DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I heard a rumor that the actress who played Luv in Blade Runner 2049 was up for the Mera role. Wonder how that would've gone.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

She could have probably done a good job, but at this point all I can see when it comes to her is Queen Kane from See.

She was even better on Longmire.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I will give you another example: it is well known that on the 1966-68 Batman TV series, Neil Hamilton (Commissioner Gordon) did not get along with Stafford Repp (Chief O'Hara) off-set due to the former disliking Repp's exaggerated performances, but once the cameras were rolling, they played their parts with no one questioning if the characters' particular relationship worked. They were actors, and once on set, they knew what they had to do.

In Affleck's case, he's in the Flash movie, and has stated it was supposed to be his last appearance, but the grain-of-salt-required rumor mill suggests he might be interested in another turn as Batman. Who knows.

Fisher was the victim in his case, and stood his justified ground, so in the wake of his being removed from the WB productions, its WB that has the appearance of mistreating the injured party. ...and you're right, Cyborg did receive his spotlight in the Snyder Cut, so at least for Fisher, his work with the character / good screen time is not lost or in the "what if?" category.

Cavill's Superman story was handled well, particularly for a film set in this period of time.

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  5. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's surprising if true. I mean, they just announced the casting for the two leads a week or two ago. Maybe Discovery is coming in and flexing its muscles right away, which could be a good thing, if anybody there actually has a plan for what the company wants to accomplish with DC. Most importantly from my perspective, there was the recent report that revitalizing Superman was a priority.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't believe anything unless it comes directly from Warner Bros/DC or the Hollywood Trades.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, it seems kind of odd that they'd make the big casting announcement and then cancel it a few days later.
    On the other hand, Discovery did just come in and big shifts like this are to be expected. If this is true, I wonder if this, and the cancellations of Legends of Tomorrow and Batwoman could be seen as a sign that they're going to be scaling back their number of DC productions.

8. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

The more optimistic take is that they'll hopefully be making smarter decisions about DC productions.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Corroboration is important, but one look at how the "new owners" pulled the plug on a massive streaming effort by CNN just one MONTH after it had gone live (and after it had recruited fairly serious talent from other networks) suggests this kind of "don't care if it was just announced" type of releases won't be unusual over the next little while.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just wait until Aquaman is working with a crabbing vessel and Wonder Woman has to survive the jungle while being naked and afraid.

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps they reconsidered the wisdom in making a Wonder Twins anything. Despite other version of the characters appearing in more recent times, its still heavily associated with a 1970s cartoon and whatever part of that generation who watched it. Of all DC properties one could adapt from that deep catalog, one has to question the sense behind choosing the Wonder Twins.

Or they might see the light with the kind of adaptations and talent involved, since LoT and BW were never examples of DC adaptations at their finest.

12. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aquaman was stained by his cartoon appearances and reputation that resulted from that but seems to be doing just fine. Not that the demographic studios markets to these days remembers that (it's not us oldies they're trying to attract anymore). We're talking 40 years here.

Any character can move away from the past and be successful with the right creative team (Batman 66 to Batman 89 and beyond, anyone?). If Aquaman and a movie about a talking Raccoon can be successful, Wonder Twins could be just as easily.

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'Legends of Tomorrow' was one of the most acclaimed DC projects ever made.

crookeddy likes this.
  14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not exactly. Aquaman's portrayal in '60s and '70s cartoons was no better or worse than how any other superheroes were portrayed in the same medium. But there were a couple of Cartoon Network short segments made a couple of decades later that made a joke out of Aquaman being lame in Super Friends ("My power to talk to fish is useless!"), and they "went viral," as they say today, and became an instance of the phenomenon where people mistake the parody of a thing for the reality (as with people assuming that President Ford was really as clumsy as Chevy Chase portrayed him on Saturday Night Live, or assuming that Carl Sagan actually said "billyuns and billyuns" all the time). So the "Aquaman is lame" meme was a (relatively) modern invention that people back-projected and assumed had always been the case.

dupersuper likes this.
  15. M'rk son of Mogh

Ah, good point, which actually supports the idea that the association with the cartoon would be even less of an issue for Wonder Twins than Aquaman.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The earliest pop culture mention of Aquaman being lame that I'm aware of was the superfriends sketch on The State from 1994.

17. Christopher

I don't agree. After all, Aquaman has a long history in the comics, but the WT were invented for Super Friends. Their association is pretty much exclusively with the cartoon. And let's face it, it wasn't a great cartoon. I grew up watching Super Friends in first run, and I definitely think the Wonder Twins are lame.

My point, which I should've made clearer, is not that Super Friends' Aquaman wasn't lame. My point is that everyone in Super Friends was lame. Even Batman was lame there. With other DC heroes, you can refer to their comics adventures and find better portrayals. Hell, Aquaman in the '40s was such a badass he literally threw polar bears at bad guys. But the Twins are nearly exclusive to the cartoon, aside from homages in things like Smallville.

18. M'rk son of Mogh

Do you think there's no story to tell that could fix how they're viewed? Especially since they're going to be brand spankin' new to the people that matter anyways.

19. Christopher

I didn't say that. I just said I don't think an analogy to Aquaman holds, for the reasons I gave. The "Aquaman is lame" meme is a '90s joke that people mistook for reality. The Wonder Twins' perception as schlocky dates back to their origin.

20. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

(But Jason Momoa's Aquaman rocks. :techman:)