Spoilers DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Another factor is that it'll be much harder to contrive a reason for secondary characters, villains and the like to show up in each other's shows if they remain in separate universes. Even throwaway lines like Cisco and Felicity exchanging software and the like off-screen helped enrich the feeling of a shared world. Supergirl may start to look a little lonely sitting off on its own like that.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it will look lonely at all. What happens if Supergirl's Earth is actually the Earth of the Justice Society. Regardless of whether the Justice Society was active in the past or in the present, it serves to connect the show directly to Legends and therefore to the other two series as well.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's not a matter of continuity and how things are connected but of characters inhabiting a shared living world. For example, for Banshee to show up on Flash, they'd have to have her cross universes. Which is fine for once or twice, but becomes increasingly contrived the more they do it. This is only a problem for SG characters since all the others can interact freely. Hence it looking isolated.
    Also, they've pretty much already ruled out doppelgangers as an easy way for cast members to show up like Earth-2 Laurel just did.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Easily remedied -- add a spinoff set in the Supergirl universe, like Martian Manhunter or Steel or Justice League International. That way we have two universes that each have their own sense of a larger whole, and that can interact with one another as needed.

As I've been saying, it's easy to concoct a way for interaction between universes to be commonplace. Just look at The Flash this season -- two members of the good guys' supporting cast, the main villain of the season, and the majority of the villains-of-the-week have come from Earth-2 even though most of the stories are set on Earth-1. Narratively speaking, crossing between universes can be made as casual as taking the train between Star City and Central City. Go back and read the various "Crisis" stories in the Silver Age and you'll see that it was actually pretty commonplace for, say, villains to swap universes and attack each other's superheroes.

Imagine, say, that it turns out the rift the Flash opened between universes is a permanent breach. Central City in Earth-1 and National City in Earth-SG are inseparably linked, and the breach allows regular crossings between the universes. Consider the story possibilities of that -- two Earths' populations coming into contact, establishing trade and technology exchanges. The governments negotiating treaties with each other. Imagine a security summit mediated by Lyla and ARGUS on one side and J'onn and the DEO on the other. "Breach stations" are built in both cities to facilitate travel and immigration. The Flash and Supergirl conduct a goodwill tour of both universes to assure the public that this will benefit everyone, and that the citizens of each world will be protected from the dangers of the other. Meanwhile, villains on both sides are making plans to prove them wrong, to extend their reach into new realms of conquest. And then, just when everyone's gotten a handle on the combined opportunities and dangers of the connection between these two universes, a new threat begins to emerge from beyond them both...

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Making a whole new show (the sixth in continuity and fifth concurrently running ) isn't what I'd call an easy remedy. Particularly if it requires removing arguably the best supporting character on the show.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Supergirl's lucky to still be going at this point. A spinoff probably isn't currently on the plate for consideration.

7. Christopher

It was lucky to keep going on CBS. The CW has different standards for success. And they've been happy to keep expanding the franchise, with their acquisition of Supergirl itself making that willingness clear. As I keep saying, even if it (and any sister show) is in a separate universe in-story, it's still part of the same narrative reality and the same intellectual-property franchise. In those terms, the difference between Earth-1 and Earth-SG is no more relevant than the difference between the Alpha and Delta Quadrants in Star Trek, or between the Milky Way and Pegasus Galaxies in Stargate.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

If you put it like that, the difference between Earth-1 and Earth-SG isn't any more relevant than the difference between Central City and Star City within Earth-1, so I'm not really seeing a compelling argument on what exactly would be lost if they were all suddenly on the same Earth. :shrug:

Thestral likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Saw a story somewhere that said CBS would have found a way to keep Supergirl if the CW had passed.

10. Christopher

More like they would've kept trying to find a way to keep it. The quote was along the lines of "Who's to say we wouldn't have renewed it if The CW hadn't made its offer?" Since it didn't actually come to that, we can't say for sure they would've done so, just that they would've been open to doing so if they could've found a way to make it affordable.

11. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

Even if CBS kept it, it would be struggling next year and it'd probably get cancelled for good.

12. Christopher

^Whereas The CW rarely seems to cancel anything. I suspect Supergirl is relatively safe in its new home.

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, those are bad examples ... At least for more than once or twice.

The stones in Universe seemed SOOO contrived, Atlantis seemed a little too routine, a and Voyager'z regular communication ruined the "lost and alone in Delta" concept.

Also, which universe gets to have the Justice League?

14. Christopher

The movies.

15. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm probably squinting at the storyline, but my belief is that only the final (2166) Savage was the one who was made mortal, and two local Savages were just severely weakened by the meteor enough to temporarily die. Savage '58 was burned to death by Rory, but was able to revive himself (and heal from the burns) shortly thereafter. Enough to make it back into town and mess with the Legends as we saw in an earlier episode. Savage '75 may have laid low for awhile after his death, before hiking off to Russia. I don't recall if he did anything in that episode after the arms sale.

I thought 2021 was an interesting date (albeit another round number, exactly 5 years in the future). I'm glad the final showdown wasn't in May 2016. I also think the Legends should've been returned from whence they came (January 2016), since they all left anyway after a day or two and it wouldn't affect the other shows. Although I guess that ruins Sara's learning of her sister's death and non-vengeance pact, although I didn't see how that was necessary just now. They should've saved it for the next big crossover.

I'm calling it now: I'm pretty sure Clarissa is having an affair. She seemed way too eager to have her husband disappear for another several months on "superhero business" and not angry or concerned or upset about his previous unexplained five-month sabbatical.

16. Christopher

It's been a pretty standard TV convention for the past couple of decades to pretend that episodes take place on or around their airdates, even when the serialized plotting suggests a much shorter time frame. Besides, if they hadn't done it this way, then we wouldn't have had a scene of Sara dealing with Laurel's death, and that would've been seen as a major oversight. Naturally some fans will complain no matter what you do, but I think there would be more complaining if they'd ignored then issue.

17. Morpheus 02

Haha. Very funny.

Being a part of a Superteam is another fundemental block of superheroes. And having at least one of the big 3 (1. Superman 2.Wonder Woman and 3.Batman) is also a core part. Supergirl would fill the role of 1 & 2

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

There are other teams. Teams that don't have one of the big three.

19. Christopher

I've seen it proposed that maybe Supergirl could do a Justice League International spinoff starring David Harewood as J'onn. They can't get the movie-star heavy hitters, so let's go for the goofy-misfit team. The problem is that Booster Gold seems to be getting a movie too (from Berlanti, in fact), so you probably couldn't get the Beetle-Booster duo. And Power Girl's probably out since Melissa Benoist wouldn't be able to be a regular on two series at once. No Black Canary or Shazam either, and Dr. Light's been done as an Earth-2 Linda Park. But you could get characters like Fire, Ice, Mr. Miracle and Barda, Captain Atom, Elongated Man, maybe Guy Gardner (if the movies aren't using him), and so forth. Heck, we've met Maxima on Supergirl, and she was a JL member during The Death of Superman.

20. Morpheus 02

The thing is...there are 4 concurrent DC Superero shows right now on CW...that's really pushing it, making for oversaturation. Adding anything for Earth-SG would at best be a filler show (like Agent Carter). I don't think they could gain any bigger audience, and the current audiences will probably not want to add more to their viewing plate.

Maybe we could do a poll on some of these suggestions...