DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What I'd love from Coates' Superman script is for it to be a Calvin Ellis story, not a Clark Kent story, because I think, based on Coates' non-fiction work, that he'd be brilliant at writing a story about, essentially, Barack Obama as President Superman. It's truly something new and different (and very unlike anything anyone else is doing), it wouldn't step on anyone's toes (ie., Superman & Lois), it doesn't preclude Cavill from reprising Superman when he has time, and if it's successful it could launch its own series.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Yup, that’s what I was thinking too. Both he and Toby Emmerich mentioned a new way of telling Superman’s story, which would also fit with that take. I note that Coates also talked about being invited into the DC Extended Universe.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

He also had substantial notes to work into the script. While I can't remember him giving examples, Kevin Smith's Jon Peters' stories should give a good impression of what the script writers had to deal with.

4. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

In retrospect, they probably should have gone with his script, given the reaction to the other Superman films since that time. Like Terminator Salvation, the leaks proved that one of the worst things these films can be is "more of the same" and maybe some risk-taking is needed.

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  5. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Per The Hollywood Reporter, the intention is indeed for this to be a black Superman.

Allyn Gibson and Captaindemotion like this.
  6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Keep telling yourself that lie, if it makes you feel better.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You still expect to see a Cavill movie soon?

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, that certainly counts as a fresh take on the mythos. And it's a character that could coexist with Cavill's version, especially with the multiverse idea catching on everywhere lately.

dupersuper likes this.
  9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh. Well at least Kurtzman isn’t on it.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Why does DC keep hiring directors who refuse to work with one another on making a cohesive whole as opposed to "My way or the Highway" types who want every self-contained?

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the strategy they went with after the Snyderverse's bad reception.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because their movies are going to be more loosely connected now, so they're not as concerned with them working together now.
    That was my first thought when I saw Coates name.
    That would be more evidence that it'll be Calvin Ellis, but they could still go with a black Clark Kent. I'm fine with it either way.

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depends on your definition of Snyderman. If just mean the actor himself... I hope not. Henry Cavill was well cast.

On the other hand, some of the writing (i.e. the later scenes with Pa and Ma Kent, which sabotaged the "super" teaching they were developing kid Clark).. i hope would have a different tone, maybe even some reasonable retcon to help us see why Superman is a hero.

Funny that the multiverse was originated by comics DC, but now the DC FU will be the follower in it (as far as the FU...yes, i know about the Arrowverse)

I thought, even before Snyderverse, that the DC FU was supposed to be "director led", as opposed to the MCU which has Kevin Feige making sure things are connected. How early had Patty Jenkins been chosen as the WW director? Before or well after B V S?

Now i absolutely do NOT think we needed a story thread like the Infinity Gauntlet to connect everything...we just needed a sense that each movie was in the same universe (which Shazam kinda did). I am fine with the tonal differences between WW, Aquaman and Shazam -- they all felt right for the character. But Snyder's stuff just felt off....

With the new Coates movie I am open to it... it could fit in, the same way Into The Spiderverse the the MCU SPiderman can fit together. But the disjointedness of the DC FU as well as the non Arrowverse shows, all happpening at the same time, just feels like a mess that dilues the audience -- and the excitement.

I remember when The FLash TV show (2nd) was in the works... where each piece of news made us all excited, and the introduction of characters helped propel the show to #1.

we just don't see it here.

The other thing in our MCu vs. DC FU debates is that with the MCU actors.. OFF screen, they seem genuinely ecited about their films as well as EACH OTHER . I just don't get any sense of that with the DC FU. ANd i think that just hurts the future of the movies.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Because that what DC wants. They want stand alone features, not the directors.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean caucasian, American Indigenous, or black?

Seriously, do all your cousins have the same skin tone, hair color, and eye color as you?

Besides it looks like the new Superman will be a multiverse story with Calvin Ellis as Superman.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  16. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good old Ray Fisher is at it again accusing Warner's of hiring Ta-Nehisi Coates to draw attention away from him.

It's truly impressive how he manages to be both right in regards to Whedon and an utter moron in every other respect.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You would think finally being vindicated on Joss Whedon would be enough to get him to finally move on.

kirk55555, Anwar and Morpheus 02 like this.
  18. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if he even knows that Coates is a multiple award-winning, massively acclaimed writer who has accomplished more in his life already than Fisher ever will?

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

And they would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for this pesky kid.