Deanna Troi's Outfits

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by NigellaDeanna20, Oct 23, 2015.

1. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Commander Red Shirt

possibly. either that or maybe the enterprise has some form of cleaning machine oboard.

2. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Probably no washing at all; just replicate and recycle.

3. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

My favorite! :beer:

image.jpeg

Kilana2 likes this.
  4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mini skirts are always a nice distraction while the ship is in danger! :drool:
    JB

5. T'Elann

T'Elann Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

She looked quite good in the uniform but I think the blue/green dress was the best her hair needed to have something done with it though

6. NigellaDeanna20

yeah, thats a lovely outfit. Kind of like that one myself.

7. NigellaDeanna20

Absolutely agreed! Certainly if you look at her hair in the third season, it did look a little bit questionable but in the episode "Family" season 4, goodness me! they got it absolutely right IMO!

8. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

Her blue duty uniform. All the other outfits made her look like a civilian employee and not a full fledged member of the crew.

9. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I preferred her movie hair over the tv hair. I think in the movies she had her own hair whereas on tv she wore a wig.

10. NigellaDeanna20

yes i agree. I think her hair looked the best in the episode "Family" (season 4).

11. NigellaDeanna20

possibly more than once!

12. NigellaDeanna20

of that they can be no argument!

johnnybear likes this.
  13. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The catsuits were never all that bad, in terms of not leaving anything to the imagination, or anything like that. I mean, I didn't see anything "wrong" with them, per se. But they looked really cheap and ugly. In that sense, yes, I think they did Marina wrong. She should've been costumed in something that flattered her, much more. The trim on the collar area always looked like shit, whichever catsuit was forced on her. The colours should've had a broader range to, again, flatter Marina, further.

I loved Marina's hair in the pilot episode, as it was completely hers and looked fantastic! Frizzed, beyond belief, but I don't care ... it looked good! Then she was bun-head, of course, in a foolish attempt to make her look more exotic, when the "exotic" look simply comes with the package of who she is. In short, I despised the cheapness of the catsuits and the infantile fashion design of them, but ... it was cool that they let her flaunt her wares a little bit, too. Indeed, her race seemed to have a very healthy libido, as it was. Marina's beauty should not have been called upon to do ALL of the work, though. Bob Blackman sucks as a costumer, it's just that simple ...

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

She always looked far better in standard uniform, though of all her civvies, the asymmetric turquoise dress was by far the best.

Part of me has always wondered if the skants were designed simply for Troi.

15. NigellaDeanna20

Not sure if they were specifically designed for Troi because if you look closely in that first season, you'll see men wearing them as well. Think the idea there was to promote a uniform that unisex uniform for both men and women in starfleet. Additionally, at the end of EAF you can just see Tasha Yar wearing one (the only time we ever saw her wearing one) on the bridge.

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I know it was a unisex alternative for all (funny how none of the main male cast wore it though) but given how it was her only uniform for years on the show, part of me has always thought of it as a way to promote Troi as "eye candy" before they decided to give her the jumpsuits.

Probably just me being a cynic.

17. KevinGrem

KevinGrem Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't know what a "bunny suit" is, but I'm assuming you're talking about the purple one. I disagree that it's not a good outfit. I really like the way it accentuates her hips. She has some amazing curves I must say.

18. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marina was not afraid to eat!

19. NigellaDeanna20

yes I believe that Marina has said that the producers did try to make her the "eye candy" for the series at one point.

20. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Those Troi costumes were uniforms of some sort, not civilian clothes, or else she'd have had something different on every day. For Commodore What's-His-Name to act as if she's been misbehaving for 6 years by wearing civvies, that was ridiculous.

I think it makes Trek fans look a bit silly when we focus in on such a modest hint of cleavage, either positively or negatively.

There's also a popular fan position that the uniforms must be totally designed for simple practicality, and nothing over and above that. I think that might be more of a passing present-day bias in our thinking. They'll need a vibrant and visually stimulating environment.

The two unitard things made her appear a bit like a child, not like a sex object. Season 1, that look just generally baffled me. The turquoise dress, though, that was perfect. She came across as dignified and adult, and competent, and the neckline may be part of that, exuding concidence. There's nothing in the costume that implies that she's just there to be a sex object. Now I've talked about it way too much myself...

Capn Nick likes this.