Spoilers DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, May 22, 2016.

1. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

[​IMG]

The concensus is that Legends of Tomorrow is a mixed bag. It has a compelling premise and a good cast but its time travel doesn't make sense. Whatever the case, the actors are having fun and the audience is having fun. It's the fastest paced and most action-packed of the Arrowverse shows. Personally, I think of it as CW's version of Power Rangers.

Season 2 will be here soon and we can expect to see some old faces gone with some new arrivals to take their place. The ending of season 1 introduced us to one of those new arrivals who happens to be known as Hourman and he brings with him the Justice Society of America to fend off a big bad that promises to be bigger and badder than Vandal Savage.

"The season two big bad is actually not going to be the [alien race of] Thanagarians. It’s going to be something else entirely. All I’ll really say about the nemesis in season two is Vandal Savage looks like a walk in the park compared to what the Legends will be facing. This will be a much, much bigger threat… People will be asking, ‘Vandal who?’ once they get the full picture of what our team is up against. It’s going to be way bigger than what you can even imagine. I can guarantee it." - Mark Guggenheim

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, they did have a Megazord battle...

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Calling it now. The Anti-Monitor.

4. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I don't want Thanagarians until the DEO, Martian Manhunter and Supergirl can be involved, anyways... plus we WILL need the Hawks for that, and they are taking a break for the moment.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I was thinking "Vandal who?" for all of Season 1, so I'm not sure what Guggenheim's point is.

Thestral and The Lensman like this.
  6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not that I especially care about pairings persee, but can we go back to Carter being dead? Maybe it's the DCAU fan in me but Shayera just seemed more interesting as a solo act.

As for the big bad...I'm hoping it's not Darkseid, the Anti-Monitor or Earth-3 Superboy.
    I'm thinking maybe Mongul or Despero. Even mid-tiers like Eclypso or the Preserver could work with a bit of a spin.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They won't do Darkseid because of the movies.

8. sojourner

The anti-monitor would work well with the time travel slant. They'll just give him a makeover to look more human in appearance to save on effects costs.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alan Scott (in Geoff John's JSA) said it best. "Vandal Savage maybe not be the most powerful opponent, or even the most dangerous, but... While the rest of our rouges gallery is trying to think about how to defeat us, Vandal Savage is thinking about eating us."

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Did Alan Scott have anything to say about Vandal's acting ability?

11. Guy Gardener

Phil Morris is awesome?

;)

Moving along to legends of tomorrow...

The guy playing Vandal is a foreigner, so I do wonder if he was told not to use an American accent, he can't make a passable American, or if the accent he is using is his own, or something he made up, since either I'm more used to it now, or how he talks has been mildly evolving since his premiere on Arrow last year.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Too bad they used up two of DC time related villains already. I guess there's still the Time Trapper and Epoch. And does any one really want to see Monarch or Extant? ;)

13. Guy Gardener

Monarch is Old Captain Atom.

(Yes, Hawk, Hank Hall, they fixed that in post, don't worry.)

That could be way cool. :)

14. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least Hourman brings a lot of potential with him. Rex's story intertwines with the android Hourman from the far future and his ties to the Worlogog map; his ancestry in Amazo; the tachyon hourglass; the Justice Legion of the 853rd century; the John Fox Flash of the 27th century; and Solaris - the star that was turned into a sentient computer. Of course, they seem focused on the Justice Society, so I'm not sure how far they'll delve into Hourman's life.

15. sojourner

Oh, funny you mention maps. Going back a couple episodes when they break out the paper time maps, did anyone else immediately think of Time Bandits when Rip was asked how he got it?

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

In fact, many were asking this during Season One.

I don't know DC well enough to throw out names but the show would benefit greatly from having a more compelling villain. That said, from what I gather Vandal Savage has worked better in other media so maybe the blame falls on the writers or actor. Kind of hard to pin it on the character when you have Ray Palmer free him from his cell. That's not going to do anyone justice.

17. Nerys Myk

That's more on how they wrote Ray than Savage. Savage in that scene played Ray like a violin. In the hands of different actor it might have been better.

18. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

Fun Fact: Dean Cain has played both Superman and Vandal Savage. Vandal Savage was supposed to appear on Smallville but they couldn't get rights to the name so the character was renamed Curtis Knox and it was implied that this was an alias that Savage used. This show's version of Savage also used that alias.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just saying it's hard to build a credible threat when the heroes are defeated by their own stupidity. But yeah maybe in other hands the scene would've played better.

20. Nerys Myk

Well,heroes doing something stupid that lets the bad guy get the upper hand is pretty common. So I'm not gonna knocking them too much.