DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Yeah, that doesn't look very good. Some of those scenes weren't far off from The Marvel Superheroes.

Hmm... I'm still not eager to see another version of Crisis, but centering it on Matt Bomer's Barry Allen seems like it might work well.

As for the animation, it looked about typical of the DC Animated Movies, though I'm not a fan of the thick-lined character design style of the current "Tomorrowverse" continuity.

It looks stiff, it looks flat, and it looks uninspiring.
Worse, the writing has largely been flat and uninspiring. The previous verve is sorely lacking.

Edit: No, it's not just the writing. There's some kind of lackadaisical tone that seems to envelope everything. The writing, the acting (the acting is not terrible, it's just...flat?) and editing. The pacing of these things is awful. Not necessarily the pacing of the films as a whole, but within the scenes themselves. Characters feel like they stand around and take slightly too long to react to everything, like they're in a dream. At least, that's how my memory/impression of them has been. That impression may not stand up to scrutiny. ;)

Good lord. I get why they didn't do the whole previous animated media versions as alternate universes thing, because having a closer look at the animation... I mean, this looks awful. It looks stiff, it looks flat, and it looks uninspiring. Their budget must have been tiny compared to previous outings.

I guess they were basing this Crisis on the bootleg CW version instead of the George Perez drawn version....

Watched Blue Beatle. I can see why they had it as a direct to digital movie. Reminds me of those crappy 90's tv pilots that didn't get picked up and networks would air as special events.

Watched Blue Beatle. I can see why they had it as a direct to digital movie. Reminds me of those crappy 90's tv pilots that didn't get picked up and networks would air as special events.

Prime example:

PdPlfiJ.jpg

Whether on TV like the JLA pilot above or Batman and Robin in theaters, 1997 was an abysmal year for live action DC properties.

WW84, both Shazams, Aquaman, The Suicide Squad, the Batmans, and possibly one or two other DC movies I'm forgetting were also just up on Amazon Prime for a month or two before pulled a couple weeks ago.
I understand they're doing to bring in more money, but I'm still a little shocked they're putting this stuff up on places like Tubi and Prime, you'd they'd want to keep that stuff exclusive to Max and push it harder as a reason to subscribe.

WW84, both Shazams, Aquaman, The Suicide Squad, the Batmans, and possibly one or two other DC movies I'm forgetting were also just up on Amazon Prime for a month or two before pulled a couple weeks ago.
I understand they're doing to bring in more money, but I'm still a little shocked they're putting this stuff up on places like Tubi and Prime, you'd they'd want to keep that stuff exclusive to Max and push it harder as a reason to subscribe.

I don't know what max is like in the US but the version we have over is easily the worst streaming service I've ever tried. If it was at all representative of the brand I wouldn't be in the slightest surprised to hear that max is spiraling and may wind up the first major casualty in the streaming wars.

I don't know what max is like in the US but the version we have over is easily the worst streaming service I've ever tried. If it was at all representative of the brand I wouldn't be in the slightest surprised to hear that max is spiraling and may wind up the first major casualty in the streaming wars.

Hey fellow Dutchie!
In what way would you call it worst? I mean, it's the one I watch the least. But you do mean platform stability or content?

I've never really had any problems with it when it's come around in my streaming rotation, and I've watched quite a bit of stuff on it.

Hey fellow Dutchie!
In what way would you call it worst? I mean, it's the one I watch the least. But you do mean platform stability or content?

I mean content. It has good movies, but they were all ones I'd already seen a long time ago and the ones I really liked I already own on disc. The HBO stuff was all old/already seen or looked so bad I had no interest in trying. The DC content was more absent than not and most of what was there was all of my least favorite DC stuff while the DC content I was most interested in was all missing. And the only max original I could find that turned out to be worth watching was His Dark Materials which already ended after only three seasons. I've never had a harder time finding something I actually wanted to watch on a streaming service, even on Amazon Prime which is objectively way smaller in terms of total content but at least it has a strong line of interesting and good quality original stuff.

And the only max original I could find that turned out to be worth watching was His Dark Materials which already ended after only three seasons.
His Dark Materials wasn't a Max original, it was just a regular HBO TV series, well technically it was a BBC/HBO co-production.

Back