DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What mods there were lurked themselves.
    If you posted something that was too anti-DC/Warners in some manner you'd find your posts and any replies to those just gone at some point.

DC didn't run the most effective message board, like their comic-to-film division, but it had a good amount of users despite that. I'm pro-social media however FB and Twitter are not equal substitutes for a community feel you get on message boards and that is how they are treating the change, as equal swaps.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The DC message boards have been a warzone since they announced the 52 last summer. While community is nice, what they would hope is that new people visiting the boards would find posters supportive of the changes. That is not the case there, and from a marketing standpoint it is probably better for them to discontinue the boards.

3. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Is anyone reading Hawk and Dove? The newest Justice League Dark refers to it, so I thought I'd pick up # 5, but it seems to be an integral part of an arc. Can I read 5 without the others? Is the arc any good if I decide to read them all, or is it enough to know that Deadman broke up with Dove - inquire no further in Liefield-land?

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Liefeld causes me to actively avoid Hawk and Dove, well that's not the only reason, but...

Anyway, I believe that book is one of the ones DC is getting rid of later this spring/summer.

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i was wondering the same thing after reading the most recent Justice League Dark issue. i liked the Deadman/Dove pairing in Brightest Day but i didn't pick up Hawk and Dove due to Liefeld.

6. Derishton

My thoughts exactly, and it is indeed chopped, but I like the Deadman/Dove relationship. I actually thought it would just shift over into JLD, with Dove being at least semi-connected to the team. Apparently not.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

JLD is going to get better.

Lemire is taking over the book soon.

8. Trekker4747

One thing that sort-of annoyed me this week is how Superman #6's story references events that'll happen in Supergril #7.

I get wanting to connect books, fine. But connect ones in the past not ones that'll come out three weeks from now!

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Supergirl #7 is in the "past". Its the continuation of what happened in Supergirl #6, so it happened before Superman #6. Thats why they said "See Supergirl #6 and 7". Its not like Supergirl stopped what she was doing in her own book, hopped over to Metropolis, helped Superman and then flew back to NYC to pick up where she left off.

They also referred to Action Comics #7 which comes out in two weeks but takes place 5 years before Superman #6!!! GASP!!!

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I thought about getting the latest Superman when I flipped through it and saw a lot of Supergirl.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Books with fights between two heroes tend to do that. :shrug:

12. Derishton

:shrug: I'm enjoying it, but I also like Lemire, so I expect I'll continue enjoying it.

13. Saga

same here.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

All-Star Western #6 - Another fantastic issue. Our last in Gotham, as Hex and Arkham ascend out of their underground adventure they surface on the estate of Wayne Manor. We then meet Bruce's great grandparents. We leave Gotham next issue for New Orleans and I'm eager to see how the next guest stars are done. Palimotti has used a good transition as Hex is heading to New Orleans because his quarry in Gotham is believed to have fled there. This is one of the best scripted titles in the nu52.

Aquman #6 - which brings me to another of the best scripted of the nu52 with this title. Saved my favorites from this week to the last of my pile. This was one of those interlude stories that shows us what was happening back home as Arthur was in the desert last issue but it also shows how and what is needed for them to blend in the community. The Aquawoman schtick while a gag to the reader is I think meant to also show how little the public knows of Mera. They barely know Aquaman. They do know of Supergirl so by association I guess just go "Aquawoman". Now the story of Mera breaking the lewd and out of bounds grocery manager is something a bit much but if that happened a bit more there might fewer douches. The art was great and the closing panels indicate with Arthur back we are headed for answers regarding Atlantis next issue. Can't wait!

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It looks very spikey and reminds me of a pineapple. I can't say I like it at all.

17. Trekker4747

Oh god.... It's giving me flashbacks of Tim Burton's Superman costume.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not digging that. At least it's Earth-2, and won't be winding up on my regular Batman.

19. Saga

its cool. i have no problem with it. and please, its nowhere near as bad as that Burton Superman costume.

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Maybe we'll all warm to it once we see a fully inked and colored image.