Spoilers DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, May 22, 2016.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Funny, I think the opposite. I think Arrow has succeeded in overcoming the flaws of season 4 with its more "back-to-basics" approach, Legends has been more fun and had better bad guys, and The Flash has been doing at least as well as last season, if not better. The only one that I think has gone downhill at all since last year is Supergirl, which has tried to juggle too many plotlines and hasn't felt as grounded and thoughtful as the first season did.

2. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I hope the CW does something about "Supergirl". I would hate it that the only series with a female lead is disregarded.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Arrow hasn't been this good since season 2

The Flash season 2 was much stronger than season 3 but season 2 had a weak end so if 3 avoids that, then i'll be happy.

Legends is a toss up in my head, its hard to get a feeling for that show sometimes because its OTT with its campy nature.

Supergirl is probably the same but I feel S2 may edge S1 if it can stick the final few episodes. Season 1 I felt ended really well so it won't be easy to beat it.

4. Christopher

First off, I'm not sure what you mean by "disregarded." It's already been renewed for a third season. Second, whatever the billing order may be, Sara Lance has been treated as the lead character of Legends of Tomorrow this season. So two of the four Arrowverse series have female leads. Third, the majority of The CW's shows overall have female leads. In addition to Supergirl and Legends, there's also iZombie, The 100, Reign, Jane the Virgin, Frequency, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and The Vampire Diaries -- and a strong case can be made that Veronica and Betty are the real lead characters of Riverdale, despite Archie being the nominal lead. That leaves just Arrow, The Flash, Supernatural, The Originals (I think), and No Tomorrow with male leads.

5. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they packed all the "rehash" villains into one season, due to the nature of the show they can always use them individually later on if they come up with a good story, but stretching them out for more season-long stints would have been overkill.
    It would be fine by me if next season didn't even have an overall big bad, only standalone baddies, or perhaps several mini-arcs with their own villains.

It seems that people who expect their TV shows to make at least some sense prefer season 1, and those that don't mind crazy prefer season 2 ;)

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

A bit off-topic:
    Wil Wheaton's TableTop show on YouTube released a new episode today and Brandon Routh is in it for the second time, if you want to check it out.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He seems like such a chill guy.

Also, two videos in this link (look for the arrow)
    First is just a close up of Eobard's face as he is being erased from history, a second is the same shot, but a glitched render, it is kind of hilarious and terrifying at the same time. They sent as an April Fools to the VFX lead.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTAGJsUjw3y/

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I was playing Star Trek Online, and I ran into a familiar face

[​IMG]

Phoenix219 likes this.
  9. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Thats awesome.

22nd century? Some Temporal Cold War shenanigans going on somewhere? ;)

10. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

When's the Thanagarian Invasion expansion due out? :D

Phoenix219 likes this.
  11. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Legion of Super Heroes as future of the Federation?

12. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I caught up to the end of this show now. Late, I know, but my time for watching these shows is limited and my patience for LoT has been dropping for a while, so I just wound up prioritizing new episodes of other shows over catching up to this one.

Overall I would say season 2 did improve on season 1 in terms of characters. It maintained the humor for the most part. But the action is increasingly disappointing - Firestorm being sidelined for no reason is practically expected at this point, and most of the second half of this season the only characters who routinely used their powers were Nate and Amaya (the cheapest and least visually interesting powers). The time travel aspect is increasingly less fun, since it never makes any sense anyway and the stories they're telling are mostly just lame (Rory lecturing George Washington about America? Really?). And with the characters total lack of moral consistency or any concern for the consequences of their actions, it's difficult to even root for them at all anymore. Especially in regards to this finale, it's hard to even see how the Legends aren't actually just villains at this point. Doomworld may have been illegitimate and corrupt, but at least Thawne didn't jeopardize the entire universe to get his life back.

It basically comes down to the fact that the non-sensical nature of everything just keeps getting worse. Someone mentioned a few pages back how they were running out of patience with Supergirl's ongoing massive plot holes, but for my part this show is a thousand times worse at this point. I get the campy idea, but if you want me to just turn my brain off like that, then show me something truly off-kilter (like Adam West trying to get rid of a bomb). This show is still trying to present itself realistically even though its simultaneously not making the slightest effort to take itself seriously and it continues to ask me to emotionally invest in characters who are inevitably at the mercy of incomprehensible writing. It just isn't working for me at all.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally finished the second season, and my first thought is: just what happened to Rip's family, again? Savage killed them in the future as usual before they finished him off in the three different time periods. So... with Savage gone from the future, they should perhaps be alive?

But, okay, maybe they're dead for whatever reason. Yet with all the Spear of Destiny talk, and multiple conversations about Sara wanting to bring Laurel back, Rip's family is totally forgotten? No mention of how he might want to use the Spear to recover them?

I hope that at some point, this thread is picked back up again, or at the very least solidly concluded. Apart from that, a totally awesome season!

14. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I don't get this comment.

15. Grendelsbayne

They call themselves heroes and put the universe at risk for their own personal purposes. They lecture repeatedly about how dangerous it is to allow time aberrations, but they let themselves off the hook whenever they feel like it. They galavant around in the past with almost no concern for the effect their presence could have, often treating a new era to visit like a dream vacation or a trip to disneyland, trying to pretend that as long as they don't do something really big it won't matter (when it's blatantly clear that small things can change the past just as well).

16. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

They explicitly don't.

17. Christopher

Indeed they don't. Most of the second-season narrations ended with some variation of "But don't call us heroes -- we're something else. We're legends."

18. Grendelsbayne

The narration says that. The characters (not all of them, admittedly) say different. They even had a whole subplot about it when some other hero said they weren't really 'heroes'.