DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This does not change the fact that his style is embarrassingly awful. This is true because he obviously has talent but chooses not to work at improving and correcting his errors. He could easily start drawing the female form more tastefully immediately but he CHOOSES not to do so. What the F&^% is up with that?

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That was only the aborted Daemonite War crossover. The bigger problems at DC has been there for along time.

3. theenglish

The Daemonites played such a significant role in the first year of the new 52. I would like to see some resolution to it.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Aside from Hellspont popping up in Superman, what else did they do?

5. theenglish

All I bought was Superman, but they were the major plotline of Voodoo and Grifter. Granted, those series have been cancelled but was their any resolution to the story?

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Every time Liefield leaves a book an angels gets his wings.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And then she falls through a crack in the universe and has sex with a raccoon.

8. theenglish

Okay Guy, right now, you need to Google and watch the Canadian series The Raccoons. Then we'll talk about the emotional impact your post just made.

9. Guy Gardener

So 2 Angry Beavers is derivative?

10. theenglish

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  11. Guy Gardener

I already obeyed your first command to google those critters.

Then I referenced a later cartoon about other furries, while conflating it with a popular sitcom.

12. theenglish

LOL--Sorry for subjecting you to that. It was pretty evil of me. Wait till you see the episode where one of them joins the Guardians of the Galaxy.

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

What the actual fuck, DC?
    Aquaman and Mera are not married in the New 52

Really? :rolleyes:
    This is just getting ridiculous. What the hell is wrong with superheroes being married? Comics have gone on for decades with characters being married, and good writers have somehow managed to write good stories. Sure, go ahead and explore the possible consequences, but banning marriage is just being stupid and lazy.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh dear. I wonder what Geoff Johns thought of this decision given his love of Mera. This is just plain stupid.

15. Guy Gardener

How can Mera be Queen, which it is said that she is, without tying the knot?

Absolute Monarchs inside their own borders can officiate marriages by just saying "You're Married!"

They can dissolve marriages just as easily.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another thing that doesn't make sense. As Guy stated, Arthur has referred to Mera several times over Johns run as his Queen, implying IMO, that they're married. Unless Atlantis suddenly has some weird rules we've not been told about. Or Mephy is involved :)

17. theenglish

I think it was pretty obvious in the stories that they were "married" in whatever Atlantean sense of the world exists.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So this makes Animal Man pretty much the only superhero with an unannulled marriage? I haven't been reading Earth-2. Are Mister Miracle and Big Barda still married?

The thing is that Aquaman and Mera being married doesn't fit into DiDio's problem with superheroes having to sacrifice anyway. Mera is not some worried housewife that can be leveraged against Aquaman. She is a superheroine in her own right, just ass bad-ass (maybe more) as Aquaman.

19. theenglish

It is a stupid rationale on the part of Didio. Marriage can serve to ground a hero and give him or her something to fight for. Also, marriage is filled with sacrifice and hard work. And sometimes you have to spend long periods apart. Does Didio think that police officers, fire fighters, and soldiers should not be married?

20. Guy Gardener

I followed the link after posting what I posted, and it says that DC was called on mera being Queen with out being wife and their reply was "because" but this is all about Kathy Kane and Maggie Sawyer not getting hitched because DC hates Homosexuals.

(It could be a coincidence, that a sweeping ban on all marriage coincidentally vajected a big gay wedding after everyone civilized had already RSVPed.)