DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

The Snyder Cut was not an illegal, rogue action released against WB's authority, but sanctioned by WB. The heart of the movement wanted to see the legitimate production completed, not stolen footage cobbled together. Further, the Snyder Cut was the originally intended culmination (part one of it) of the DCEU Snyder established across several films.

Batgirl has no such weight behind it, as its a single, branching off story from the Flash movie, and there are some advocating the theft and distribution of footage all due to whatever they--alone--have told themselves about the merits of a film they know nothing about.
Nice try. https://sparkchronicles.com/zack-sn...l-montage-from-warner-without-returning-them/

The Snyder Cut was not an illegal, rogue action released against WB's authority, but sanctioned by WB. The heart of the movement wanted to see the legitimate production completed, not stolen footage cobbled together.
Aside from the question of whether Snyder actually stole harddrives from WB, he very much leaked set photos and movie stills that were definitely not sanctioned for release.

But, apparently a leak is worth the risk to some. Don't expect me to agree.
Again, not what anybody here is saying.

Well, I thought I explained it before, but I guess I'll give it another try: We're not hoping for anybody to risk their career in order to leak this film. I mean, we all (well, apparently with the exception of TG1) would love for WB/D to reverse their decision and make the movie available legally. It currently doesn't look like that will happen.

And we're also not oblivious to the reality that creative people are very passionate, and very much want their work to be recognized by an audience. Leaks happen all the time. I just mentioned how Snyder strategically used leaks to hype up support for the Snyder Cut to be released.
So while nobody wants anybody to risk their livelihoods, why would we be surprised if somebody involved with the production who has access to the film (which some people must have, what with the funeral screenings happening) decided that to them the risk was worth it and do leak the film?

And if that happened, then, yeah, without any other way to watch the film, I would watch it that way.

why would we be surprised if somebody involved with the production who has access to the film (which some people must have, what with the funeral screenings happening) decided that to them the risk was worth it and do leak the film
Color me different then. I would be surprised

Because I would like WB to have a shot at recovering and the people who worked hard on the film to continue being employed.

As I mentioned, nobody ever identified the leaker of the Roger Corman Fantastic Four film. And as Kai said, Zack Snyder leaked some things and got away with it, and other leaks happen all the time in Hollywood, apparently without destroying careers. So I have to wonder if the risk of horrific legal consequences is as much of a certainty as you seem to assume.

Then what? If it's leaked we should rejoice?

Rather, it's an unfortunate situation no matter what, but sometimes civil disobedience is the only response to injustice. Killing the film hurts a lot of people, emotionally (see Ivory Aquino's tweet thread linked above) and financially by denying them their share of the profits for a film that will never be allowed to earn a profit. So if you're worried about the people working for WB, maybe you should be more worried about the damage Zaslav has inflicted on them than the risk one of them might take onto themselves if they choose to leak the film. At least letting it be seen would mean something emotionally to the cast and crew, and a lot of the audience.

After all, if they do so, it's their choice to take that risk. And presumably they'd be aware of the risk and choose to take it anyway, which suggests there'd be something they considered more important. Heck, maybe they don't want to keep working for Warner Bros. after what's happening to it. Or maybe they care enough about their colleagues' right to have their work seen that they're willing to take a risk onto themselves to get it out there.

Then what? If it's leaked we should rejoice?
Should we mourn? lament? acts of contrition?
I'm being over-the-top but so is "egregious sin" "rejoice" "masterwork" "golden era" and so on that others are saying.

Has anyone here ever seen:
The Star Wars Holiday Special?
The Roger Corman Fantastic Four?
The David E. Kelley Wonder Woman Pilot?
The Buffy Animated Series pitch reel?
The recently found US Sailor Moon pilot?
and so on

I think everyone has probably availed themselves of one or more of these at some point. I'm not sure why some people are so passionate others might get a peek at a corporate write-off.

:wtf:

What about leaked screenplays? Kevin Smith's Superman Lives. George Miller's Justice League: Mortal. Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman. Never looked up one of those?

Has anyone here ever seen:
The Star Wars Holiday Special?

I saw it the night it debuted on network TV, while I was over at the house of my best friend who was a big Star Wars fan (and had a color TV before we did). It's unlike your other examples in that it actually was shown to the public through normal, legal channels, despite how Lucasfilm tried to quash it in later years. So no bootlegging or leaking was required -- just people taping it off TV and saving the tapes.

I saw it the night it debuted on network TV, while I was over at the house of my best friend who was a big Star Wars fan (and had a color TV before we did). It's unlike your other examples in that it actually was shown to the public through normal, legal channels, despite how Lucasfilm tried to quash it in later years. So no bootlegging or leaking was required -- just people taping it off TV and saving the tapes.
True, but I suspect a lot of people have refreshed their memory with someone's else's recording at some point. None of the fine people in this thread of course but some of the reprobates I've known over the years.

True, but I suspect a lot of people have refreshed their memory with someone's else's recording at some point. None of the fine people in this thread of course but some of the reprobates I've known over the years.

Hardly unusual -- you can find taped-from-TV episodes of all sorts of old shows on YouTube or Archive.org or the like. So it's not in the same, more exclusive category as unreleased productions that have made their way into the wild. For those, it generally has to be an inside job and only a few people might have access, unlike an old show that was watched by millions and taped by perhaps thousands.

My point, dumb and futile as it was, it that it is as morally wrong and technically illegal to watch it on anything other than your own personal copy videotaped at the time. Moreso even since the creator of Star Wars personally objected to releasing copies to the public. But yes you are correct it is technically different from the other examples.

Back