times.

Completely random.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually it was teaformers on the ship crashing into Earth and turning on.

16. Guy Gardener

You're arguing over 15 minutes, maybe 10... less?

The terraformers WERE in orbit and then they FELL to Earth because they were in an ARK.

The Arkfall is when the Arks fell to Earth.

Ark(s) = all the ships in orbit.

Fall = No longer in orbit/Uncontrolled re-entry.

The Terraformers were in orbit, and then they weren't.

Ark fall = decent to the earth and further explosions and shit gets turned on.

Jesus.

Do you need to be so pedantic?

If the terraformers didn't fall to Earth then they didn't turn on because they were still unfallen up in space which is not Earth.

If they fell to Earth then they crashed.

If they crashed, they turned on or their magic science stuff leaked and exploded which started the terraforming despite being in orbit 5 or ten minutes earlier when the Arkfall began which seems more like the prime mover in this scenario, rather than 10 minutes after the arkfall, that they smashed into a planet.

It's like saying that a particular bullet killed someone rather than a finger pulling a trigger that firing the bullet did.

I'm assuming that there were dozens, or maybe hundreds of ships separately responsible for different parts of the terraforming process, but you are saying that every single one of those ships did not cum until they hit the Earth despite the clusterfuck of uncontrolled explodingness going on up there that several wads of preejacualte terrafoming tech could have been let loose without the intact ships themselves crashing to Earth just from catastrophic damage? Hell, if the ships were just exploding in orbit, the spires might have launched if they survived the explosions and survived re-entry.

Cause and effect.

Cause: Arkfall.

Effect: Everything crashed into the Earth or blew up in space and rained down on Earth, or stayed in orbit to many degrees of stability until they did or did not rain down to Earth later on.

Knock on effect: Some of the crashed terraformer tech after it crashed, activated.

Ipso facto: Arkfall is the root cause, until you deduce who or what caused the Arkfall.

17. teacake

So I guess each terraforming gizmo did something specific. That's how we ended up with the Notre Dame encased in ice and Germany a rainforest. What I don't understand is how these micro climates maintained themselves at such close proximity. I would have thought there would be a big freeze in France, a big vegetation and heat surge in Germany and then the ice would have started melting and the rainforests would have started cooling and stuff that wasn't compatible with those changes would die off.

I also don't get how if it mutated so many animals both alien and earth, smushing some of them together etc.. why weren't humans and Votans mutated?

18. Guy Gardener

Google says that a "spire" (Big metal tube) shoves itself into the Earth deep, releases some whacky energy that turns over the earth and infuses it with minerals and even more exotic transformative energies and then releases nanites which control the "votanforming" from that point on.

Not a beam from an orbital gun.

A missile fired from orbit that digs down to hell.

Google also says that limited terraforming was committed on small areas in Brazil within the confines of the Votan colony (2046) that set up decades before the Arkfall.

Nanites.

So yes, just like Revolution. :)

19. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Three words:

Video Game Logic.

You have to have different "zones" and easily polygonned monsters to make the game interesting, you see.

Whoever's idea it was to try and make a video game and a TV series in conjunction... just... I dunno. But it's Syfy, so who knows what the fuck those people are thinking.

20. teacake

So the nanites maintain the environment they are programmed to create. But I would assume that when this was done purposefully rather than randomly that would have a use by date. You wouldn't be creating a mini Votan jungle in the middle of Germany, you would be doing that in equatorial zones, after all the Votan vegetation and animals had taken over the area the nanites would eventually fizzle out because Votan life no longer needed a controlled habitat to flourish.